Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default New televisions from China or Taiwan

In message eV13o.259973$sD7.101993@hurricane, ARWadsworth
writes

Tim Watts wrote:
The Natural Philosopher
wibbled on Sunday 25 July 2010 20:22

Fortunately, the TV showroom is your friend. If they wont watch you
select a bunch of different channels, and play with the controls, find a
shop that will.

Neither Comet and Curries round T Wells have a real aerial feed which
makes testing impossible.

well **** them, then.

Is that allowed?

Prolly not in full view of the public ...

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tim Watts
scribeth thus
The Natural Philosopher
wibbled on Sunday 25 July 2010 20:22

Fortunately, the TV showroom is your friend. If they wont watch you
select a bunch of different channels, and play with the controls, find a
shop that will.

Neither Comet and Curries round T Wells have a real aerial feed which makes
testing impossible.

Couldn't believe it - I did have a major go at them before wandering off
somewhere else.

Bit like PC World not having WiFI while trying to flog iPads and related
stuff - what ****tards run these places?...

Grade A ones.. Wandered into curry's in Cambridge was given some right
olde ********, nearly died laughing when he told me they couldn't get
one aerial to feed so many tellies as the pictures wouldn't be bright
and colourful enough;!....

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
Tim Watts wrote:
The Natural Philosopher
wibbled on Sunday 25 July 2010 20:22

Fortunately, the TV showroom is your friend. If they wont watch you
select a bunch of different channels, and play with the controls, find a
shop that will.
Neither Comet and Curries round T Wells have a real aerial feed which
makes testing impossible.

well **** them, then.

Is that allowed?

Sure..They would probably enjoy it.
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Henson wrote:

Back to John's original question as to which brand of TV, I think the
same applies as to most things, you get what you pay for. I would always
go for the best brand that I could afford.

I'm always puzzled when I see that statement. What does it mean, to be able to
afford something? Does it mean spend the maximum you can before going without
food this month? I could afford to buy a Rolls Royce, in the sense that I have
sufficient liquid assets, but I wouldn't dream of it. Surely there's always
some sort of balancing of cost and reward, i.e. value for money, going on?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
The Natural Philosopher
wibbled on Sunday 25 July 2010 20:22

Fortunately, the TV showroom is your friend. If they wont watch you
select a bunch of different channels, and play with the controls, find a
shop that will.

Neither Comet and Curries round T Wells have a real aerial feed which
makes testing impossible.

well **** them, then.

Is that allowed?

Alternative answer

.... saves subscription to those expensive cable channels

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/07/2010 21:54, Tim Watts wrote:

Bit like PC World not having WiFI while trying to flog iPads and related
stuff - what ****tards run these places?...

I'm rather tempted to bring a small laptop into these places, broadcast
a small local unsecured hotspot and watch the iPads automatically join
it - and then when Safari opens and requires DNS... Oh how e_v_i_l ;-)

--
Not Me
Posted to uk.people.silversurfers,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

Bob Henson wrote:

One problem with built in tuners is that, as far as I am aware, most of
those sets don't have a hard drive and recording facility built in, thus
necessitating another box as well.

It's just more convenient to have everything available on the TV set's
remote. I prefer not to have the TV set reliant on an external box.

Bill
Posted to uk.people.silversurfers,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

Bill wrote:

The bunch of no-marks who "planned" the digital changeover have stuck
Welsh TV onto a mast designed to face the opposite way and provide the
sheltered-from-Winter Hill, Mersey shores of Liverpool with English TV.
This mast is now pointing Welsh at the mainly English speaking Welsh
banks of the Dee and in the process has made reception in this part of
Cheshire pretty weird. Polarisation and channels of these backward
facing Welsh are virtually the same as WH, so this is a real test of the
logic of tuner set up procedures.

All verrrry interesting... See also
http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/article...at-retunes.pdf

Bill
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,uk.tech.digital-tv

On 25/07/2010 13:41, john hamilton wrote:

Grateful for any advice on what you might think is a good buy of reasonable
quality around at the moment, bearing in mind I would prefer to keep the
price down if possible. Many thanks for any advice.

In order of (descending) importance for non-critical 'coronation street' use

1) easy of use
2) reliability
3) sound quality
4) power consumption
5) picture quality
6) features 1080p
7) make - Morrisons Neon
8) country of manufacture - Ex soviet bloc

In order of (descending) importance for critical 'bluyray films in the
dark' building in bragging rights ...

