Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Spectacles !

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has found this, but I'm surprised
how often I tell fellow sufferers and they don't know it.

If you are like me and in your senility your eyes will no longer focus
on your computer screen, newspaper, and worst of all that little
fiddly job that really requires close in sight, you will have gone to
Lidls, Costo, Boots, etc and bought 'Reader' glasses.

Have you discovered that if you pile one pair on top of another, they
add up ? You really can recover that close-to seeing capability - OK
you look a tit with three pairs of glasses on your nose and any tool
more than 2 feet away is really blurry, but you're in the workshop
anyway so whose going to see you ?

And before anyone else says it - if you're worried about making a
spectacle of yourself then don't bother..

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

robgraham wrote:
I'm sure I'm not the only one who has found this, but I'm surprised
how often I tell fellow sufferers and they don't know it.

If you are like me and in your senility your eyes will no longer focus
on your computer screen, newspaper, and worst of all that little
fiddly job that really requires close in sight, you will have gone to
Lidls, Costo, Boots, etc and bought 'Reader' glasses.

Have you discovered that if you pile one pair on top of another, they
add up ? You really can recover that close-to seeing capability - OK
you look a tit with three pairs of glasses on your nose and any tool
more than 2 feet away is really blurry, but you're in the workshop
anyway so whose going to see you ?

yeah. I do that. I need trifocals really. Or a pair of bifocals.

And before anyone else says it - if you're worried about making a
spectacle of yourself then don't bother..

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

On 10/05/2010 20:17, robgraham wrote:
[...]

Or do as I did, go and get a pair of intermediate glasses for computer
screen use. (Have almost always worn distance glasses, and never needed
readers.) Luckily my company had to pay... Just have to remember to take
them with me.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 May 2010 12:17:28 -0700, robgraham wrote:

If you are like me and in your senility your eyes will no longer focus
on your computer screen, newspaper, and worst of all that little fiddly
job that really requires close in sight, you will have gone to Lidls,
Costo, Boots, etc and bought 'Reader' glasses.

Have you discovered that if you pile one pair on top of another, they
add up ? You really can recover that close-to seeing capability - OK
you look a tit with three pairs of glasses on your nose and any tool
more than 2 feet away is really blurry, but you're in the workshop
anyway so whose going to see you ?

I use a variety of techniques. I have a 'reading' prescription pair of
bifocals that mean I can read and watch the telly. Single vision distance
does for driving (not strictly necessary but it means I can read how many
miles I've done). -0.5 on the reading one does nicely for computer
screens.

For fiddly work I use a headband with swappable lenses, in front of the
computer glasses.

Oh, and I've just bought a monocle for reading, too.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote on May 10, 2010:

[...]

I've been moderately short-sighted most of my life but it's had the advantage
of remaining able to read the computer screen without glasses as I got older
and lost the power of accommodation.

Recently I developed a cataract in one eye, and the nice surgeon replaced my
cloudy lens with a shiny new one which has restored my distance vision in
that eye. So I can now watch television and use the computer without the need
for glasses. The brain does a marvellous job in selecting the sharpest image
and ignoring the fuzzy one

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:

Or do as I did, go and get a pair of intermediate glasses for computer
screen use. (Have almost always worn distance glasses, and never needed
readers.) Luckily my company had to pay... Just have to remember to take
them with me.

My old reading glasses do fine for the computer. Not really strong
enough for a book any more, but fine for a screen at arms length.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

On 10/05/2010 22:11, Mike Lane wrote:
Rod wrote on May 10, 2010:

[...]

As I was considering why I couldn't see the screen as well as I had,
cataracts occurred to me as a possibility. (Mother had both done on the
past few years so very aware of them.) Especially as there was a sort of
cloudiness rather than just fuzziness. However research plus an eye
examination said this was actually a fairly large vitreous floater. As
there isn't a suitable laser in the toolshed, it will have to stay
there, unfortunately. But I do think it is what prompted me to get
intermediate glasses.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Rod
scribeth thus
Rod wrote on May 10, 2010:

[...]

I had a detached retina welded back into place a year ago. Done with an
Argon Laser and talk about bright!, not the word for it. Couldn't see
afterwards for a few mins but then it all came clear as it were, and has
stayed fixed in place since.

