Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default bay window felt

I have a leaky bay window about 6ft x 2ft.
Been quoted 280 for hot pitch and felt plus a cover to stop cracking.
Is this about right?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/05/10 13:11, Tod wrote:
I have a leaky bay window about 6ft x 2ft.
Been quoted 280 for hot pitch and felt plus a cover to stop cracking.
Is this about right?

Doesn't sound too far off. How many layers of felt and what's this "cover"?

Have you considered lead? My bays are about that size and they were
releaded about 10 years ago and I would expect another couple of decades
at least. It will cost more and you need a lead capble peson, not a
random builder, but it's worth it IMO.

--
Tim Watts

Hung parliament? Rather have a hanged parliament.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 May 2010 16:24:12 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

On 17/05/10 13:11, Tod wrote:
I have a leaky bay window about 6ft x 2ft.
Been quoted 280 for hot pitch and felt plus a cover to stop cracking.
Is this about right?

Doesn't sound too far off. How many layers of felt and what's this "cover"?

2 layers
The cover is some sort of reflective layer that stops cracking in hot
weather

Have you considered lead? My bays are about that size and they were
releaded about 10 years ago and I would expect another couple of decades
at least. It will cost more and you need a lead capble peson, not a
random builder, but it's worth it IMO.

Lead has gone up apparently. Over double the price of the felt.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/05/10 13:11, Tod wrote:
I have a leaky bay window about 6ft x 2ft.
Been quoted 280 for hot pitch and felt plus a cover to stop cracking.
Is this about right?

Doesn't sound too far off. How many layers of felt and what's this "cover"?

2 layers
The cover is some sort of reflective layer that stops cracking in hot
weather

Have you considered lead? My bays are about that size and they were
releaded about 10 years ago and I would expect another couple of decades
at least. It will cost more and you need a lead capble peson, not a
random builder, but it's worth it IMO.

Lead has gone up apparently. Over double the price of the felt.

Okay now.
Found a comparison site with quotes for similar work
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Watts writes:
On 17/05/10 13:11, Tod wrote:
I have a leaky bay window about 6ft x 2ft.
Been quoted 280 for hot pitch and felt plus a cover to stop cracking.
Is this about right?

Doesn't sound too far off. How many layers of felt and what's this "cover"?

Have you considered lead? My bays are about that size and they were
releaded about 10 years ago and I would expect another couple of decades
at least.

I'm not sure about larger areas, but lead flashings, gulleys, etc
should last around 70 years. The limit on life is the number of
expansions/contractions due to temperature changes, and how well
the lead was laid/dressed to allow for that without becoming
stressed or falling out of the brickwork.

Another limit on life is how accessible it is to be stolen.

It will cost more and you need a lead capble peson, not a
random builder, but it's worth it IMO.

Absolutely.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tod wrote:

I have a leaky bay window about 6ft x 2ft.
Been quoted 280 for hot pitch and felt plus a cover to stop cracking.
Is this about right?

Not worth it IMHO
Do it once and do it properly
Lead is the only material to use on a bay flat roof

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 17, 10:20*pm, Mark wrote:
Tod wrote:
I have a leaky bay window about 6ft x 2ft.
Been quoted 280 for hot pitch and felt plus a cover to stop cracking.
Is this about right?

Not worth it IMHO
Do it once and do it properly
Lead is the only material to use on a bay flat roof

Yes. If you do go for felt though, the day's diy would save you over
£200 of that.

White paint, silver paint or white stone will all reflect the sun's
heat.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 May, 09:25, NT wrote:
On May 17, 10:20*pm, Mark wrote:

Tod wrote:
I have a leaky bay window about 6ft x 2ft.
Been quoted 280 for hot pitch and felt plus a cover to stop cracking.
Is this about right?

Not worth it IMHO
Do it once and do it properly
Lead is the only material to use on a bay flat roof

Yes. If you do go for felt though, the day's diy would save you over
£200 of that.

White paint, silver paint or white stone will all reflect the sun's
heat.

NT

If it's in a secure enough place why not consider copper. You'll only
do it once in a lifetime.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 18, 1:29*pm, Tim Watts wrote:
On 18/05/10 13:14, wrote:

On 17 May,
* * * *wrote:

Tod wrote:

I have a leaky bay window about 6ft x 2ft.
Been quoted 280 for hot pitch and felt plus a cover to stop cracking.
Is this about right?

Not worth it IMHO
Do it once and do it properly
Lead is the only material to use on a bay flat roof

Copper is just as good. Remember the correct felt below to deaden the sound
of rain. Might be harder to find a suitable plumber.

Next time my dormer felt goes, I may consider copper. Lead will impose
too much load.

These days its probably wise to bitumen paint it afterwards so its not
obvious

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Since we have lead & copper, it seems odd to leave out Zinc :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

This is in reply to message of Mon, 17 May 2010 13:11:51 +0100, Tod
which said:

I have a leaky bay window about 6ft x 2ft.
Been quoted 280 for hot pitch and felt plus a cover to stop cracking.
Is this about right?

Have you thought about GRP? There are a number of companies out there who
will do it for you but you can DIY as well.

http://www.cfsnet.co.uk/acatalog/1project-roofs.html

Rough Guide Price:
Roof Size Total Cost Cost per m/sq.
10 m/sq £116.62 £11.66

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

js.b1 wrote:
Since we have lead & copper, it seems odd to leave out Zinc :-)

and aluminium

NT

Felt Roofing? Ben UK diy 7 September 10th 12 11:58 AM
Felt question [email protected] UK diy 4 May 30th 08 12:09 AM
HAVE YOU EVER FELT LIKE THIS? James R. Shields Woodturning 2 September 22nd 06 05:28 AM
No felt [email protected] UK diy 19 June 5th 06 10:17 AM
to felt or not? jonfechner Home Repair 4 May 23rd 06 02:13 AM