1) country of manufacture - Japan
1) make - Sony
2) features 1080p
3) picture quality
4) power consumption
5) sound quality
6) reliability
7) ease of use

Or thereabouts ;-)

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.people.silversurfers,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

In message , J G Miller
writes
If you have a digital converter box which allows you to reposition the
LCN of stations on the EPG such as the Sony VTX-D800U, then any such
problem of receiving stations from multiple transmitters can readily be
solved, except for the annoyance of when having to do the regular
re-scan for changes to the EPG.

That was really my point. Presumably someone in the Sony organisation,
and any other moderately well known badge, has realised that in some
backward parts of the world such as the UK, digital planning might have
been economised out of the system.
The STB that ended up with the list of random channel numbers and a
translation chart was from a pile of, I think, Matsui badged things in
Curry's. We had previously taken 2 other faulty STB's back to another
Currys. Before one of them died, I'd failed to make it remember the
re-located stations. In between, I discussed with the nice man in Comet
whether we could return his STB if it wouldn't re-number the channels.
He said no. I thanked him and left.
--
Bill

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,uk.tech.digital-tv

On 25/07/2010 13:41, john hamilton wrote:
Have now given up on the idea of having our old crt television set repaired,
and am looking at the televisions listed in Argos etc, the sheer choice
seems a bit daunting.

We thought we would go for a new 40 or 42" LCD flat screen. Sometime in the
future we would get a FreeSat digital box, so I guess that means we would
benefit from the 1080p resolution spec on the set to take advantage of
future high definition broadcasts.

Am I right in thinking that most of these sets, whatever the brand name are
probably manufactured in China or Taiwan? If so I guess its not worth paying
extra for a Japanese name?

Grateful for any advice on what you might think is a good buy of reasonable
quality around at the moment, bearing in mind I would prefer to keep the
price down if possible. Many thanks for any advice.

Argos are now not competitive with Online retailers. I bought a latest
model 38" Plasma Panasonic TV from HCS Direct last year for nearly £200
less than Argos charged for similar models.
http://www.hcsdirect.co.uk/
Derek
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 25, 9:54*pm, Tim Watts wrote:
The Natural Philosopher
* wibbled on Sunday 25 July 2010 20:22

Fortunately, the TV showroom is your friend. If they wont watch you
select a bunch of different channels, and play with the controls, find a
shop that will.

Neither Comet and Curries round T Wells have a real aerial feed which makes
testing impossible.

Couldn't believe it - I did have a major go at them before wandering off
somewhere else.

Bit like PC World not having WiFI while trying to flog iPads and related
stuff - what ****tards run these places?...

Well if they can sell a 4G SD card for £24 or a Belkin IEC mains lead
for £20 or online backup storage for £40/yr (all on offer at the tills
yesterday) I admire their sales skills.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
, Man at B&Q scribeth thus
On Jul 25, 9:54*pm, Tim Watts wrote:
The Natural Philosopher
* wibbled on Sunday 25 July 2010 20:22

Fortunately, the TV showroom is your friend. If they wont watch you
select a bunch of different channels, and play with the controls, find a
shop that will.

Neither Comet and Curries round T Wells have a real aerial feed which makes
testing impossible.

Couldn't believe it - I did have a major go at them before wandering off
somewhere else.

Bit like PC World not having WiFI while trying to flog iPads and related
stuff - what ****tards run these places?...

Well if they can sell a 4G SD card for £24 or a Belkin IEC mains lead
for £20 or online backup storage for £40/yr (all on offer at the tills
yesterday) I admire their sales skills.

MBQ

They rely on the fact that the great Brit public are totally clueless about
such things.. and therefore they will go there...

No real sales skills at all .. Just ignorance of behalf of the customer..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer
wibbled on Monday 26 July 2010 13:16

They rely on the fact that the great Brit public are totally clueless
about
such things.. and therefore they will go there...

No real sales skills at all .. Just ignorance of behalf of the customer..

I was about to say just that...

Sometimes, PC World can produce something at the same or better price as the
online retailers, in which case I'll get it - but they are no longer a
proper computer store in the same way that Maplins is no longer a proper
electronics store...

