Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default CFLs & cable channels

Has anyone got any ideas as to how it might be possible to stop the central
'rose' of 5 CFLs in our living room turning on the virgin cable tv guide,
when it is turned on?

Doesn't do it every time, but I have once or twice recorded an hour of the
guide as it seems to overrule the DVDR's channel changing attachment.

Are all CFLs capable of doing this or is it just certain brands and types
(not that there is often much actual choice in the shops).

Probably a silly question but one never knows...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Spamlet" writes:
Has anyone got any ideas as to how it might be possible to stop the central
'rose' of 5 CFLs in our living room turning on the virgin cable tv guide,
when it is turned on?

Doesn't do it every time, but I have once or twice recorded an hour of the
guide as it seems to overrule the DVDR's channel changing attachment.

Are all CFLs capable of doing this or is it just certain brands and types
(not that there is often much actual choice in the shops).

Probably a silly question but one never knows...

It was a problem many years ago, but CFL manufacturers try to avoid
the IR remote control frequencies now. It may be that you've got
a CFL which has a SMPSU operating around the IR carrier frequency,
or you may have an appliance which uses unusual IR carrier frequency
(I found that with a Scientific Atlanta set top box once).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 July, 20:51, "Spamlet" wrote:
Has anyone got any ideas as to how it might be possible to stop the central
'rose' of 5 CFLs in our living room turning on the virgin cable tv guide,
when it is turned on?

Doesn't do it every time, but I have once or twice recorded an hour of the
guide as it seems to overrule the DVDR's channel changing attachment.

Are all CFLs capable of doing this or is it just certain brands and types
(not that there is often much actual choice in the shops).

Probably a silly question but one never knows...

Not silly at all. It's a known problem. Some cable boxes do IR
signalling in a different way from almost anything else, and certain
CFLs interact with that signalling. You can't really change the box,
so change the lighting or stop it reaching the box.

I've heard (!) that Philips CFLs are some of the worst for this.
Whatever you're using, try something different.

Cheers,
David.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David Robinson" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks to you both. It's a bit pricey changing 5 at a time, and we did that
once already, as the 'candle' type we tried at first were expensive and very
dim after a few weeks. At the moment there are 2 triple loop Phillips and 3
double loop Wilkos, and they seem to have maintained their output fairly
well, so I think I'll just put up with them for now.

What CFL choices have others here made for these central room lights? We
also have a 3 branch one in the bedroom which has the narrow screw sockets.
We've had two goes at lamps for these - little choice in the shops. The
first set we bought were expensive and too cold a colour; the second set
were warmer coloured, but now give out little light and take ages to warm up
even to that!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Spamlet" wrote in message

[...]

My local Tesco has their own brand and GE CFL's for 10 and 20p each at the
moment!

Cheap as chips

The GE ones are spiral, but really thin ones (20w) never seen them this thin
before...

Toby...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Spamlet" writes:

Thanks to you both. It's a bit pricey changing 5 at a time, and we did that
once already, as the 'candle' type we tried at first were expensive and very
dim after a few weeks. At the moment there are 2 triple loop Phillips and 3
double loop Wilkos, and they seem to have maintained their output fairly
well, so I think I'll just put up with them for now.

Try removing all the Philips, and then switch and try removing all the
Wickes. You might at least identify if it's just one or the other.
If it continues in both cases, then most likely you have an appliance
which uses an unusual IR carrier frequency.

What CFL choices have others here made for these central room lights? We
also have a 3 branch one in the bedroom which has the narrow screw sockets.
We've had two goes at lamps for these - little choice in the shops. The
first set we bought were expensive and too cold a colour; the second set
were warmer coloured, but now give out little light and take ages to warm up
even to that!

In my living room, I have IKEA ones, as they have the highest power
versions I can find with SES bases. They have an outer glass bulb
which I carefully remove (to improve efficiency), as they are inside
a glass fitting anyway.

Otherwise I use the 23W Feit sprial ones from Costco, as they really
are 100W equivalents, and I'm getting good life from them, even in
enclosed fittings where they run very hot. I did have one early failure,
but in the context of the number I've fitted (in my own, and various
relatives' homes), that's insignificant.

--
Andrew Gabriel