Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Odd Screws

Went to the car this morning to find two flat tyres - both nearside. Both
with screws in them. Checked the road and found a few others outside a
house opposite where the gas people had been working. They were unusual in
that they looked like ordinary twin thread screws - but had a torx drive
instead of the usual pozidriv. Had a load of letters round the head too.
I'd love to identify the nice man who dropped these screws and couldn't be
bothered to pick them up - and give him the bill for a new tyre plus one
puncture repair...

--
*Black holes are where God divided by zero *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
On 2010-05-22, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Went to the car this morning to find two flat tyres - both nearside.
Both with screws in them. Checked the road and found a few others
outside a house opposite where the gas people had been working. They
were unusual in that they looked like ordinary twin thread screws -
but had a torx drive instead of the usual pozidriv. Had a load of
letters round the head too. I'd love to identify the nice man who
dropped these screws and couldn't be bothered to pick them up - and
give him the bill for a new tyre plus one puncture repair...

They sound like the screws the double glazing firm used to fit UPVC
frames into the wooden studding of my dormers.

No new windows been fitted close to here that I can see. Of course the van
or whatever could have been parked some way off from the job.

--
*How's my driving? Call 999*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Went to the car this morning to find two flat tyres - both nearside.
Both with screws in them. Checked the road and found a few others
outside a house opposite where the gas people had been working. They
were unusual in that they looked like ordinary twin thread screws -
but had a torx drive instead of the usual pozidriv. Had a load of
letters round the head too. I'd love to identify the nice man who
dropped these screws and couldn't be bothered to pick them up - and
give him the bill for a new tyre plus one puncture repair...

Presuming that you are alleging that the gas people were the cause:

You would have to have incontrovertible proof that A - one of the gas people
dropped the screws due to negligence B - identify the actual perpetrator and
C - have independent witnesses to corroborate that fact.

As a matter of interest, why would any of the gas persons want to walk
across to the other side of the road from where they were working (presuming
their vehicle was parked outside the property where the job was)?

BTW, the screws could have come from anywhere as they are used in many
different applications.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Unbeliever wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Went to the car this morning to find two flat tyres - both nearside.
Both with screws in them. Checked the road and found a few others
outside a house opposite where the gas people had been working. They
were unusual in that they looked like ordinary twin thread screws -
but had a torx drive instead of the usual pozidriv. Had a load of
letters round the head too. I'd love to identify the nice man who
dropped these screws and couldn't be bothered to pick them up - and
give him the bill for a new tyre plus one puncture repair...

Presuming that you are alleging that the gas people were the cause:

They were parked where I found the screws, and where I'd parked later on
the same day.

You would have to have incontrovertible proof that A - one of the gas
people dropped the screws due to negligence B - identify the actual
perpetrator and C - have independent witnesses to corroborate that fact.

Could be. Although dropping and leaving several of such things - but
kicking them into the gutter - isn't exactly careful behaviour.

As a matter of interest, why would any of the gas persons want to walk
across to the other side of the road from where they were working
(presuming their vehicle was parked outside the property where the job
was)?

Who said they did? I had parked on the other side of the road earlier.

BTW, the screws could have come from anywhere as they are used in many
different applications.

That's what I was wondering, not having seen them before. I was hoping
they might be exclusive to one company.

--
*Could it be that "I do " is the longest sentence? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave Plowman (News)"
saying something like:

Went to the car this morning to find two flat tyres - both nearside. Both
with screws in them. Checked the road and found a few others outside a
house opposite where the gas people had been working. They were unusual in
that they looked like ordinary twin thread screws - but had a torx drive
instead of the usual pozidriv. Had a load of letters round the head too.
I'd love to identify the nice man who dropped these screws and couldn't be
bothered to pick them up - and give him the bill for a new tyre plus one
puncture repair...

Outside my house is a hump-back bridge which some loons take at stupid
speeds. It's quite amusing hearing the cracking of oil pans, some days.
Said bridge often catches out trailer owners as it's a nasty hump if
taken at just the wrong/right speed for the combo car&trailer, leaving
the trailer flying in the wake of the car and thudding down like a lump
of concrete, launching its contents into the air on the rebound.
A couple of years ago some eejit builder with trailer went over at the
wrong speed and liberally scattered copper roofing nails all over the
road - luckily for me I'd turned left that morning and missed all of
them; not so lucky for the people passing by, the road to the right was
carpeted in them. Many, many punctures ensued.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

A couple of years ago some eejit builder with trailer went over at the
wrong speed and liberally scattered copper roofing nails all over the
road - luckily for me I'd turned left that morning and missed all of
them; not so lucky for the people passing by, the road to the right was
carpeted in them. Many, many punctures ensued.

I still count my most terrifying moment on the motorways as a trip down
the M56 to Chester. Just after Junction 14 a passing car sprayed me with
what seemed to be gravel. Then the same car started to swerve wildly
across the road. I felt my steering get light and slowed down gently,
eventually getting some feeling back in the steering. All around me cars
were skidding about as if on ice, but it was a fine summer's day. I
realised that the motorway was covered in ball bearings. About 400
metres down the road things were back to normal, then I passed a sign
"Debris in Road".

I was working for HA at the time and phoned the local police responsible
for setting the signs and sugested that they move the signs about a mile
closer to Manchester and imposed a 20mph limit until the stuff could be
cleaned up. Apparently a passing truck had dropped a large cardboard box
with 50Kg of ball bearings half an hour before, but the driver had given
the wrong location for the incident.

The car I was driving looked as if it had been shotgunned with big dents
in the bodywork and cracked wndscreen/shattered side windows.
Fortunately it was a works hack not my own car.

DIY screws Matty F UK diy 43 May 18th 10 08:36 AM
How to differentiate PK (self-tapping) screws and chipboard screws? [email protected] UK diy 4 July 27th 09 06:00 PM
Using sheet metal, particle board, or drywall screws in wood, and help finding source for black wood screws John2005 Woodworking 10 June 19th 06 04:35 PM
Sheetmetal screws, chassis screws, fastening idears Proctologically Violated©® Metalworking 3 November 9th 05 06:29 AM
Screws! Steve Jones UK diy 12 September 8th 04 06:47 PM