Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Fatdaddys

Default Old Vice, need a hand

About 20 years ago I bought a OLD BLACK VICE at a yard sale. I knew some
day I would have a house and a SHOP and would use it.
Well I just built my 32x24 shop out of cypress. I put my counters in. I
knew were this VICE was. I got it and greased it up and had to get it to
open and close with a hammer.. I got it just about closed and then noticed I
had to have it open to get one of the 3 bolts in. I started to open it.. I
had to use a hammer to get it moving.
It had been setting for that long and before I had bought it somebody had
just painted the whole thing lacquer BLACK.

I almost had it just right for the middle front bolt to slide and something
broke. I was a sleeve that the big screw bolt went it. That sleeve had a
small threaded set screw in it. It was made of cast iron.

This vice has Aug 11th 1914 with a paten number. I can't make out the brand
name. Its painted over and over.

Can anybody school me on this and what I need to do to get it fixed.
I will send you some pictures if you know anything.
Thanking you in advance
Dave
Tennessee raveATusit.net CHANGE AT with @

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lyndell Thompson

"Fatdaddys" wrote in message
.net...
[...]

A nickel electrode (stick weld) or oxy-acetylene and brazing rod will do the
job. Another coat of paint and some grinding and no one but you will know
the difference. I will not be as strong as new but with reasonable care
should last a long time. I fixed a tiawaneese vise this way 10 years ago. I
am still using it. At a good welding supply ask for the same type of rod
that is used to build up exhaust manifolds for remachining.
Good luck Lyndell

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Fatdaddys

**** you then you bunch of pocket protector carrying dick heads.
Don't hep me

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Tue, 16 May 2006 23:42:24 GMT, "Fatdaddys" wrote:

**** you then you bunch of pocket protector carrying dick heads.
Don't hep me

What was the question? I didnt see any post about an old vice. Nor
did I see one about the metal working vise.

Post her again and Ill see what I can do.

And I dont wear a pocket protector. It gets in the way of a swift draw
from the shoulder holster.

Gunner

"If thy pride is sorely vexed when others disparage your offering, be
as lamb's wool is to cold rain and the Gore-tex of Odin's raiment
is to gull**** in the gale, for thy angst shall vex them not at
all. Yea, they shall scorn thee all the more. Rejoice in
sharing what you have to share without expectation of adoration,
knowing that sharing your treasure does not diminish your treasure
but enriches it."

- Onni 1:33
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ken Sterling

**** you then you bunch of pocket protector carrying dick heads.
Don't hep me

Seeing that you had a response in less than 24 hours, and your
response above, I doubt that you even deserve any help (or hep).
PLONK!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Wed, 17 May 2006 00:36:36 GMT, Gunner wrote:
On Tue, 16 May 2006 23:42:24 GMT, "Fatdaddys" wrote:

**** you then you bunch of pocket protector carrying dick heads.
Don't hep me

What was the question? I didnt see any post about an old vice. Nor
did I see one about the metal working vise.

(shrug) he had an old vice that was seized up and did everything in his
power to break it. It broke. Now he seems to want a refund for the
consulting he paid us for.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On 17 May 2006 02:15:02 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

On Wed, 17 May 2006 00:36:36 GMT, Gunner wrote:
On Tue, 16 May 2006 23:42:24 GMT, "Fatdaddys" wrote:

**** you then you bunch of pocket protector carrying dick heads.
Don't hep me

What was the question? I didnt see any post about an old vice. Nor
did I see one about the metal working vise.

(shrug) he had an old vice that was seized up and did everything in his
power to break it. It broke. Now he seems to want a refund for the
consulting he paid us for.

Ah. Ok.

And here I was hoping for something purient. Vice you know...

Gunner

"If thy pride is sorely vexed when others disparage your offering, be
as lamb's wool is to cold rain and the Gore-tex of Odin's raiment
is to gull**** in the gale, for thy angst shall vex them not at
all. Yea, they shall scorn thee all the more. Rejoice in
sharing what you have to share without expectation of adoration,
knowing that sharing your treasure does not diminish your treasure
but enriches it."

