Phil Jones

Default Desk Cable Channels

You can get the plastic hole (cable tidy) covers from CPC.
Why not screw some plasticfinger trunking to the back of the desk to run the
cables?

"bigbrian" wrote in message
On Thu, 3 Jul 2003 12:30:06 +0100, "wanderer"
wrote:

"bigbrian" wrote in message
news:9e170eb96885a5ca3b7984d98e2abd12@TeraNews. ..

I have a desk without cable channels and I'd like a desk *with* cable
channels without buying a new desk. I was wondering whether there's a
supplier of aftermarket cable tidy kits. Maybe a metal channel that
you can screw to the back of the modesty board, and some plastic
inserts to finish off the holes that I'll have to drill in the top of
the desk to feed the cables through.

Owain

"bigbrian" wrote
| I have a desk without cable channels and I'd like a desk *with* cable
| channels without buying a new desk. I was wondering whether there's a
| supplier of aftermarket cable tidy kits. Maybe a metal channel that
| you can screw to the back of the modesty board, and some plastic
| inserts to finish off the holes that I'll have to drill in the top of
| the desk to feed the cables through.

I don't know but I'd guess that www.woodfit.co.uk would certainly have the
desk hole inserts and probably also some under-desk channelling, although
for the latter 'finger' or slotted trunking from most electrical places
would probably be quite useful.

Owain

John W

"bigbrian" wrote in message

I have a desk without cable channels and I'd like a desk *with* cable
channels without buying a new desk. I was wondering whether there's a
supplier of aftermarket cable tidy kits. Maybe a metal channel that
you can screw to the back of the modesty board, and some plastic
inserts to finish off the holes that I'll have to drill in the top of
the desk to feed the cables through.

Anybody know of such a thing?

Have you tried Ikea - they have cable tidy trays that hang from the bottom
of your desk and those big round things for poking the cable through the
desk.

Sean Delere

I have a desk without cable channels and I'd like a desk *with* cable
channels without buying a new desk. I was wondering whether there's a
supplier of aftermarket cable tidy kits. Maybe a metal channel that
you can screw to the back of the modesty board, and some plastic
inserts to finish off the holes that I'll have to drill in the top of
the desk to feed the cables through.

Is this the sort of thing you are after?

http://www.axminster.co.uk/default.asp?part=CT05PK1

Sean

bigbrian

On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 10:52:42 +0000 (UTC), "Sean Delere"
wrote:

I have a desk without cable channels and I'd like a desk *with* cable
channels without buying a new desk. I was wondering whether there's a
supplier of aftermarket cable tidy kits. Maybe a metal channel that
you can screw to the back of the modesty board, and some plastic
inserts to finish off the holes that I'll have to drill in the top of
the desk to feed the cables through.

Is this the sort of thing you are after?

http://www.axminster.co.uk/default.asp?part=CT05PK1

Its part of what I'm after yes. Thanks.

The other part is the (usually metal) channels that screw in along the
back of the modesty board at the front of the desk to channel the
cables from the aperture in the top of the desk to the power
supply/computer base etc

Brian

Paul Mc Cann

wrote:

I have a desk without cable channels and I'd like a desk *with* cable
channels without buying a new desk. I was wondering whether there's a
supplier of aftermarket cable tidy kits. Maybe a metal channel that
you can screw to the back of the modesty board, and some plastic
inserts to finish off the holes that I'll have to drill in the top of
the desk to feed the cables through.

Is this the sort of thing you are after?

http://www.axminster.co.uk/default.asp?part=CT05PK1

Its part of what I'm after yes. Thanks.

The other part is the (usually metal) channels that screw in along the
back of the modesty board at the front of the desk to channel the
cables from the aperture in the top of the desk to the power
supply/computer base etc

Brian

Its common to use some of those plastic ties that can either be
screwed down or have an adhesive pad incorporated. The right ones can
be opened and re-closed.

Also it is more usual to fix the cables/cable trays to the underside
of the desk top.

Be aware that a cable port (The hole in the top of the desk) can
restrict the placement of the monitor. They are a bit out of fashion
on the higher end desking now, if that should bother you. Just loop
the cables over the back edge of the desk at the most appropriate
point.

Paul Mc Cann

bigbrian

On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 13:56:49 +0100, Paul Mc Cann
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I can do either....I'd just like to know where to get them from!

Be aware that a cable port (The hole in the top of the desk) can
restrict the placement of the monitor. They are a bit out of fashion
on the higher end desking now, if that should bother you. Just loop
the cables over the back edge of the desk at the most appropriate
point.

Which restricts the placement of the monitor in exactly the same way,
surely? In any event, I'm not bothered about the placement of the
monitor...I'm bothered about looping cables over the back edge of the
desk

Brian
Paul Mc Cann

On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 22:59:36 GMT,
wrote:

snip

[...]

No. the plastic porthole surround and the fact that the cable is
emerging from the top of the desk means that they will foul that area
for monitor placement.

When the cable is looped over the edge of the top it can be brought
over adjacent to the desired position of the monitor but doesn't in
anyway restrict the placement of the monitor.

(Or to put it simply you cant put the monitor on top of the hole !)

The possible source of cable ties is too diverse to give instruction
son how to find them . (Electrical supply shops/ Computer component
suppliers/Car factors/Hardware shops etc. etc.)

Paul
Brian