Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Visual Basic

Hi chaps,

can anyone recommend a forum for a beginner in VB?

Ta chaps!

Steve
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Sandman" wrote in message
news
Hi chaps,
can anyone recommend a forum for a beginner in VB?

Ta chaps!

Steve

Although I use VB still, I'd recommend any beginner in VB become a beginner
in VC# instead. The languages are now very similar (i.e. they both make
extensive use of the underlying dotnet framework), yet VC# has much more
potential, following and support. The majority of code examples you'll find
online will be for VC#. As for the best forum - I'd say Google each query
you have, and select the best forum on a 'per question' basis.

JW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Whitworth wrote:

"Mr Sandman" wrote in message
news
Hi chaps,
can anyone recommend a forum for a beginner in VB?

Ta chaps!

Steve

Although I use VB still, I'd recommend any beginner in VB become a
beginner in VC# instead. The languages are now very similar (i.e. they
both make extensive use of the underlying dotnet framework), yet VC# has
much more potential, following and support. The majority of code
examples you'll find online will be for VC#. As for the best forum - I'd
say Google each query you have, and select the best forum on a 'per
question' basis.

JW

I found recording macros in Excel and Access quite a useful way to get
started. Gives you the framework and then you can mess around editing
it. Never got much further than that mind.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article lKD2o.355219$Hs4.199859@hurricane, stuart noble
scribeth thus
John Whitworth wrote:

"Mr Sandman" wrote in message
news
Hi chaps,
can anyone recommend a forum for a beginner in VB?

Ta chaps!

Steve

Although I use VB still, I'd recommend any beginner in VB become a
beginner in VC# instead. The languages are now very similar (i.e. they
both make extensive use of the underlying dotnet framework), yet VC# has
much more potential, following and support. The majority of code
examples you'll find online will be for VC#. As for the best forum - I'd
say Google each query you have, and select the best forum on a 'per
question' basis.

JW

I found recording macros in Excel and Access quite a useful way to get
started. Gives you the framework and then you can mess around editing
it. Never got much further than that mind.

'sucse asking but what is VC# ?????
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer
wibbled on Saturday 24 July 2010 16:44

'sucse asking but what is VC# ?????

"Visual C-sharp."

("sharp" being what merkins call the #)

I don't rate much that comes out of M$ but I did quite like the look of C#,
especially compared to C++. There's even an opensource environment, mono,
for it.

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Watts
writes
tony sayer
wibbled on Saturday 24 July 2010 16:44

'sucse asking but what is VC# ?????

"Visual C-sharp."

("sharp" being what merkins call the #)

Well, what musicians call sharp

I don't rate much that comes out of M$ but I did quite like the look of C#,
especially compared to C++. There's even an opensource environment, mono,
for it.

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:

Tim Watts writes
tony sayer wibbled

'sucse asking but what is VC# ?????

"Visual C-sharp."

("sharp" being what merkins call the #)

Well, what musicians call sharp

And they used the '#' to look like the two '+' symbols from C++ were
merged together

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
geoff wrote:

Tim Watts writes
tony sayer wibbled

'sucse asking but what is VC# ?????

"Visual C-sharp."

("sharp" being what merkins call the #)

Well, what musicians call sharp

And they used the '#' to look like the two '+' symbols from C++ were
merged together

I make it four '+' symbols, i.e. C++ times two.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 18:31:58 +0100, geoff wrote:

'sucse asking but what is VC# ?????

"Visual C-sharp."

("sharp" being what merkins call the #)

Well, what musicians call sharp

And the merkins call a pound.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2010-07-25, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 18:31:58 +0100, geoff wrote:

'sucse asking but what is VC# ?????

"Visual C-sharp."

("sharp" being what merkins call the #)

Well, what musicians call sharp

And the merkins call a pound.

Octothorpe, innit.

Isn't that up Lincolnshire way? ;o)
--
Tinkerer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"stuart noble" wrote in message
John Whitworth wrote:

"Mr Sandman" wrote in message
[...]

In Access you can use VBA (Visual Basic for Applications) which is vastly
similar to VB. There are differences but it's an easy way to start. It
is available in Excel but Access is the better one for learning - the help
files are pretty good too.
--
Tinkerer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 18:31:58 +0100, geoff wrote:

'sucse asking but what is VC# ?????

"Visual C-sharp."