- Onni 1:33
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
pyotr filipivich

Default Vice is a Sin, Vise is what you use to hold stuff Old Vice, need a hand

Okay, so I'm late and catching up, but "Fatdaddys" wrote on
Tue, 16 May 2006 23:42:24 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :
**** you then you bunch of pocket protector carrying dick heads.
Don't hep me

That's not a vice you have there, just an ordinary peccadillo.

Here I was expecting something purulent about someone who needed help
with a 'depraved practice of theirs, or they were about to take up a vice
long out of fashioned and needed advice on how to go about it.

There's another possibility, but he used both hands to type with, so
that is sort of ruled out.

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
news
Okay, so I'm late and catching up, but "Fatdaddys" wrote
on
Tue, 16 May 2006 23:42:24 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :
**** you then you bunch of pocket protector carrying dick heads.
Don't hep me

That's not a vice you have there, just an ordinary peccadillo.

Here I was expecting something purulent about someone who needed help
with a 'depraved practice of theirs, or they were about to take up a vice
long out of fashioned and needed advice on how to go about it.

There's another possibility, but he used both hands to type with, so
that is sort of ruled out.

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich

He DID come to the right place, though. Vice or vise, we have lots of hands
on experience. (no pun intended)

BTW, if you ever need any vise grips on ebay, you can get killer deals on
"vice grips" listed by the clueless, and not found in regular keyword
searches. I finished out my forty odd collection of vise grips at very
reasonable prices with "vice" grips.

And they work just as well as vise grips.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andrew Mawson

"Steve B" wrote in message

[...]

This is another USA / UK language gulf thing ! Vice with a 'C' is both
a bit naughty AND gripping in the UK where afterall the language
developed before being exported to the colonies.

AWEM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
pyotr filipivich

Okay, so I'm late and catching up, but "Steve B"
wrote on Wed, 17 May 2006 15:12:05 -0700 in rec.crafts.metalworking :

pyotr filipivich

He DID come to the right place, though. Vice or vise, we have lots of hands
on experience. (no pun intended)

I think this is a problem we must come to grips with. (Warning, I work
twelve hour shifts and the next one starts too soon. I'm starting to
channel Peter Sellers and Grouch Marx. Not a good sign.)

BTW, if you ever need any vise grips on ebay, you can get killer deals on
"vice grips" listed by the clueless, and not found in regular keyword
searches. I finished out my forty odd collection of vise grips at very
reasonable prices with "vice" grips.

Ah-hem. I have it on good authority, that the small vise grips, do
work well, in pairs, for vice. There are, however, some things I wish I
didn't know.

And they work just as well as vise grips.

I'm sure they do ...

--
pyotr filipivich.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
daniel peterman

Default Vice is a Sin, Vise is what you use to hold stuff OldVic...

Somebody here in San Diego avertised on craigslist that he has a DOME
buggy for sale or trade.
A few weeks ago someone wanted to buy some CRUSHES. I coudln't figure
this one out until another reader suggested that he needed CRUTCHES, not
crushes. I think it's a border spanglish error....
crushes... we don't need no steenkeen crushes...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
rigger

Andrew Mawson wrote:
"Steve B" wrote in message

[...]

Yes, but if you'd done a better job of it, considering all the time you
had, we wouldn't have had to make all these corrections.

dennis
in nca

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mark Rand

On 19 May 2006 08:54:52 -0700, "rigger" wrote:

This is another USA / UK language gulf thing ! Vice with a 'C' is both
a bit naughty AND gripping in the UK where afterall the language
developed before being exported to the colonies.

Yes, but if you'd done a better job of it, considering all the time you
had, we wouldn't have had to make all these corrections.

dennis
in nca

We did a perfectly good (if idiosyncratic) job of it. It's just that Dr Noah
Wester couldn't cope with the Queen's English G

Mark Rand
RTFM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
pyotr filipivich

Okay, so I'm late and catching up, but Larry Jaques
wrote on Fri, 19 May 2006 14:00:40 -0700 in rec.crafts.metalworking :
On Fri, 19 May 2006 06:47:45 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
(daniel peterman) quickly quoth:

Somebody here in San Diego avertised on craigslist that he has a DOME
buggy for sale or trade.
A few weeks ago someone wanted to buy some CRUSHES. I coudln't figure
this one out until another reader suggested that he needed CRUTCHES, not
crushes. I think it's a border spanglish error....
crushes... we don't need no steenkeen crushes...