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,uk.tech.digital-tv

"john hamilton" wrote in message
Have now given up on the idea of having our old crt television set
repaired, and am looking at the televisions listed in Argos etc, the sheer
choice seems a bit daunting.

We thought we would go for a new 40 or 42" LCD flat screen. Sometime in
the future we would get a FreeSat digital box, so I guess that means we
would benefit from the 1080p resolution spec on the set to take advantage
of future high definition broadcasts.

Am I right in thinking that most of these sets, whatever the brand name
are probably manufactured in China or Taiwan? If so I guess its not worth
paying extra for a Japanese name?

On the contrary - "cheap" branded sets from a known make like Samsung won't
cost a huge amount more than a supermarket no-name cheapie and will be
better quality (particularly in the casing design) and you stand a chance of
getting them repaired if they do go faulty.

Something like this might be of interest...
http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/37-i...3010-37/717942
or this.
http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/sams...399-97-/720189

--
Alex

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers

I am surprised that few people are making much of the difference
between plasma and lcd.

I'd have thought that would be the starting point (just like deciding
whether you wanted a petrol or diesel car) before worrying which
country it came from.

Tony

Posted to uk.people.silversurfers,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On 26 July, 00:36, Bill Wright wrote:
See also http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/article...at-retunes.pdf

Absolutely agree. Here (North West Norfolk) *four* coverage areas
come close to overlapping - Belmont, Tacolneston, Sandy Heath, Waltham
- and that's *before* DSO.

We have to resort to manual tuning every one of our TVs. The
Panasonics at least allow you to disable auto-updates (but that means
new channels don't appear without another manual tune). The Toshiba
has no such facility, so regular manual editing is required to correct
channel assignment 'mistakes' following an update. The Sony is a
disaster, because the manual tuning ignores the preferred LCN and you
have to enter it yourself for every single channel!

Is there any sign of recognition from 'the powers that be' of how
serious this problem is, and how much more serious it will become
after DSO?

Richard.
http://www.rtrussell.co.uk/
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,uk.tech.digital-tv

"john hamilton" wrote in message
Have now given up on the idea of having our old crt television set
repaired, and am looking at the televisions listed in Argos etc, the sheer
choice seems a bit daunting.

We thought we would go for a new 40 or 42" LCD flat screen. Sometime in
the future we would get a FreeSat digital box, so I guess that means we
would benefit from the 1080p resolution spec on the set to take advantage
of future high definition broadcasts.

Am I right in thinking that most of these sets, whatever the brand name
are probably manufactured in China or Taiwan? If so I guess its not worth
paying extra for a Japanese name?

Grateful for any advice on what you might think is a good buy of
reasonable quality around at the moment, bearing in mind I would prefer to
keep the price down if possible. Many thanks for any advice.

why not get a TV with built in FreeSat HD tuner ? ......... no need to add a
box.

I used to think Panasonic were the best, and on CRT & Plasma they were
....but for LCD ... Samsung wins hands down .... now have 3 Samsung TV's

avoid LG as they seem to have a failure mode that causes failure 1 month
after warranty expires ... after sales is atrocious.

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers

"TonyGamble" wrote in message
I am surprised that few people are making much of the difference
between plasma and lcd.

I'd have thought that would be the starting point (just like deciding
whether you wanted a petrol or diesel car) before worrying which
country it came from.

Not at all.
We are talking about do you spend £300 on a supermarket cheapie, or £400-450
on a quality name.
At both price points you can get a Plasma or LCD set, so once you have
decided on a budget, *then* you look at specific models and types of
technology

--
Alex

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
The Natural Philosopher
wibbled on Sunday 25 July 2010 20:22

Fortunately, the TV showroom is your friend. If they wont watch you
select a bunch of different channels, and play with the controls, find a
shop that will.

Neither Comet and Curries round T Wells have a real aerial feed which
makes
testing impossible.

Couldn't believe it - I did have a major go at them before wandering off
somewhere else.

Bit like PC World not having WiFI while trying to flog iPads and related
stuff - what ****tards run these places?...

There were half a dozen Wifi networks in the Orpington branch of Comet. What
I don't recall was whether I was able to gain access to any of them.