And that started of with a sudden burst of floaters which were made of
the blood from a torn blood vessel in the retina. They re-absorb in time
but some hang around .. just to annoy;!..

Don't do this at home tho;!...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"robgraham" wrote in message
I'm sure I'm not the only one who has found this, but I'm surprised
how often I tell fellow sufferers and they don't know it.

If you are like me and in your senility your eyes will no longer focus
on your computer screen, newspaper, and worst of all that little
fiddly job that really requires close in sight, you will have gone to
Lidls, Costo, Boots, etc and bought 'Reader' glasses.

Have you discovered that if you pile one pair on top of another, they
add up ? You really can recover that close-to seeing capability - OK
you look a tit with three pairs of glasses on your nose and any tool
more than 2 feet away is really blurry, but you're in the workshop
anyway so whose going to see you ?

Anybody on the group that has contacts as well as specs try this for close
work. Put your lenses in and then put your specs on...crap view across the
room but hold your hand up approx 8 inches from your face, you'll see lines
on there you never thought you had!!!

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim
Streater writes
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

robgraham wrote:
I'm sure I'm not the only one who has found this, but I'm surprised
how often I tell fellow sufferers and they don't know it.

If you are like me and in your senility your eyes will no longer focus
on your computer screen, newspaper, and worst of all that little
fiddly job that really requires close in sight, you will have gone to
Lidls, Costo, Boots, etc and bought 'Reader' glasses.

Have you discovered that if you pile one pair on top of another, they
add up ? You really can recover that close-to seeing capability - OK
you look a tit with three pairs of glasses on your nose and any tool
more than 2 feet away is really blurry, but you're in the workshop
anyway so whose going to see you ?

yeah. I do that. I need trifocals really. Or a pair of bifocals.

I've got two sets of varifocals - one for normal use and one for closer
work.

It's a bore - until 1988 I never wore glasses at all.

"What a drag it is getting old ..."

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

robgraham wrote:
I'm sure I'm not the only one who has found this, but I'm surprised
how often I tell fellow sufferers and they don't know it.

If you are like me and in your senility your eyes will no longer focus
on your computer screen, newspaper, and worst of all that little
fiddly job that really requires close in sight, you will have gone to
Lidls, Costo, Boots, etc and bought 'Reader' glasses.

Have you discovered that if you pile one pair on top of another, they
add up ? You really can recover that close-to seeing capability - OK
you look a tit with three pairs of glasses on your nose and any tool
more than 2 feet away is really blurry, but you're in the workshop
anyway so whose going to see you ?

With around 11 dioptres of correction, I only need to slide the glasses
up or down my nose a little bit to change them from reading to distance
glasses.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

robgraham wrote:
[...]

Better than the alternative though.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 May 2010 12:17:28 -0700 (PDT), robgraham wrote:

[...]

I found a clip-on magnifier works best for me for close work. Cost about
£6-7 and I wear them with an older pair or glasses. Gives supoerb detail. I
tried the headband magnifier with different lenses, but was too heavy for
me and anything over about 2-3 times magnification I just couldn't get on
with anyway.

--
The Wanderer

Statistics show that statistics can't be trusted.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 May 2010 01:24:31 +0100, "Nightjar \"cpb\"@"
"insertmysurnamehere wrote:

With around 11 dioptres of correction, I only need to slide the glasses
up or down my nose a little bit to change them from reading to distance
glasses.

Wow. My varifocals have 2.5 dioptres of "correction" (near vs. far)
and I thought that was fairly strong.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message

Anybody on the group that has contacts as well as specs try this for close
work. Put your lenses in and then put your specs on...crap view across
the room but hold your hand up approx 8 inches from your face, you'll see
lines on there you never thought you had!!!

4.5 dioptres of cylinder says I won't see my hands.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

robgraham wrote:
[...]

staying young? Really?
Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"John" wrote in message

Anybody on the group that has contacts as well as specs try this for
close work. Put your lenses in and then put your specs on...crap view
across the room but hold your hand up approx 8 inches from your face,
you'll see lines on there you never thought you had!!!

4.5 dioptres of cylinder says I won't see my hands.

