Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Use for old broken slates

What can I use my old broken slates for?

I guess they can't be used for french drains as they powder and that
would block the water.

I could put them in a cement mixer with a brick and break them up a bit.

[g]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

george [dicegeorge] wrote:

What can I use my old broken slates for?

I stood one of my sheds on a load of them to keep it out of the mud.

Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 13, 10:42*am, "george [dicegeorge]"
wrote:
What can I use my old broken slates for?

What sort of quantity?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
What can I use my old broken slates for?

I guess they can't be used for french drains as they powder and that
would block the water.

how do you mean "powder"? likely to bother a French drain?

Always handy to have a few in your building pile for smashing up, and
using to pack up under lintels, masonry repairs etc.

Smash em up and use em in the garden as a path/patio "feature"
worst case:- pay for a skip and dump 'em

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

george [dicegeorge] wrote:
What can I use my old broken slates for?

I guess they can't be used for french drains as they powder and that
would block the water.

I could put them in a cement mixer with a brick and break them up a bit.

[g]

If you're digging trenches to bury steel wire armoured cable in the
garden, you can use slates as an intermediate physical protection layer
for the cable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
What can I use my old broken slates for?

What sort of quantity?

NT

about 8 wheel barrow fulls

[g]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
What can I use my old broken slates for?

I guess they can't be used for french drains as they powder and that
would block the water.

I could put them in a cement mixer with a brick and break them up a bit.

[g]

fireplace, onto concrete

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 12:49:49 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

They are ideal packers for tweaking the height of joist or lintel ends -
they don't crush readily or migrate moisture.

That is the ideal use. Though the crush resistance and water
permiabilty might be compromised if these slates are not the best
quality and have been on a roof in and industrial area for 100
years...

If they still "ring" rather than "clonk" when tapped they are still
sound.

--
Cheers
Dave.