Posted to uk.d-i-y
Toby Toby is offline

Default CFLs & cable channels

"Spamlet" wrote in message

"David Robinson" wrote in message
On 15 July, 20:51, "Spamlet" wrote:
Has anyone got any ideas as to how it might be possible to stop the
central
'rose' of 5 CFLs in our living room turning on the virgin cable tv
guide,
when it is turned on?

Doesn't do it every time, but I have once or twice recorded an hour of
the
guide as it seems to overrule the DVDR's channel changing attachment.

Are all CFLs capable of doing this or is it just certain brands and
types
(not that there is often much actual choice in the shops).

Probably a silly question but one never knows...

Not silly at all. It's a known problem. Some cable boxes do IR
signalling in a different way from almost anything else, and certain
CFLs interact with that signalling. You can't really change the box,
so change the lighting or stop it reaching the box.

I've heard (!) that Philips CFLs are some of the worst for this.
Whatever you're using, try something different.

Cheers,
David.

Thanks to you both. It's a bit pricey changing 5 at a time, and we did
that once already, as the 'candle' type we tried at first were expensive
and very dim after a few weeks. At the moment there are 2 triple loop
Phillips and 3 double loop Wilkos, and they seem to have maintained their
output fairly well, so I think I'll just put up with them for now.

What CFL choices have others here made for these central room lights? We
also have a 3 branch one in the bedroom which has the narrow screw
sockets. We've had two goes at lamps for these - little choice in the
shops. The first set we bought were expensive and too cold a colour; the
second set were warmer coloured, but now give out little light and take
ages to warm up even to that!

My local Tesco has their own brand and GE CFL's for 10 and 20p each at the
moment!

Cheap as chips

The GE ones are spiral, but really thin ones (20w) never seen them this thin
before...

Toby...