Don't crush that swarf and hand me the pliers.

ROFL.

pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
rigger

Mark Rand wrote:
On 19 May 2006 08:54:52 -0700, "rigger" wrote:

This is another USA / UK language gulf thing ! Vice with a 'C' is both
a bit naughty AND gripping in the UK where afterall the language
developed before being exported to the colonies.

Yes, but if you'd done a better job of it, considering all the time you
had, we wouldn't have had to make all these corrections.

dennis
in nca

We did a perfectly good (if idiosyncratic) job of it. It's just that Dr Noah
Wester couldn't cope with the Queen's English G

Mark Rand
RTFM

Perhaps. But don't forget old Noah was at least 4 generations removed
from Jolly Old.

Plenty of time to have some Native American and other European (in a
different manner than that in GB) words absorbed.

Bye the way: What Queen was that?

dennis
in nca

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
William B Noble (don't reply to this address)

I guess you proved that we really can be two places at once yet really
be nowhere at all

On Fri, 19 May 2006 14:00:40 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Fri, 19 May 2006 06:47:45 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
(daniel peterman) quickly quoth:

Don't crush that swarf and hand me the pliers.

Bill

www.wbnoble.com

to contact me, do not reply to this message,
instead correct this address and use it

will iam_ b_ No ble at msn daught com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andrew Mawson

"rigger" wrote in message
ups.com...

Mark Rand wrote:
[...]

NO NO NO ---- "Which Queen" not "What Queen"

oh and "Bye" is an abreviation of "goodbye" so perhaps you meant "by"

GGG

AWEM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David R. Birch

Mark Rand wrote:

On 19 May 2006 08:54:52 -0700, "rigger" wrote:

This is another USA / UK language gulf thing ! Vice with a 'C' is both
a bit naughty AND gripping in the UK where afterall the language
developed before being exported to the colonies.

Yes, but if you'd done a better job of it, considering all the time you
had, we wouldn't have had to make all these corrections.

dennis
in nca

We did a perfectly good (if idiosyncratic) job of it. It's just that Dr Noah
Wester couldn't cope with the Queen's English G

Mark Rand
RTFM

More accurately, we had no use for the Queen. Or the King. That you
choose to let your language stagnate is fine with us.

And it's Noah Webster.

David

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David R. Birch

Don't crush that swarf and hand me the pliers.

I'll just be over there waiting for the electrician...

David
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

On Fri, 19 May 2006 23:18:12 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
"William B Noble (don't reply to this address)"
quickly quoth:

I guess you proved that we really can be two places at once yet really
be nowhere at all

Now entering freeway, which is already in progress...

sign on freeway "Apple Valley Condoms -- If you lived here, you'd be
home by now!"

Murphy was an Optimist
----------------------------
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
rigger

Andrew Mawson wrote:
"rigger" wrote in message
ups.com...

Mark Rand wrote:
[...]

Yes, yes. But no answer?

So checking at (with? about with?) www.royal.gov.uk I find (found?)
there were no reigning female monarchs (queens?) during Noah's time
(lifetime?); just a bunch of gentlemen (chaps? royalty?) by the name of
"George"; 3 or 4 if I remember correctly (properly?). House of
Hanover, I believe, as opposed to Orange or some other color (colour?).

No shame, I'm sure, in not knowing the answer, as I doubt many in the
US (myself included) would (will?) remember the names and dates of
service (incumbency?) of the US presidents (in our much shorter
history) and how they would relate to the life span of Noah Wester
(sic). ((sac? soc?))

Buy: (a word steeped in American tradition )

dennis
in nca

p.s. Please make necessary corrections ASAP. Thank you, D.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
rigger

David R. Birch wrote:
Mark Rand wrote:

[...]

We're all very happy you feel it's "fine" although we prefer, instead
of "stagnate" the word "evolve" (familiar to you?) or perhaps "grow".

