Posted to uk.d-i-y
NT[_2_] NT[_2_] is offline

Default Matching mortar

On Jul 27, 1:20*pm, Graham Jones wrote:
Hello,

I need to do some re-pointing, the sand used in the existing mortar has
tiny stones in it so I assume it is sharp sand. But would this be only
sharp sand or could it be a mixture of sharp and soft?

Is there anything wrong in just using sharp sand (and obviously cement)
for re-pointing? Will it be hard to work with?

The other problem I have is matching the mortar colour, B&Q and Wickes
only seem to sell very dark orange building sand. This is totally the
wrong colour for me. If I went to a builders merchants (Jewsons for
example) would they have a choice of sand colour?

Also B&Q sell kiln dried sand which is a much paler colour, what is this
for?

Thanks,

Graham

For pale sand just look around at what's on offer. Dried is fine in
pointing, but sounds like you need sharp. I'd just drive to a few BMs.

NT