Posted to uk.d-i-y
JWM JWM is offline

Default Have you got Record V175 vice?

I've not used the vice on my workbench in the garage for years but on doing
so I discovered that it closes fine, but when you open the jaws the threaded
shaft that the handle attaches to just come out of the front.

On examining the mechanism I can see that there is a groove going all the
way round the shaft and a big washer that's still there. I reckon there must
have been something fitting into the groove to allow the shaft to push
agains the front jaw to when the vice is opened and that is what's missing.

Is it a large circlip that missing? I wonder if anyone could look at their
vice and advise me

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23 May, 21:25, "JWM" wrote:
I've not used the vice on my workbench in the garage for years but on doing
so I discovered that it closes fine, but when you open the jaws the threaded
shaft that the handle attaches to just come out of the front.

On examining the mechanism I can see that there is a groove going all the
way round the shaft and a big washer that's still there. I reckon there must
have been something fitting into the groove to allow the shaft to push
agains the front jaw to when the vice is opened and that is what's missing.

Is it a large circlip that missing? I wonder if anyone could look at their
vice and advise me

Thanks

Its a circlip, lost one of my Record wood vice while back,

Cheers
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24 May, 13:10, Adam Aglionby wrote:
On 23 May, 21:25, "JWM" wrote:

I've not used the vice on my workbench in the garage for years but on doing
so I discovered that it closes fine, but when you open the jaws the threaded
shaft that the handle attaches to just come out of the front.

On examining the mechanism I can see that there is a groove going all the
way round the shaft and a big washer that's still there. I reckon there must
have been something fitting into the groove to allow the shaft to push
agains the front jaw to when the vice is opened and that is what's missing.

Is it a large circlip that missing? I wonder if anyone could look at their
vice and advise me

Thanks

Its a circlip, lost one of my Record wood vice while back,

A 1 1/2 " oval should suffice IIRC back to the dark daies of yore.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"JWM" wrote in message
I've not used the vice on my workbench in the garage for years but on
doing so I discovered that it closes fine, but when you open the jaws the
threaded shaft that the handle attaches to just come out of the front.

On examining the mechanism I can see that there is a groove going all the
way round the shaft and a big washer that's still there. I reckon there
must have been something fitting into the groove to allow the shaft to
push agains the front jaw to when the vice is opened and that is what's
missing.

Is it a large circlip that missing? I wonder if anyone could look at their
vice and advise me

Thanks

Sadly, my cheapo Chinese imitation one has the opposite problem: the screw
thread has worn away inside the fixed jaw, so it is just a paper weight now.
Sad.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
JWM JWM is offline

Its a circlip, lost one of my Record wood vice while back,

A 1 1/2 " oval should suffice IIRC back to the dark daies of yore.

Thanks for those responses

Looks like it's about 14mm in diameter so I've ordered a variety box of
circlips from Ebay!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

My name is Derek and would be grateful for some advice I have the circlip mentioned above but I am unsure when you put it back in the record vice does it go in front or behind the large flat washer on the threaded vice handle Thank you
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, July 7, 2016 at 4:31:17 PM UTC+1, wrote:
My name is Derek and would be grateful for some advice I have the circlip mentioned above but I am unsure when you put it back in the record vice does it go in front or behind the large flat washer on the threaded vice handle Thank you

it captures the washer betwixt the thread and jaw.

Record No 3 Bench Vice Gel UK diy 3 November 23rd 08 07:53 PM
Cross Vice Andy Hall UK diy 23 March 25th 07 11:58 AM
Old Vice, need a hand Fatdaddys Metalworking 33 May 21st 06 04:51 PM
this has got to be a handy vice? The3rd Earl Of Derby UK diy 8 October 5th 05 01:57 PM
Pattern makers vice Bob Woodworking 6 October 5th 04 09:43 AM