--
Michael Chare

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 00:36:20 +0100, Bill Wright
wrote:

Bill wrote:

The bunch of no-marks who "planned" the digital changeover have stuck
Welsh TV onto a mast designed to face the opposite way and provide the
sheltered-from-Winter Hill, Mersey shores of Liverpool with English TV.
This mast is now pointing Welsh at the mainly English speaking Welsh
banks of the Dee and in the process has made reception in this part of
Cheshire pretty weird. Polarisation and channels of these backward
facing Welsh are virtually the same as WH, so this is a real test of the
logic of tuner set up procedures.

All verrrry interesting... See also
http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/article...at-retunes.pdf

Does this problem also affect DVB-T2?
--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 21:09:47 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

geoff wrote:
In message
, NT
writes
On Jul 25, 6:37 pm, (Andrew Gabriel)
wrote:
In article ,
geoff writes:
In message
,
mike writes
On Jul 25, 2:25 pm, "js.b1" wrote:

If you are used to CRT, no LCD is a perfect replacement

Given that, until a few years ago, we were all used to CRT, how come
so many have gone over to LCD and CRT are now impossible to buy new?

Life moves on

Price depends on volume, and as LCDs became popular and CRT sales
volume fell, CRT prices go north. Manufacturers wantt o get into LCDs
before that point so they can keep up with ongoing product development
rather than being left behind.

CRT sets are easy to buy of course, they're just all used sets now.

Have you tried buying a camera that takes emulsion film lately, or an
IDE hard drive?

there's no shortage of either, but why would a manufacturer invest in
an obsolescent technology like fim cameras.
Most HDD sellers still have IDEs

The last factory mass producing TV tubes closed down.
There is still a small requirement for CRTs for other
purposes, but apparently the price of such tubes has
jumped almost 10 fold.

BTW, I bought a 250GB IDE drive about a year ago, and
they are still around, even though SATA overtook IDE (PATA)
in 2004 in terms of quantities manufacturered.

As was said a few posts up, CRTs still win in every respect bar one,
ie that LCDs look better when off. I wouldnt rule out CRT TVs yet.

Well, if as Andrew says "The last factory mass producing TV tubes closed
down." , I think you might have to

Loads of life left in S/H CRT's

I've owned 25yr + CRT TVs. Still going reasonably well although the guns
were getting weak.

Cheap as chips to pick up a 5 year old analogue set with a SCART on it
to attach an STB.

Loads of CRT TVs on freecycle. I have picked up quite a few for the
family.

And with regards to LCD TVs - why not just get a good computer monitor
with a STB (+ a few other bits)?
--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.people.silversurfers,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 15:03:40 +0000, "Bob Henson"
wrote:

"geoff" wrote in message
:

You might be surprised to know that even central heating boilers are
expected to only have a 5-7- year life now

I'm not that surprised. Mine has been running for 20 years, and I'm
resisting all attempts to persuade me to change it until it goes
altogether. On something as low-tech and yet as highly priced as a
boiler it's a disgrace that the expected life is so short.

Ours lasted about ten years, according to the memory of the previous
owners.

I was hoping the new one would do better as we installed a water
softener.

The fitter reckoned this was about an average life nowadays and
although they may be repairable with varying amounts of difficulty the
price would be such as to make replacement more worthwhile.

Posted to uk.people.silversurfers,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

In article , Bob Henson
writes

On something as low-tech and yet as highly priced as a
boiler it's a disgrace that the expected life is so short.

They have become a lot more complicated in recent times.

--
Mike Tomlinson
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers

In article
s.com, js.b1 writes

An LCD TV is Panel + Processing + Backlight + PSU, and that is about
it. Of those PSU & backlight are replaceable if you have a branded
unit - on cheaper TVs it can prove difficult to source the parts
rendering it landfill..

I had a devil of a time finding the chopper control IC for a LG 19"
monitor power supply a couple years ago. The chip ID was 2AS01. Found
a UK supplier who claimed to have stock but wanted 15 quid apiece. Ebay
turned up a seller in Florida who sold me one for $3 delivered. It
arrived in three days and fixed the problem.

--
Mike Tomlinson

Posted to uk.people.silversurfers, uk.tech.digital-tv, uk.d-i-y

"Mike Tomlinson" wrote in message
:

In article , Bob Henson
writes

On something as low-tech and yet as highly priced as a
boiler it's a disgrace that the expected life is so short.