("sharp" being what merkins call the #)

Well, what musicians call sharp

And the merkins call a pound.

I thought that was a corral for old chevvies

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Huge
writes
On 2010-07-25, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 18:31:58 +0100, geoff wrote:

'sucse asking but what is VC# ?????

"Visual C-sharp."

("sharp" being what merkins call the #)

Well, what musicians call sharp

And the merkins call a pound.

Octothorpe, innit.

Does it predict rugby scores?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Whitworth wrote:

Although I use VB still, I'd recommend any beginner in VB become a
beginner in VC# instead. The languages are now very similar (i.e. they
both make extensive use of the underlying dotnet framework), yet VC# has
much more potential, following and support. The majority of code
examples you'll find online will be for VC#. As for the best forum - I'd
say Google each query you have, and select the best forum on a 'per
question' basis.

I'd second that. C# is a pretty good language, and the run-time system
is now the same as VB. It has the advantage too that no-one will laugh
at you when you use it.

Stay off C++ unless you intend to make a career of software development.
It's complex.

It is of course pretty much tied to Windows (I've never heard of
commercial use anywhere else). It also runs out of puff for some system
level applications - but not as soon as VB.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 19:26:53 +0100, Andy Champ
wrote:

John Whitworth wrote:

Although I use VB still, I'd recommend any beginner in VB become a
beginner in VC# instead. The languages are now very similar (i.e. they
both make extensive use of the underlying dotnet framework), yet VC# has
much more potential, following and support. The majority of code
examples you'll find online will be for VC#. As for the best forum - I'd
say Google each query you have, and select the best forum on a 'per
question' basis.

I'd second that. C# is a pretty good language, and the run-time system
is now the same as VB. It has the advantage too that no-one will laugh
at you when you use it.

+1. VB is/should be dead nowadays and it was always a poor
programming language IMHO.

Stay off C++ unless you intend to make a career of software development.
It's complex.

+1

It is of course pretty much tied to Windows (I've never heard of
commercial use anywhere else). It also runs out of puff for some system
level applications - but not as soon as VB.

There's the mono-project for a cross platform dotnet development.
I'd recommend Java if you want go cross platform. Java is free and
there are plenty of free development environments and masses of
examples.
--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2010-07-26, Mark wrote:

I'd recommend Java if you want go cross platform. Java is free and
there are plenty of free development environments and masses of
examples.

I'd hold off committing any amount of effort until we see what Oracle
are going to do with Java. The portents are not good;

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-20002207-92.html

http://nighthacks.com/roller/jag/entry/time_to_move_on

I'm not too pessimistic. Java is much too widely used for it to die
easily.
--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 July, 16:36, Huge wrote:

I'd hold off committing any amount of effort until we see what Oracle
are going to do with Java. The portents are not good;

Java is bigger than Gosling, it's even bigger than the pram he's just
thrown his toys out of.

As a general rule of thumb, anyone still using a Duke logo in 2010 is
a crazy old beardie loon who hates what Java has become, hates JSF
(and server-side frameworks that generate client-side JavaScript
components in general) in particular, and would be happier (hippier?)
at Gnu.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 18:31:58 +0100, geoff wrote:

'sucse asking but what is VC# ?????

"Visual C-sharp."

("sharp" being what merkins call the #)

Well, what musicians call sharp

And the merkins call a pound.

In my industry they call it a squarrr

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , tim....
writes

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ill.co.uk...
On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 18:31:58 +0100, geoff wrote:

'sucse asking but what is VC# ?????

"Visual C-sharp."

("sharp" being what merkins call the #)

Well, what musicians call sharp

And the merkins call a pound.

In my industry they call it a squarrr

Apparently C++ developers are all terrorists .. I knew there was
something shifty about them. http://bit.ly/bVHp3C

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1821384999

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 02:03:55 -0700, Andy Dingley wrote:
As a general rule of thumb, anyone still using a Duke logo in 2010 is a
crazy old beardie loon who hates what Java has become, hates JSF (and
server-side frameworks that generate client-side JavaScript components
in general) in particular, and would be happier (hippier?) at Gnu.

Ha ha! I got out of the Java game (well, more or less) when it went all
touchy-feely and "use a GUI to generate all your code and use this heavy
framework and never mind the bloat" - it all got a bit boring after that.

I never did quite master the beard, though... best I go is about a week
before I think that maybe I should actually shave today...

cheers

Jules