Mine are 4.75 (L) and 5.00 (R) and I can certainly see mine!

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
"dennis@home" wrote in message
4.5 dioptres of cylinder says I won't see my hands.

Mine are 4.75 (L) and 5.00 (R) and I can certainly see mine!

Pfft. -9.75 and -5.50 cyl.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

robgraham wrote:
[...]

1966. Now I do feel old!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

...I only need to slide the glasses
up or down my nose a little bit ..

Colin Bignell

Image of this auto-focus mechanism on your face tuning your glasses
position so that you can see.

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

robgraham wrote:
..I only need to slide the glasses
up or down my nose a little bit ..
Colin Bignell

Image of this auto-focus mechanism on your face tuning your glasses
position so that you can see.

It is called a hand.

In fact, after many decades, the movement is so automatic that I don't
notice I am doing it any more.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bruce wrote:
On Tue, 11 May 2010 01:24:31 +0100, "Nightjar \"cpb\"@"
"insertmysurnamehere wrote:

With around 11 dioptres of correction, I only need to slide the glasses
up or down my nose a little bit to change them from reading to distance
glasses.

Wow. My varifocals have 2.5 dioptres of "correction" (near vs. far)
and I thought that was fairly strong.

That is only 0.5 dioptre worse than the minimum standard for airline pilots.

Over 10 dipotres is classed as requiring 'complex' lenses, for which I
got free eye tests, even before I qualified by age, and IIRC £12.50
towards the cost of a new pair of glasses.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

robgraham wrote:
[...]

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar "cpb"@" wrote:

Over 10 dipotres is classed as requiring 'complex' lenses, for which I
got free eye tests, even before I qualified by age, and IIRC £12.50
towards the cost of a new pair of glasses.

Close. It's currently £13.70. With my lenses costing £335 you wonder what's
the point in the NHS bothering with the admin.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grant wrote:
Nightjar "cpb"@" wrote:
Over 10 dipotres is classed as requiring 'complex' lenses, for which I
got free eye tests, even before I qualified by age, and IIRC £12.50
towards the cost of a new pair of glasses.

Close. It's currently £13.70. With my lenses costing £335 you wonder what's
the point in the NHS bothering with the admin.

My eyes have not changed much in the past five years, so my information
was bound to be a bit out of date. I have wondered in the past whether
the grant would be a significant part of the cost of bog standard lenses
in free frames, rather than the very high refractive index photochromic
plastic with anti-reflection coating that I choose.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Nightjar
\"cpb\"@" writes

robgraham wrote:
[...]

"Laydees aand Gentlemen -

put your hands together for the Grateful Dead"
--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"John" wrote in message

Anybody on the group that has contacts as well as specs try this for
close work. Put your lenses in and then put your specs on...crap
view across the room but hold your hand up approx 8 inches from your
face, you'll see lines on there you never thought you had!!!

4.5 dioptres of cylinder says I won't see my hands.

What about the 48" waist which says you can't see your todger ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Grant
writes
John wrote:
"dennis@home" wrote in message
4.5 dioptres of cylinder says I won't see my hands.

Mine are 4.75 (L) and 5.00 (R) and I can certainly see mine!

Pfft. -9.75 and -5.50 cyl.

"The UK.d-i-y newsgroup will, from now on, be transmitted in Braille
...."
--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message

Mine are 4.75 (L) and 5.00 (R) and I can certainly see mine!

Now double it by wearing contacts and lenses.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 May, 19:23, geoff wrote:
In message , Grant
writesJohn wrote:
"dennis@home" wrote in message
4.5 dioptres of cylinder says I won't see my hands.

Mine are 4.75 (L) and 5.00 (R) and I can certainly see mine!

Pfft. -9.75 and -5.50 cyl.

"The UK.d-i-y newsgroup will, from now on, be transmitted in Braille
..."
--
geoff

At least my wife will be able to read it out to me then - she works in
a school for the blind.
Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Grant
writes
Nightjar "cpb"@" wrote:

Over 10 dipotres is classed as requiring 'complex' lenses, for which I
got free eye tests, even before I qualified by age, and IIRC £12.50
towards the cost of a new pair of glasses.