They have become a lot more complicated in recent times.

So several people have told me, Mike, and I don't dispute it. However,
compared to a modern TV (which we were doing, by implication at least),
the technology is still relatively crude, and nowhere near justifies the
prices charged for it, IMHO. I would expect to get six boilers for the
price of one TV, not the other way round.

Regards,

Bob

Posted to uk.people.silversurfers,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

"Bob Henson" wrote in message

"Mike Tomlinson" wrote in message
:

In article , Bob Henson
writes

On something as low-tech and yet as highly priced as a
boiler it's a disgrace that the expected life is so short.

They have become a lot more complicated in recent times.

So several people have told me, Mike, and I don't dispute it. However,
compared to a modern TV (which we were doing, by implication at least),
the technology is still relatively crude, and nowhere near justifies the
prices charged for it, IMHO. I would expect to get six boilers for the
price of one TV, not the other way round.

Regards,

Bob

But items made of metal - requiring welding, brazing, assembly, etc seem to
carry a premium as their production methods aren't as advanced or as
efficient as a purely electronic item. On this assumption though a TV should
cost even less - but there is a lot of material in the casing and the
screen. Packaging and shipping - along with what the market will pay is also
a factor. Selling plasma TVs to people with a perfectly adequate CRT TV
proved that people will pay for very little improvement in 'functionality'.

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers

On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 06:25:18 -0700 (PDT), "js.b1"
wrote:

CRT TVs were invariably repairable.
A CRT TV has a lot of discrete components. A component failure did not
write-off the TV despite a bit of labour involved particularly having
to resolder everything in sight.

Is that still true though? CRT TVs used to have a lot of discrete
components that could be individually replaced but in recent years
hasn't everything miniaturized and been integrated into chips? I
didn't think there was much inside the box these days and even if it
could be replaceable, can you order spare parts and can you find
someone who knows how to replace them? If you can, are you likely to
be told their labour cost will be more than a new tv?
Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers

On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 06:36:41 -0700 (PDT), mike
wrote:

Given that, until a few years ago, we were all used to CRT, how come
so many have gone over to LCD and CRT are now impossible to buy new?

I was told it was due to weight. CRTs are heavy so it costs more to
ship them halfway around the world. LCDs and plasmas are lighter and
also thinner, so they can fit more in a container too.

There is also the WEEE regulations whereby (IIRC) manufacturers are
charged the cost of disposing old electrical equipment and they are
charged by weight, so CRTs would attract a higher charge than LCDs.

So it's all about money, not necessarily quality of picture.

One disappointing thing is that you used to be able to get small TVs
(~14 inch) quite cheaply to use in the kitchen/bedroom/wherever but I
haven't seen anything small and cheap yet.
Posted to uk.people.silversurfers,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

In message , Mike Tomlinson
writes
In article , Bob Henson
writes

On something as low-tech and yet as highly priced as a
boiler it's a disgrace that the expected life is so short.

They have become a lot more complicated in recent times.

In some ways

--
geoff

Posted to uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers

Tim Streater wrote:

wrote:

Given that, until a few years ago, we were all used to CRT, how come
so many have gone over to LCD and CRT are now impossible to buy new?

I was told it was due to weight. CRTs are heavy so it costs more to
ship them halfway around the world. LCDs and plasmas are lighter and
also thinner, so they can fit more in a container too.

Thus using less of society's resources. And they may well consume less
lecky, too, another reason for switching.

Having said that, I suspect I shall miss the excellent picture on my
21" Panny when it finally goes tits-up.

No you won't, believe me. Once you've had a wide screen LCD, especially if
linked to a digital recorder, you'll never go back to your old 4:3 system
which will always seem to have something missing. I know because I had what
you describe and now have an excellent 26" LCD Panny that isn't the size and
weight of a house. I can now watch 'Look East' with Suzi Fowler-Watt rather
than 'uzi Fowler-Wa'.

