Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DIY screws

I was asked to make some one inch brass screws to a particular design.
I've never made screws before and I was not sure that I could get them
threaded properly, or to make the heads nicely rounded.

Here's the result, and the brass rod I made them from:
http://i39.tinypic.com/167sg9g.jpg

To get the threading die started I had to taper the end of the rod

I had trouble making the heads round so I made curved lathe tool for
the job. I've never been taught how to set up a lathe or make tools
but it seemed to work fine. I'll have go at anything!

Here's a screw being turned in the lathe:
http://i41.tinypic.com/mjuy5g.jpg

I cut the slot in a power bandsaw, since I can never get them right
with a hand hacksaw.

Does anyone know if dies are available to cut the thread on wood
screws, i.e. a tapered thread?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/05/10 10:11, Matty F wrote:
I was asked to make some one inch brass screws to a particular design.
I've never made screws before and I was not sure that I could get them
threaded properly, or to make the heads nicely rounded.

Here's the result, and the brass rod I made them from:
http://i39.tinypic.com/167sg9g.jpg

Bloody 'ell - is there anything you can't do in that workshop of yours ;-

Very beautiful work

--
Tim Watts

Hung parliament? Rather have a hanged parliament.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tim Watts
scribeth thus
On 11/05/10 10:11, Matty F wrote:
I was asked to make some one inch brass screws to a particular design.
I've never made screws before and I was not sure that I could get them
threaded properly, or to make the heads nicely rounded.

Here's the result, and the brass rod I made them from:
http://i39.tinypic.com/167sg9g.jpg

Bloody 'ell - is there anything you can't do in that workshop of yours ;-

Very beautiful work

Likewise. Its gratifying to see someone can still do that!...

To get the threading die started I had to taper the end of the rod

I had trouble making the heads round so I made curved lathe tool for
the job. I've never been taught how to set up a lathe or make tools
but it seemed to work fine. I'll have go at anything!

Here's a screw being turned in the lathe:
http://i41.tinypic.com/mjuy5g.jpg

I cut the slot in a power bandsaw, since I can never get them right
with a hand hacksaw.

Does anyone know if dies are available to cut the thread on wood
screws, i.e. a tapered thread?

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Matty F" wrote in message

Does anyone know if dies are available to cut the thread on wood
screws, i.e. a tapered thread?

Have Google on BSPT.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tap_and_die

--
The man who smiles when things go wrong has
thought of someone to blame it on.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 11, 10:06 pm, Nitro® wrote:
"Matty F" wrote in message

Does anyone know if dies are available to cut the thread on wood
screws, i.e. a tapered thread?

Have Google on BSPT.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tap_and_die

I couldn't find what I wanted. I want to make "cut thread" screws that
go into wood, mainly out of brass but also steel if that is possible.
Large brass screws are very expensive in small quantities, and I need
maybe one or half a dozen of lots of different sizes (to match those
in 100 year old vehicles if you must know)
After making machine screws as above, I though maybe I could buy dies
that would cut a suitable thread. I could buy a screw cutting
attachment for a lathe but that is very expensive. Unless I invent or
make one! Hmmm there's an idea.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 11, 9:30 pm, Tim Watts wrote:
On 11/05/10 10:11, Matty F wrote:

I was asked to make some one inch brass screws to a particular design.
I've never made screws before and I was not sure that I could get them
threaded properly, or to make the heads nicely rounded.

Here's the result, and the brass rod I made them from:
http://i39.tinypic.com/167sg9g.jpg

Bloody 'ell - is there anything you can't do in that workshop of yours ;-

Very beautiful work

Thanks! There is not a lot of room in the workshop.
My messy bench is on the right:
http://i42.tinypic.com/68bgpl.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matty F wrote:

I had trouble making the heads round so I made curved lathe tool for
the job.

What you want is a ball turning tool. See:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4pwUw0G3RQ

I made one for my lathe and it's great. You start going round looking
for shafts that need spheres (I'm not going to say knobs!!) on the end.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 11, 11:03 pm, Scott M wrote:
Matty F wrote:
I had trouble making the heads round so I made curved lathe tool for
the job.

What you want is a ball turning tool. See:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4pwUw0G3RQ

I made one for my lathe and it's great. You start going round looking
for shafts that need spheres (I'm not going to say knobs!!) on the end.

That's very clever.
The tool I made just has a quarter circle shape. Since the head of the
screw is very close to the chuck jaws I have to be careful.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matty F wrote:

That's very clever.

