Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark[_30_] Mark[_30_] is offline

Default Visual Basic

On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 19:26:53 +0100, Andy Champ
wrote:

John Whitworth wrote:

Although I use VB still, I'd recommend any beginner in VB become a
beginner in VC# instead. The languages are now very similar (i.e. they
both make extensive use of the underlying dotnet framework), yet VC# has
much more potential, following and support. The majority of code
examples you'll find online will be for VC#. As for the best forum - I'd
say Google each query you have, and select the best forum on a 'per
question' basis.

I'd second that. C# is a pretty good language, and the run-time system
is now the same as VB. It has the advantage too that no-one will laugh
at you when you use it.

+1. VB is/should be dead nowadays and it was always a poor
programming language IMHO.

Stay off C++ unless you intend to make a career of software development.
It's complex.

+1

It is of course pretty much tied to Windows (I've never heard of
commercial use anywhere else). It also runs out of puff for some system
level applications - but not as soon as VB.

There's the mono-project for a cross platform dotnet development.
I'd recommend Java if you want go cross platform. Java is free and
there are plenty of free development environments and masses of
examples.
--
(\__/) M.