Posted to uk.people.silversurfers, uk.tech.digital-tv, uk.d-i-y

"Norman Wells" wrote in message

Tim Streater wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Couldn't agree more, Norman. My old 28" CRT Sony was, I thought, a good
set, until I changed it for a widescreen Samsung 39" LCD. Especially on
HD, it's difficult to believe the all-round improvement in viewing. The
Sony was tiring a tad, with some signs of shaded areas appearing on the
screen, but we changed mainly to recover several square metres in the
corner of our lounge and to get a larger picture. Anyone unconvinced
should watch Planet Earth on Blu-ray on a decent-sized, good quality
LCD. It restored my flagging interest in watching TV - even the rubbish
repeats take on a new attractiveness.

Regards,

Bob

Posted to uk.people.silversurfers,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:

When it comes to it, I shall be comparing plasma and LCD *very*
carefully at JL before doing anything else at all about it.

Yes, particularly if it's a large JL where you can see loads of TVs side by
side showing the same broadcast. Don't just watch a DVD either. Make sure
you watch SD broadcasts live because that's what you'll be doing in the
main.

Posted to uk.people.silversurfers,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

In article , Bob Henson
scribeth thus

"Norman Wells" wrote in message

Tim Streater wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Yeabut how old was the Sony?..

And did it get the benefit of the HD signal;?..

The
Sony was tiring a tad, with some signs of shaded areas appearing on the
screen, but we changed mainly to recover several square metres in the
corner of our lounge and to get a larger picture. Anyone unconvinced
should watch Planet Earth on Blu-ray on a decent-sized, good quality
LCD. It restored my flagging interest in watching TV - even the rubbish
repeats take on a new attractiveness.

Such a shame you won't be seeing that transmitted as such in these days
of bit rate reduction;!....

Regards,

Bob

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.people.silversurfers,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

Well I hope so. The registration on my (1994) Panny is very good, you
had to be close up to see (when Teletext was up) to see a slight
mis-registration. Also when TT was up [1], it was clear that there was
no discernible pin-cushion or barrel distortion either. Of course I
appreciate that neither of these is an issue with a flat screen, but I
was always amazed how people didn't notice such glaring errors.

My BiL, f'rinstance, always reads Which? to decide what appliance to
get. So, one particular large Sony CRT a few years ago. After 2 secs
viewing, I could see that the whole of the top-left quarter of the
screen was *badly* mis-registered. He hadn't noticed - Which? said it
was a best-buy, therefore it was the best, and was perfect. No question
of looking at it in the shop to see before buying.

Might that have been where someone put a large loudspeaker next to it
and magnetised the screen?.

Or it was a convergence fault?...

When it comes to it, I shall be comparing plasma and LCD *very*
carefully at JL before doing anything else at all about it.

[1] I say "was", above, as the tuner is gone, although there's no
analogue signals round here anyway, near as I can tell.

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,uk.tech.digital-tv

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 19:59:33 +0100, Fred wrote:

I was told it was due to weight. CRTs are heavy so it costs more to
ship them halfway around the world. LCDs and plasmas are lighter and
also thinner, so they can fit more in a container too.

There isn't a lot in the weight between our old 28" CRT and 42"
plasma... Packaged volume is another matter, the box for the CRT made
a great play house for the kids for quite a while, the plasma box is
only 9" deep, useless as a playhouse. B-)

One disappointing thing is that you used to be able to get small TVs
(~14 inch) quite cheaply to use in the kitchen/bedroom/wherever but I
haven't seen anything small and cheap yet.

A 14" widescreen would be very small... Think you'd need 16" or
greater 16:9 to get the same vertical height as a 14" 4:3 set. 16" WS
TVs are about but not sub £100 but then most 16" or greater computer
monitors are also above £100.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.people.silversurfers,uk.tech.digital-tv,uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
tony sayer wrote:

[...]

I never found out. It was a different telly next time I went there :-)

(I'd say that if a l/s had that kind of leakage there'd have to be a
fault with it, too).

You would be wrong there, then.

All speakers leak HUGE amounts of flux.

There is no requirement for them not to.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Natural Philosopher
scribeth thus
Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
tony sayer wrote:

[...]

Electrostatics perhaps;?...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,uk.tech.digital-tv

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...

A 14" widescreen would be very small... Think you'd need 16" or
greater 16:9 to get the same vertical height as a 14" 4:3 set. 16" WS
TVs are about but not sub £100 but then most 16" or greater computer
monitors are also above £100.

No but you can buy a 19" for £125.
You would have to provide your own usb stick to record stuff onto for that
price.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:
In article , The Natural Philosopher

[...]