Make one.... Go on.... You know you want to :-)

The tool I made just has a quarter circle shape. Since the head of the
screw is very close to the chuck jaws I have to be careful.

A 'form tool' that's called. Can put quite a lot of strain on a small
lathe but a valid way to do things all the same.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 May, 12:03, Scott M wrote:
Matty F wrote:
I had trouble making the heads round so I made curved lathe tool for
the job.

What you want is a ball turning tool. See:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4pwUw0G3RQ

I made one for my lathe and it's great. You start going round looking
for shafts that need spheres (I'm not going to say knobs!!) on the end.

--
Scott

Thanks for that, Scott. Impressive; I must follow all the links
through.
Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 May, 10:11, Matty F wrote:
I was asked to make some one inch brass screws to a particular design.
I've never made screws before and I was not sure that I could get them
threaded properly, or to make the heads nicely rounded.

Here's the result, and the brass rod I made them from:http://i39.tinypic.com/167sg9g.jpg

To get the threading die started I had to taper the end of the rod

I had trouble making the heads round so I made curved lathe tool for
the job. I've never been taught how to set up a lathe or make tools
but it seemed to work fine. I'll have *go at anything!

Here's a screw being turned in the lathe:http://i41.tinypic.com/mjuy5g.jpg

I cut the slot in a power bandsaw, since I can never get them right
with a hand hacksaw.

Does anyone know if dies are available to cut the thread on wood
screws, i.e. a tapered thread?

Cutting a tapered thread can be done on a lathe, between centres with
an offset tailstock (so you turn a taper). I'm pretty sure there's no
die available - what diameter hole would it have?
They are produced commercially by squishing (tech term there) between
2 halves of a tool.

Phil.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

robgraham wrote:

Thanks for that, Scott. Impressive; I must follow all the links
through.

My pleasure, Rob.

There's two schools of thought on making these. If the one above can be
considered 'vertical' the alternative is using a boring head in the
horizontal plane.

I don't have a mill (so no bore head) so I made the vertical one and two
different sized arms; one for sitting on the cross slide and the other
for use on the vertical slide to allow bigger diameters to be turned.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 May 2010 02:11:08 -0700 (PDT), Matty F
wrote:

Does anyone know if dies are available to cut the thread on wood
screws, i.e. a tapered thread?

http://cool.conservation-us.org/cool...ood_Screws.pdf

Page 8 has a drawing of a tool...

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
s.com, Matty F scribeth thus
On 11/05/10 10:11, Matty F wrote:

I was asked to make some one inch brass screws to a particular design.
I've never made screws before and I was not sure that I could get them
threaded properly, or to make the heads nicely rounded.

Here's the result, and the brass rod I made them from:
http://i39.tinypic.com/167sg9g.jpg

Bloody 'ell - is there anything you can't do in that workshop of yours ;-

Very beautiful work

Thanks! There is not a lot of room in the workshop.
My messy bench is on the right:
http://i42.tinypic.com/68bgpl.jpg

That a saddle tank on the left?..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scott M wrote:
Matty F wrote:

I had trouble making the heads round so I made curved lathe tool for
the job.

What you want is a ball turning tool. See:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4pwUw0G3RQ

I made one for my lathe and it's great. You start going round looking
for shafts that need spheres (I'm not going to say knobs!!) on the end.

Stupid question time now.

What sort of lathe moves the chuck in and out and left and right,
instead of the cutter?

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
On 11/05/10 10:11, Matty F wrote:
I was asked to make some one inch brass screws to a particular
design. I've never made screws before and I was not sure that I
could get them threaded properly, or to make the heads nicely
rounded. Here's the result, and the brass rod I made them from:
http://i39.tinypic.com/167sg9g.jpg

Bloody 'ell - is there anything you can't do in that workshop of
yours ;-
Very beautiful work

I was just going to say exactly the same thing! I was gobsmacked by your
talent with an angle grinder :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/05/10 18:05, Dave wrote:
Scott M wrote:
Matty F wrote:

I had trouble making the heads round so I made curved lathe tool for
the job.

What you want is a ball turning tool. See:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4pwUw0G3RQ

I made one for my lathe and it's great. You start going round looking
for shafts that need spheres (I'm not going to say knobs!!) on the end.

Stupid question time now.

What sort of lathe moves the chuck in and out and left and right,
instead of the cutter?

Dave

I was wondering that, but I also wondered if he'd clamped the camera to
the tool carriage (what's that really called?)