By the way, now that I've got someone of linguistic expertise handy, I
hope you can answer a question for me. I was listening to a shortwave
BBC news program the other day and the speaker, who seemed to my
uneducated ears as "Very British", kept on referring to China as
"Chin-er"; what's with that? Is this still considered the "King's" (or
Queen's as some prefer) English? Or has your form of english also
stagnated? Some dialects such as Cockney seem quite different and
unintelligible. You dig what I'm sayin' bro'?

dennis
in nca

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On 19 May 2006 18:46:29 -0700, "rigger" wrote:

Mark Rand wrote:
[...]

The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that
English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow
words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways
to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.
--James D. Nicoll

"If thy pride is sorely vexed when others disparage your offering, be
as lamb's wool is to cold rain and the Gore-tex of Odin's raiment
is to gull**** in the gale, for thy angst shall vex them not at
all. Yea, they shall scorn thee all the more. Rejoice in
sharing what you have to share without expectation of adoration,
knowing that sharing your treasure does not diminish your treasure
but enriches it."

- Onni 1:33

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Fri, 19 May 2006 13:25:55 GMT, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

[...]

Im told..told mind you...mear hearsay..that the spring type clothes
pins are safer and dont rattle in you pocket on the way to a date.

And they work just as well as vise grips.

I'm sure they do ...

Gunner

"If thy pride is sorely vexed when others disparage your offering, be
as lamb's wool is to cold rain and the Gore-tex of Odin's raiment
is to gull**** in the gale, for thy angst shall vex them not at
all. Yea, they shall scorn thee all the more. Rejoice in
sharing what you have to share without expectation of adoration,
knowing that sharing your treasure does not diminish your treasure
but enriches it."

- Onni 1:33
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

wrote:

On Fri, 19 May 2006 06:47:45 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
(daniel peterman) quickly quoth:

Somebody here in San Diego avertised on craigslist that he has a DOME
buggy for sale or trade.
A few weeks ago someone wanted to buy some CRUSHES. I coudln't figure
this one out until another reader suggested that he needed CRUTCHES, not
crushes. I think it's a border spanglish error....
crushes... we don't need no steenkeen crushes...

Don't crush that swarf and hand me the pliers.

Murphy was an Optimist
----------------------------

Cu cu Cumming Mother!

Gunner

"If thy pride is sorely vexed when others disparage your offering, be
as lamb's wool is to cold rain and the Gore-tex of Odin's raiment
is to gull**** in the gale, for thy angst shall vex them not at
all. Yea, they shall scorn thee all the more. Rejoice in
sharing what you have to share without expectation of adoration,
knowing that sharing your treasure does not diminish your treasure
but enriches it."

- Onni 1:33
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Sat, 20 May 2006 14:34:22 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sat, 20 May 2006 17:23:08 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner
quickly quoth:

wrote:

On Fri, 19 May 2006 06:47:45 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
(daniel peterman) quickly quoth:
crushes... we don't need no steenkeen crushes...

Don't crush that swarf and hand me the pliers.

Cu cu Cumming Mother!

I didn't breast-feed you for 14 years for nothing.

--
Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.
---- --Unknown

Deep inside the mysteries of Rec.crafts.metalworking..we discover a
secret cult of Firesigners....

Gunner, member of the philadalists club, in Sector 7

"If thy pride is sorely vexed when others disparage your offering, be
as lamb's wool is to cold rain and the Gore-tex of Odin's raiment
is to gull**** in the gale, for thy angst shall vex them not at
all. Yea, they shall scorn thee all the more. Rejoice in
sharing what you have to share without expectation of adoration,
knowing that sharing your treasure does not diminish your treasure
but enriches it."

- Onni 1:33
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mark Rand

On 20 May 2006 08:32:33 -0700, "rigger" wrote:

So checking at (with? about with?) www.royal.gov.uk I find (found?)
there were no reigning female monarchs (queens?) during Noah's time
(lifetime?); just a bunch of gentlemen (chaps? royalty?) by the name of
"George"; 3 or 4 if I remember correctly (properly?). House of
Hanover, I believe, as opposed to Orange or some other color (colour?).

