Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default Filler?

The Medway Handyman wrote:
I want to lay some self adhesive vinyl floor tiles over some existing floor
tiles.

The existing tiles are the very brittle vinyl asbestos ones and have cracked
where carpet gripper has been removed. Bits of tile are missing & I reckon
it will look pants if I tile over the gaps.

Only two options I can see are to remove all the tiles including old
adhesive - which will be a pig of a job, or to fill the gaps with something.

Its going to be in a very thin section of filler & will need to bond to the
adhesive. It will also need to be fairly quick drying, but remain workable
for long enough to get it flush without sanding.

Any suggestions?

I'm thinking of the old standby on the group - car body filler.

I have used so-called self-levelling compound for precisely this purpose
but that does take quite a while to dry thoroughly.

When last we had a carpet laid downstairs (onto a similar tiled concrete
floor), the fitter used some glue/compound to stick the gripper battens
down across the doorways. This had that wondeerful high volatile
hydrocarbons smell and seemed to set in minutes. For a small area, I
think this would work brilliantly. But I do not know what it is called.
Maybe ask a carpet fitter?

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
[...]

That would be a solvent-based 'no-more-nails'; I think that would do the
job but not sure how easy it would to spread it flat and smooth? Body
filler would be my choice I think.

Self-levelling compound doesn't work too well if it's very thin,
especially with a poor substrate: I'd avoid that here.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Lobster wrote:
Rod wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
[...]

No - I didn't mean No-more-nails/Gripfill/Pink stuff. It is a much
thinner substance - in some ways more akin to solvent weld stuff - but
light buff colour. It only took a few minutes to set solid. And I think
it is thin enough to flow out completely so could work very well.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
Lobster wrote:
Rod wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
[...]

Oh, OK... no idea what that is: pretty sure my fitter used ordinary
pinkstuff for this job.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Just found what *might* be it:

See "Rapidbond Adhesive" (link below) or, just above it, "Gripper
Adhesive" (which is somewhat cheaper but slower-curing).

http://www.tradepriced.co.uk/carpet_gripper.html

There must be many other suppliers and similar products.

--
Rod

onset.

Filler? EricP UK diy 0 April 25th 08 03:20 AM
Filler John UK diy 4 December 1st 07 01:54 PM
Filler SantaUK UK diy 2 August 13th 07 11:51 PM
Gap Filler Yaz UK diy 1 March 7th 07 03:58 PM
Gap filler Peter Twydell UK diy 4 December 11th 06 12:40 PM