--
Tim Watts

Hung parliament? Rather have a hanged parliament.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 May, 18:05, Dave wrote:
Scott M wrote:
Matty F wrote:

I had trouble making the heads round so I made curved lathe tool for
the job.

What you want is a ball turning tool. See:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4pwUw0G3RQ

I made one for my lathe and it's great. You start going round looking
for shafts that need spheres (I'm not going to say knobs!!) on the end.

Stupid question time now.

What sort of lathe moves the chuck in and out and left and right,
instead of the cutter?

It's an illusion, watch the bed below the chuck.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 May, 12:03, Scott M wrote:

I made one for my lathe and it's great. You start going round looking
for shafts that need spheres (I'm not going to say knobs!!) on the end.

You want to build a Quorn: http://www.duncanamps.com/metal/images/quorn_view1.gif

Posted to uk.d-i-y

pcb1962 wrote:

You want to build a Quorn: http://www.duncanamps.com/metal/images/quorn_view1.gif

dribble

I've seen them in many a book and to this day I've still no idea what
one does, but they don't half look good! :-)

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 12, 4:30 am, tony sayer wrote:
In article
s.com, Matty F scribeth thus

My messy bench is on the right:
http://i42.tinypic.com/68bgpl.jpg

That a saddle tank on the left?..

Yes. Here's a clearer pic:
http://i44.tinypic.com/wmmufl.jpg

And here it is all covered up so it doesn't frighten the horses!
http://i43.tinypic.com/19bgx1.jpg
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matty F wrote:
On May 12, 4:30 am, tony sayer wrote:
In article
s.com, Matty F scribeth thus

My messy bench is on the right:
http://i42.tinypic.com/68bgpl.jpg

That a saddle tank on the left?..

Yes. Here's a clearer pic:
http://i44.tinypic.com/wmmufl.jpg

And here it is all covered up so it doesn't frighten the horses!
http://i43.tinypic.com/19bgx1.jpg

Oh! Come on, tell us how much you are worth :-)

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Does anyone know if dies are available to cut the thread on wood
screws, i.e. a tapered thread?

http://cool.conservation-us.org/cool...ood_Screws.pdf

Page 8 has a drawing of a tool...

Excellent thanks. I see there's a hand made screw on page 9, done with
a file. I'm starting to think of an angle grinder with a thin blade!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 12, 10:44 am, Dave wrote:
Matty F wrote:
On May 12, 4:30 am, tony sayer wrote:
In article
s.com, Matty F scribeth thus

My messy bench is on the right:
http://i42.tinypic.com/68bgpl.jpg
That a saddle tank on the left?..

Yes. Here's a clearer pic:
http://i44.tinypic.com/wmmufl.jpg

And here it is all covered up so it doesn't frighten the horses!
http://i43.tinypic.com/19bgx1.jpg

Oh! Come on, tell us how much you are worth :-)

I don't own any of that, I just work there as a volunteer keeping the
machinery going and making parts.
I do have a workshop at home with almost every tool I can buy!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 May 2010 16:02:40 -0700 (PDT), Matty F
wrote:

Excellent thanks. I see there's a hand made screw on page 9, done with
a file. I'm starting to think of an angle grinder with a thin blade!

You need 0.8 mm and 1.0 mm cutting discs for the angle grinder anyway. They are
cheap, and spectacularly quick and neat on sheet metal compared to the fat
cutoff blades. Then you could play with mounting it on a lathe and turning the
lathe very slowly (poss. by hand) and grinding the threads...

Note page 10, where they say the conical screws are no good. Made sense to me
once they point it out, the "cone" will fall out after a half-turn or so. So
feed can be parallel to the stock.

Or could you take modern screws, and machine then down?

OTOH, a chippie I knew threw away a large box filled with screws. They were
pretty much all slotted wood screws, remains of boxes of rusty screws of every
dimension used that shop for the in the past sixty years. Also decades worth of
dumped bottom-of-toolbox bits. And by "large box", I mean about three by three
foot, and two high.

So there's probably a stock of whatever you need somewhere. A diving rod, maybe?

Thomas Prufer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

We already have sorted out huge boxes of screws and bolts.
We have to restore and maintain a great variety of old machinery and
vehicles dating back to 1891, and bolts and wood screws have to look
correct.
Many bolts are Whitworth but that is hard to get now so we will use
UNC (with the correct nuts of course). Sometimes we need metric bolts.
We also have BA. There are coach bolts and countersunk bolts and high
tensile bolts and steel, brass and stainless steel bolts. I'm looking
after about 250 boxes of different bolts.
I don't look after the wood screws but there would be maybe 400
different boxes of slotted screws, in steel, brass, plated, round
head, countersunk, cheese head, in all the different lengths and
thicknesses.

