Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cleaning headphones

Just bought a secondhand guitar and amp off Ebay and the guy included a set
of Sennheiser HD201 headphones. Everything is great except that the
'leatherette' padding of the headband and earcups, and also the fabric
covering the speakers, smell of tobacco smoke. I can't see any way of
detaching the padding/speaker covering to try and wash it so what can I do
to get rid of the smell?

BTW, I know I could get a new set of headphones for less than £20 but being
as I got the Encore Stratocaster guitar, 10W practice amp, stand and
headphones for the princely bid of £25.80, I want to try to clean these
first - I likes a bargain! )

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 20:03:00 +0100, John wrote:

Just bought a secondhand guitar and amp off Ebay and the guy included a
set of Sennheiser HD201 headphones. Everything is great except that the
'leatherette' padding of the headband and earcups, and also the fabric
covering the speakers, smell of tobacco smoke. I can't see any way of
detaching the padding/speaker covering to try and wash it so what can I
do to get rid of the smell?

BTW, I know I could get a new set of headphones for less than £20 but
being as I got the Encore Stratocaster guitar, 10W practice amp, stand
and headphones for the princely bid of £25.80, I want to try to clean
these first - I likes a bargain! )

Try Febreze. Worked for us on some very 'doggy' chairs we were given.
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:
On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 20:03:00 +0100, John wrote:

Just bought a secondhand guitar and amp off Ebay and the guy
included a set of Sennheiser HD201 headphones. Everything is great
except that the 'leatherette' padding of the headband and earcups,
and also the fabric covering the speakers, smell of tobacco smoke. I
can't see any way of detaching the padding/speaker covering to try
and wash it so what can I do to get rid of the smell?

BTW, I know I could get a new set of headphones for less than £20 but
being as I got the Encore Stratocaster guitar, 10W practice amp,
stand and headphones for the princely bid of £25.80, I want to try
to clean these first - I likes a bargain! )

Try Febreze. Worked for us on some very 'doggy' chairs we were given.

Thanks Bob. If I can't get them off I'll give it a try.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:

included a set
of Sennheiser HD201 headphones. Everything is great except that the
'leatherette' padding of the headband and earcups, and also the fabric
covering the speakers, smell of tobacco smoke. I can't see any way of
detaching the padding/speaker covering to try and wash it so what can I do
to get rid of the smell?

Surprised they don't detach, replacement foam pads were (are?) available
for my Sennheiser headphones 20+ years after they were made.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
John wrote:

included a set
of Sennheiser HD201 headphones. Everything is great except that the
'leatherette' padding of the headband and earcups, and also the
fabric covering the speakers, smell of tobacco smoke. I can't see
any way of detaching the padding/speaker covering to try and wash it
so what can I do to get rid of the smell?

Surprised they don't detach, replacement foam pads were (are?)
available for my Sennheiser headphones 20+ years after they were made.

May be me just being thick. I'll have another look so cheers Andy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 June, 20:03, "John" wrote:
a set of Sennheiser HD201 headphones.

My office headphones. Good headphones, light but with reasonable
outside noise exclusion. Very cheap new, but still worth a bit of
effort to restore. Sennheiser are generally good at spares, but
they're noticeably more keen on supporting the high-end kit than the
low-end.

Febreze sounds like a good start. Please report back and tell us how
you got on.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:
On 21 June, 20:03, "John" wrote:
a set of Sennheiser HD201 headphones.

My office headphones. Good headphones, light but with reasonable
outside noise exclusion. Very cheap new, but still worth a bit of
effort to restore. Sennheiser are generally good at spares, but
they're noticeably more keen on supporting the high-end kit than the
low-end.

Febreze sounds like a good start. Please report back and tell us how
you got on.

Sorted chaps, the Febreze worked brilliantly - no trace of tobacco smoke
smell anywhere and no ill effects on the headphones! Thanks.

John