Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Straw dryling - where are the cable channels?

My 1980s house has compressed straw dryling plaster boards for the
upstairs internal walls.

When fitting sockets to one room I unexpectedly but conveniently found
a cable channel running vertically in the panel.

Now I want to find one of these in another room - I'm guessing that
the only way is to dig a horizontal channel until I find one (I've
already decided where the pattress boxes will go so I'll need to cut a
channel anyway), but how far apart are they (don't want to find I go a
long way in one direction only to find that there is one the other way
very close!

Any tips on finding the channel?
--

Peter Crighton
Email To: peter (at) p-cright.demon.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Crighton wrote :
My 1980s house has compressed straw dryling plaster boards for the
upstairs internal walls.

When fitting sockets to one room I unexpectedly but conveniently found
a cable channel running vertically in the panel.

Now I want to find one of these in another room - I'm guessing that
the only way is to dig a horizontal channel until I find one (I've
already decided where the pattress boxes will go so I'll need to cut a
channel anyway), but how far apart are they (don't want to find I go a
long way in one direction only to find that there is one the other way
very close!

Depending upon depth, a metal detector would find the cables or even
easier the the channel if it is metal.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 11:11:34 GMT, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

Peter Crighton wrote :
My 1980s house has compressed straw dryling plaster boards for the
upstairs internal walls.

When fitting sockets to one room I unexpectedly but conveniently found
a cable channel running vertically in the panel.

Now I want to find one of these in another room - I'm guessing that
the only way is to dig a horizontal channel until I find one (I've
already decided where the pattress boxes will go so I'll need to cut a
channel anyway), but how far apart are they (don't want to find I go a
long way in one direction only to find that there is one the other way
very close!

Depending upon depth, a metal detector would find the cables or even
easier the the channel if it is metal.

There are no cables there - I'm fitting new cables and want to find
the channels to make it easier
--

Peter Crighton
Email To: peter (at) p-cright.demon.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 10:59:48 +0000 someone who may be Peter Crighton
wrote this:-

My 1980s house has compressed straw dryling plaster boards for the
upstairs internal walls.

Much easier to fit things into than brick walls.

When fitting sockets to one room I unexpectedly but conveniently found
a cable channel running vertically in the panel.

They are very useful.

Now I want to find one of these in another room - I'm guessing that
the only way is to dig a horizontal channel until I find one (I've
already decided where the pattress boxes will go so I'll need to cut a
channel anyway), but how far apart are they (don't want to find I go a
long way in one direction only to find that there is one the other way
very close!

If you go up in the loft you may be able to see the top of the board
and by inspection find the separation of the channels.

Alternatively a double box is generally wide enough to find one
channel somewhere along the width.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Crighton wrote:
My 1980s house has compressed straw dryling plaster boards for the
upstairs internal walls.

When fitting sockets to one room I unexpectedly but conveniently found
a cable channel running vertically in the panel.

I assume that the boards will all have the same cable channel position.
If this is so.
Find the studs, to where the boards are attached.
Measure.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Crighton wrote:
My 1980s house has compressed straw dryling plaster boards for the
upstairs internal walls.

Ditto. Strommit board (or Strammit, or was it Dammit boards ))

When fitting sockets to one room I unexpectedly but conveniently found
a cable channel running vertically in the panel.

Any tips on finding the channel?

As someone else said, go up in the loft and poke with a screwdriver.
Mine were every foot IIRC.

Alan