There's no urgency but for making a few large screws (1 to 3 inch) I'm
thinking along the lines of making most of the screw on a lathe then
making the thread using a slow fixed thin grinding wheel. I'll hold
the screw in a collet chuck and rotate it by hand against the grinder.
The chuck will wind forwards and backwards with a screw feed of the
desired pitch.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 12 May 2010 02:06:42 -0700 (PDT), Matty F
wrote:

I'm looking
after about 250 boxes of different bolts.
I don't look after the wood screws but there would be maybe 400
different boxes of slotted screws, in steel, brass, plated, round
head, countersunk, cheese head, in all the different lengths and
thicknesses.

Like I wanted to say but didn't (what's a "diving rod"? Aaargh!), you need a
*divining* rod...

There's no urgency but for making a few large screws (1 to 3 inch) I'm
thinking along the lines of making most of the screw on a lathe then
making the thread using a slow fixed thin grinding wheel. I'll hold
the screw in a collet chuck and rotate it by hand against the grinder.
The chuck will wind forwards and backwards with a screw feed of the
desired pitch.

Or "just file it":-) I have seen a well-trained machinist do thing with files
that were amazing. His training with files began with filing a cube, accurate in
dimension and angle, checked with a straightedge against the light all ways...

I was at a museum recently where they restored guns and rifles and such. While
the mililitary was an early adopter of standarisation, to ensure some
interchangeability of guns parts, there were first no standards, then many local
standards. The machinist said he tried to set up the lathe to what he though
he'd measured, machined a screw thread, checked if it fit, and repeat the whole
process until it did... Many of the threads were corroded by gunpowder remains,
too.

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:
Scott M wrote:
Matty F wrote:

I had trouble making the heads round so I made curved lathe tool for
the job.

What you want is a ball turning tool. See:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4pwUw0G3RQ

I made one for my lathe and it's great. You start going round looking
for shafts that need spheres (I'm not going to say knobs!!) on the end.

Stupid question time now.

What sort of lathe moves the chuck in and out and left and right,
instead of the cutter?

There are moving head lathes, although that is not one - the camera is
simply mounted with the tool holder. You can also get lathes where the
tools rotate, rather than the head.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matty F wrote:
On May 12, 10:44 am, Dave wrote:
Matty F wrote:
On May 12, 4:30 am, tony sayer wrote:
In article
s.com, Matty F scribeth thus
My messy bench is on the right:
http://i42.tinypic.com/68bgpl.jpg
That a saddle tank on the left?..
Yes. Here's a clearer pic:
http://i44.tinypic.com/wmmufl.jpg
And here it is all covered up so it doesn't frighten the horses!
http://i43.tinypic.com/19bgx1.jpg

Oh! Come on, tell us how much you are worth :-)

I don't own any of that, I just work there as a volunteer keeping the
machinery going and making parts.
I do have a workshop at home with almost every tool I can buy!

R I C

Thanks Matty

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar "cpb"@ insertmysurnamehere wrote:
Dave wrote:
Scott M wrote:
Matty F wrote:

I had trouble making the heads round so I made curved lathe tool for
the job.

What you want is a ball turning tool. See:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4pwUw0G3RQ

I made one for my lathe and it's great. You start going round looking
for shafts that need spheres (I'm not going to say knobs!!) on the end.

Stupid question time now.

What sort of lathe moves the chuck in and out and left and right,
instead of the cutter?

There are moving head lathes, although that is not one - the camera is
simply mounted with the tool holder. You can also get lathes where the
tools rotate, rather than the head.

Colin Bignell

I must have been thick not to have spotted that, thanks Colin.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Does anyone know if dies are available to cut the thread on wood
screws, i.e. a tapered thread?

http://cool.conservation-us.org/cool...ood_Screws.pdf

Page 8 has a drawing of a tool...

Excellent thanks. I see there's a hand made screw on page 9, done with
a file. I'm starting to think of an angle grinder with a thin blade!

