Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default One for the tree experts

andrew wrote:
spamlet wrote:

Ergo: the bark may not have been deeply removed.

No I was meaning even when the bark was completely removed. I did get my
nomenclature wrong though, there are two major transport systems in a
tree,
the phloem which is the innermost part of the bark and transports
minerals
and photosynthetic products (sugars) and the xylem, which is the
outermost
woody part next to the bark and carries water to the top.

exactly. No bark, no water, tree above dies.

As a tree grows
it basically increase diameter by cells in the cambium splitting into
xylem
which adds to the diameter of wood and phloem which is pushed outward and
forms the new inner layer of bark. the phloem is what attracts animals,
like rabbits and grey squirrel to strip the bark. The water transport
system remains intact in the outer sapwood (xylem) so the tree above the
stripped bark doesn't immediately dry out.

absloute balls., The deer strip the WHOLE bark. heartwood only left.

Why do you think they are shot as vermin?

It can continue living for a
while on reserves stored in parts of the wood (parenchemous tissue).
Eventually because nutrients cannot be carried down to the root the root
dies.

about a week befiore th leves shrivel.

The stump is perfectly capable of regenerating if it has sufficient
reserves, but that takes a tree large enough that deer are not interested
anyway.

In the case of the pine wood I'm fairly confident there were natural root
grafts between adjacent trees that kept the root alive.
The only thing likely to die with ring barking alone is the grafted
variety above the graft.

total balls.

Broad-leaved trees will usually sprout again
from the base: otherwise, there would be no such thing as coppicing.

Only once they have reached a certain size. They need energy in a good
root system to do that.

Any young tree that is ringed, has not.

Many trees with lightweight roots systems will not. Ive never seenm birch
regenerate for exmple.

Conifers, usually do die though, unless, as I noted, they have managed
layer themselves via drooping boughs.

Yes, few conifers survive once the top parts are removed, welintonia is
an
interesting exception. There is an avenue in Arborfield where it seems
some
semi mature wellingtonia were transplanted. The though is the lower limbs
were pegged to the ground to support the trees and the branches rooted
forming a ring of new trees around the central stem.

Ive even killed leyalnndii by lopping to 6ft.

AJH

With one thing I can agree: I don't recall seeing large birch regenerate,
but then I've usually been trying hard to stop it's spread where it wasn't
wanted: I still expect that the acres once 'cleared' by a BTCV team I was
once a part of, on a Lancashire bog one summer, probably grew right back
worse than before (The usual result of 'scrub bashing' even when sulphamate
is used, in my experience.). I've just never been back to look. I still
maintain the only reliable way of killing a tree is to winch it out of the
ground and burn it.

Deer do eat bark from even large beech trees, and some local woods are a
sorry sight because of this, but there are generally crevices between the
root buttresses that the deer can't get at, so even though the trees look
bad at the base, they still carry on.

Deer are 'vermin' because they are mostly alien and have no predators: it is
the growth of new trees that they prevent, which is why 'deer parks' are
characteristically a mosaic of grass and ancient trees from before the park
was set up.

Whilst not wishing to appear rude, it really is pointless arguing with you,
as you do not seem to see what is going on around you, or to be aware of
basic countryside history or management techniques. (I am no expert, but at
least I have actually done some of this stuff.)