Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Filler - which one

Got a bit of the wall above the tiling, 3" high x couple foot long
that's rough (I misestimated the original height of the tiles and the
plasterer sponged the wall a bit too high.

Anyway, I'm going to hand sand it but I need some filler to smear over
to take out the minor troughs and roughness.

What's the best these days?

I'd like something almost creamy - what I last bought from Wickes is
very solid, like putty which is great for holes. This needs to go on
thin and not mind being feathered. And not fall off(!). It will be
emulsioned. Don't mind having to sand it.

Cheers

Tim

--
Tim Watts

Hung parliament? Rather have a hanged parliament.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
Got a bit of the wall above the tiling, 3" high x couple foot long that's
rough (I misestimated the original height of the tiles and the plasterer
sponged the wall a bit too high.

Anyway, I'm going to hand sand it but I need some filler to smear over to
take out the minor troughs and roughness.

What's the best these days?

I'd like something almost creamy - what I last bought from Wickes is very
solid, like putty which is great for holes. This needs to go on thin and
not mind being feathered. And not fall off(!). It will be emulsioned.
Don't mind having to sand it.

For creamy stuff, you can mix 'powder filler' up to exactly the consistency
you require - i.e. polyfilla, porridge or pancake mix. But bear in mind, it
does remain powdery/porous until sealed/painted. That can make smoothing
very easy though. It's dirt cheap too. A few quid for a small box will last
ages.

JW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 June, 09:36, Tim Watts wrote:
Got a bit of the wall above the tiling, 3" high x couple foot long
that's rough (I misestimated the original height of the tiles and the
plasterer sponged the wall a bit too high.

Anyway, I'm going to hand sand it but I need some filler to smear over
to take out the minor troughs and roughness.

What's the best these days?

I'd like something almost creamy - what I last bought from Wickes is
very solid, like putty which is great for holes. This needs to go on
thin and not mind being feathered. And not fall off(!). It will be
emulsioned. Don't mind having to sand it.

Wickes Master one hit filler is my current fave for non structural
stuff - as recommended here by TMH I think

A lot creamier than "red devil" or screwfix versions I have used in
the past - dries fast (unless inches thick :)), easy to sand if
needed - maybe worth a try?

Cheers
Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/06/10 09:58, John Whitworth wrote:

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
[...]

OK - I'll get some powder polyfilla - thanks John. Never used it, only
had the ready mixed before. I'll seal it with SBR just to make sure it
won't fall off

Cheers

Tim

--
Tim Watts

Hung parliament? Rather have a hanged parliament.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/06/10 10:01, Jim K wrote:
On 2 June, 09:36, Tim wrote:
Got a bit of the wall above the tiling, 3" high x couple foot long
that's rough (I misestimated the original height of the tiles and the
plasterer sponged the wall a bit too high.

Anyway, I'm going to hand sand it but I need some filler to smear over
to take out the minor troughs and roughness.

What's the best these days?

I'd like something almost creamy - what I last bought from Wickes is
very solid, like putty which is great for holes. This needs to go on
thin and not mind being feathered. And not fall off(!). It will be
emulsioned. Don't mind having to sand it.

Wickes Master one hit filler is my current fave for non structural
stuff - as recommended here by TMH I think

A lot creamier than "red devil" or screwfix versions I have used in
the past - dries fast (unless inches thick :)), easy to sand if
needed - maybe worth a try?

Thanks Jim - I'll have a look - going up to Wickes later today.

--
Tim Watts

Hung parliament? Rather have a hanged parliament.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tim Watts
writes
Got a bit of the wall above the tiling, 3" high x couple foot long
that's rough (I misestimated the original height of the tiles and the
plasterer sponged the wall a bit too high.

Anyway, I'm going to hand sand it but I need some filler to smear over
to take out the minor troughs and roughness.

What's the best these days?

I'd like something almost creamy - what I last bought from Wickes is
very solid, like putty which is great for holes. This needs to go on
thin and not mind being feathered. And not fall off(!). It will be
emulsioned. Don't mind having to sand it.

For a really thin coat I'd say joint filler, used to joint taper edge PB
and designed to be sanded out to nothing. 8 quid a 12.5kg bag trade from
memory. Bag says Wondertex Ultralight Joint Filler Extra Smooth, says it
sets in 90mins but I'd leave it til next day for sanding. Goes on with a
float or better with an extra wide filler blade (say 12").
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 02 Jun 2010 09:36:08 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

Got a bit of the wall above the tiling, 3" high x couple foot long
that's rough (I misestimated the original height of the tiles and the
plasterer sponged the wall a bit too high.

Anyway, I'm going to hand sand it but I need some filler to smear over
to take out the minor troughs and roughness.

What's the best these days?

I'd like something almost creamy - what I last bought from Wickes is
very solid, like putty which is great for holes. This needs to go on
thin and not mind being feathered. And not fall off(!). It will be
emulsioned. Don't mind having to sand it.

Cheers

Tim

Gyproc Easi-Fill - a bit like Pollyfilla powder but cheaper, easier to
work and can get a nice smooth finish, even blending the edges into
existing plaster. Easy to sand as well.

Got my last 5Kg bag from Wickes, but seen it in Homebase as well.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
[...]

It's not powder polyfilla. It's just powder filler. B&Qs own brand was what
I got - but there must be equivalents about.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"stuart noble" wrote in message
John Whitworth wrote:

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
Got a bit of the wall above the tiling, 3" high x couple foot long
that's rough (I misestimated the original height of the tiles and the
plasterer sponged the wall a bit too high.

Anyway, I'm going to hand sand it but I need some filler to smear over
to take out the minor troughs and roughness.

What's the best these days?

I'd like something almost creamy - what I last bought from Wickes is
very solid, like putty which is great for holes. This needs to go on
thin and not mind being feathered. And not fall off(!). It will be
emulsioned. Don't mind having to sand it.

For creamy stuff, you can mix 'powder filler' up to exactly the
consistency you require - i.e. polyfilla, porridge or pancake mix. But
bear in mind, it does remain powdery/porous until sealed/painted.

I disagree. These days even the cheapest interior fillers have a binder
(pva, cellulose, dunno) that makes them pretty non-porous. If you paint a
plaster wall, the bits that have been filled will usually require less
coats.

OK - it may be non-porous - but it is dusty and easy to rub down until
sealed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 June, 19:46, DavidM wrote:
[...]

Yep, that's what I'd use!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Whitworth wrote:

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
[...]

Which makes it ideal for the purpose. I tend to use dry wall filler or
Artex for skimming, but I don't think they're quite as resilient as bog
standard filler

Filler? Stuart Noble UK diy 2 April 25th 08 07:49 PM
Filler? George UK diy 2 April 25th 08 12:22 PM
Filler? Rod UK diy 4 April 25th 08 08:06 AM
Filler? EricP UK diy 0 April 25th 08 03:20 AM
Gap Filler Yaz UK diy 1 March 7th 07 03:58 PM