Imagine having to produce a thousand of those at a time. It takes me
back to the time I first entered the aerospace industry. We were
converting Victor bombers into refuelling tankers and one task was to
remove the lower skin of the outer wing to replace it with a new one. In
most cases, most of the bolts were in sheer, but the threads were
machined too long and being the newbie, it was my job to cut off the
excess threads. Well over a thousand per wing were required. You just
had to switch your mind to other things.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 12, 12:23 am, Phil wrote:
On 11 May, 10:11, Matty F wrote:

Does anyone know if dies are available to cut the thread on wood
screws, i.e. a tapered thread?

Cutting a tapered thread can be done on a lathe, between centres with
an offset tailstock (so you turn a taper). I'm pretty sure there's no
die available - what diameter hole would it have?

I can't see myself holding a 1 inch screw between centres.
When I used the die to cut the thread above, it cut a tapered thread.
I had to reverse the die in order to tap right up to the end where the
diameter gets bigger.

They are produced commercially by squishing (tech term there) between
2 halves of a tool.

I want to match screws made the old fashioned way, like 100 years ago.
I think I will make an adjustable die and see how it works on brass.
My uncle made dies out of old files while he was a POW in WW2. I have
better facilities than he had!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:
Scott M wrote:
Matty F wrote:

I had trouble making the heads round so I made curved lathe tool for
the job.

What you want is a ball turning tool. See:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4pwUw0G3RQ

I made one for my lathe and it's great. You start going round
looking for shafts that need spheres (I'm not going to say knobs!!)
on the end.

Stupid question time now.

What sort of lathe moves the chuck in and out and left and right,
instead of the cutter?

There are moving head lathes, although that is not one - the camera is
simply mounted with the tool holder. You can also get lathes where the
tools rotate, rather than the head.

Colin Bignell

I must have been thick not to have spotted that, thanks Colin.

I had to look at it twice to be sure.

Colin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matty F writes:
We have to restore and maintain a great variety of old machinery and
vehicles dating back to 1891, and bolts and wood screws have to look
correct.
Many bolts are Whitworth but that is hard to get now so we will use
UNC (with the correct nuts of course).

Curiously the thread on camera tripod mounts is ¼€³BSW; I was
looking for a die for that and found this site:
http://www.tapdie.com/html/bsw__dies.html I haven't tried them
out yet, but it might be worth a shot for you.

--
Jón Fairbairn
http://www.chaos.org.uk/~jf/Stuff-I-dont-want.html (updated 2009-01-31)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 13, 8:05 pm, Jon Fairbairn wrote:
Matty F writes:
We have to restore and maintain a great variety of old machinery and
vehicles dating back to 1891, and bolts and wood screws have to look
correct.
Many bolts are Whitworth but that is hard to get now so we will use
UNC (with the correct nuts of course).

Curiously the thread on camera tripod mounts is ¼€³BSW; I was
looking for a die for that and found this site:
http://www.tapdie.com/html/bsw__dies.html I haven't tried them
out yet, but it might be worth a shot for you.

Thanks. The thread has diverted to the cutting of wood screws.
We actually have a full set of BSW dies (dice?). For important bolts
like for holding the brakes on we'll use modern high-tensile UNC
bolts, since they are fairly hidden and purists won't be able to see
them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matty F wrote:

I don't own any of that, I just work there as a volunteer keeping the
machinery going and making parts.

Where is it? Looks like MOTAT.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matty F wrote:

Does anyone know if dies are available to cut the thread on wood
screws, i.e. a tapered thread?

Have you considered lost-wax casting? There might be local foundry that can do
that. You'd still need to machine the head.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 14, 12:07 pm, Gib Bogle wrote:
Matty F wrote:
I don't own any of that, I just work there as a volunteer keeping the
machinery going and making parts.

Where is it? Looks like MOTAT.

How observant of you
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 14, 12:12 pm, Gib Bogle wrote:
Matty F wrote:
Does anyone know if dies are available to cut the thread on wood
screws, i.e. a tapered thread?

Have you considered lost-wax casting? There might be local foundry that can do
that. You'd still need to machine the head.

I'm sure I can make a device to hold screw blank while I'm grinding
it.
It will be quicker to grind it than to drive to a foundry and pick it
up, and they would charge $100 for their time.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matty F wrote:
Does anyone know if dies are available to cut the thread on wood
screws, i.e. a tapered thread?

Have you considered lost-wax casting? There might be local foundry that can do
that. You'd still need to machine the head.

I'm sure I can make a device to hold screw blank while I'm grinding
it.
It will be quicker to grind it than to drive to a foundry and pick it
up, and they would charge $100 for their time.

I guess it's a question of how many you want to make.