No shame, I'm sure, in not knowing the answer, as I doubt many in the
US (myself included) would (will?) remember the names and dates of
service (incumbency?) of the US presidents (in our much shorter
history) and how they would relate to the life span of Noah Wester
(sic). ((sac? soc?))

Buy: (a word steeped in American tradition )

dennis
in nca

p.s. Please make necessary corrections ASAP. Thank you, D.

Noah Webster (October 16, 1758 – May 28, 1843)

Victoria (Alexandrina Victoria) (24 May 1819 – 22 January 1901) was the Queen
of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland from 20 June 1837

Have a nice Millennium G

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mark Rand

On Sat, 20 May 2006 15:09:02 GMT, "David R. Birch" wrote:

And it's Noah Webster.

David

Finger trouble!

Mark Rand
RTFM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Husvar

In article . com,
"rigger" wrote:

Please, be sure you have a nice Millennium as well.

Well, the last one wasn't as bad as it could have been. Remains to be
seen how this one goes.

--
Bring back, Oh bring back
Oh, bring back that old continuity.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
pyotr filipivich

Okay, so I'm late and catching up, but "rigger" wrote on 20
May 2006 08:51:57 -0700 in rec.crafts.metalworking :

By the way, now that I've got someone of linguistic expertise handy, I
hope you can answer a question for me. I was listening to a shortwave
BBC news program the other day and the speaker, who seemed to my
uneducated ears as "Very British", kept on referring to China as
"Chin-er"; what's with that?

Just as there are silent letters, e.g. the 'b' in 'subtle'; so there
are 'invisible letters' which are pronounced, but not written, such as the
final 'r' in words written with terminal a vowel. Hence "Cuba" is
pronounced "Cub-er", "China" as "Chin'er", and "milk shake" as "frapp".
This is all part and properties of the transitive consonant, because to
make up for these pronunciation of invisible letters, other instances of
the letter are not pronounced, e.g. the Rs in Harvard (Haavad), automobile
(ca'ah) and Worcester (Woostah).
It is a hold over from the days of the Puritans, who spoke the dialect
of East Anglia, not necessarily that of London (i.e. the King's English.).

Is this still considered the "King's" (or
Queen's as some prefer) English? Or has your form of english also
stagnated? Some dialects such as Cockney seem quite different and
unintelligible. You dig what I'm sayin' bro'?

"There are places where English quite simply disappears.
In America, they haven't spoken it for years." Prof. H. Higgins.

dennis
in nca

--
pyotr filipivich.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
pyotr filipivich

Okay, so I'm late and catching up, but Gunner wrote
on Sat, 20 May 2006 16:18:03 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :

He DID come to the right place, though. Vice or vise, we have lots of hands
on experience. (no pun intended)

I think this is a problem we must come to grips with. (Warning, I work
twelve hour shifts and the next one starts too soon. I'm starting to
channel Peter Sellers and Grouch Marx. Not a good sign.)

BTW, if you ever need any vise grips on ebay, you can get killer deals on
"vice grips" listed by the clueless, and not found in regular keyword
searches. I finished out my forty odd collection of vise grips at very
reasonable prices with "vice" grips.

Ah-hem. I have it on good authority, that the small vise grips, do
work well, in pairs, for vice. There are, however, some things I wish I
didn't know.

Im told..told mind you...mear hearsay..that the spring type clothes
pins are safer and dont rattle in you pocket on the way to a date.

I'll take your word for it.

I heard it explained as "just remember The Boy Scout motto, and Being
Prepared."

And they work just as well as vise grips.

I'm sure they do ...

pyotr

"And don't solicit for your sister,
that's not nice.
Unless you get a good percentage
of her price."

--
pyotr filipivich
We didn't have these sorts of problems when I was a boy,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
rigger

pyotr filipivich wrote:
[...]

I agree, however it seems this may be purposeful as shown in this item
I just read in a news report this morning:

"Before he became president, John Adams lobbied in 1780 for the
creation of a national academy to refine, correct and improve the
English language. Adams' proposal died, thanks to some lawmakers who
saw it as a Royalist attempt to define personal behavior."

With this idea in mind, and the United States as large and undeveloped
as it was originally, it would be odd if the language _didn't_ change.

dennis
in nca