Close. It's currently £13.70. With my lenses costing £335 you wonder what's
the point in the NHS bothering with the admin.

My guess is that it was introduced in 1948 when the NHS started, and
would have paid for a whole pair of ordinary glasses. It probably
hasn't been increased in a very long time.

--
Clive Page
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar "cpb"@" wrote:

I have wondered in the
past whether the grant would be a significant part of the cost of bog
standard lenses in free frames, rather than the very high refractive
index photochromic plastic with anti-reflection coating that I choose.

I have bog standard lenses (bar the tint) put in my sunglasses. The lens
width at the edge is probably 12mm or so. These lens still cost £125..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive Page wrote:
In message , Grant
writes
Nightjar "cpb"@" wrote:

Over 10 dipotres is classed as requiring 'complex' lenses, for which I
got free eye tests, even before I qualified by age, and IIRC £12.50
towards the cost of a new pair of glasses.

Close. It's currently £13.70. With my lenses costing £335 you wonder
what's
the point in the NHS bothering with the admin.

My guess is that it was introduced in 1948 when the NHS started, and
would have paid for a whole pair of ordinary glasses. It probably
hasn't been increased in a very long time.

It has increased over time. ISTR it being a little over a pound once,
very long ago. However, back then the NHS issued free glasses and I
suspect it reflects what those glasses would have cost the NHS,
increased by something less than inflation over the years.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Grant
writes
Nightjar "cpb"@" wrote:

Over 10 dipotres is classed as requiring 'complex' lenses, for which I
got free eye tests, even before I qualified by age, and IIRC £12.50
towards the cost of a new pair of glasses.

Close. It's currently £13.70. With my lenses costing £335 you wonder what's
the point in the NHS bothering with the admin.

£335?

You're buying from the wrong place then

Tinted, scratch resistant varifocals in memory metal frames here for
£100

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , Grant
writes
Nightjar "cpb"@" wrote:

Over 10 dipotres is classed as requiring 'complex' lenses, for which I
got free eye tests, even before I qualified by age, and IIRC £12.50
towards the cost of a new pair of glasses.

Close. It's currently £13.70. With my lenses costing £335 you wonder
what's
the point in the NHS bothering with the admin.

£335?

You're buying from the wrong place then

That is about right for complex lenses.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar "cpb"@ insertmysurnamehere wrote:
geoff wrote:
In message , Grant
writes
Nightjar "cpb"@" wrote:

Over 10 dipotres is classed as requiring 'complex' lenses, for which I
got free eye tests, even before I qualified by age, and IIRC £12.50
towards the cost of a new pair of glasses.

Close. It's currently £13.70. With my lenses costing £335 you wonder
what's
the point in the NHS bothering with the admin.

£335?

You're buying from the wrong place then

That is about right for complex lenses.

Colin Bignell

And the charge is to make sure people take at least some care of such
expensive beats. Free stuff gets abused, always.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
Nightjar "cpb"@ insertmysurnamehere wrote:
geoff wrote:
In message , Grant
writes
Nightjar "cpb"@" wrote:

Over 10 dipotres is classed as requiring 'complex' lenses, for which I
got free eye tests, even before I qualified by age, and IIRC £12.50
towards the cost of a new pair of glasses.

Close. It's currently £13.70. With my lenses costing £335 you
wonder what's
the point in the NHS bothering with the admin.

£335?

You're buying from the wrong place then

That is about right for complex lenses.
Colin Bignell

And the charge is to make sure people take at least some care of such
expensive beats. Free stuff gets abused, always.

Who's talking about free stuff?

I could abuse my glasses three times and still be in pocket

If I knew how one goes about abusing a pair of spectacles

I could swear at them and call them monocles or something ...

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:

£335?

You're buying from the wrong place then

Tinted, scratch resistant varifocals in memory metal frames here for
£100

If you can point me in the direction of 1.74 lenses for -0.25 sph -9.75 cyl
/ -3.25 sph -5.50 cyl that cost £100 a pair I'll happily pay £100 for the
info.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Grant
writes
geoff wrote:

£335?

You're buying from the wrong place then

Tinted, scratch resistant varifocals in memory metal frames here for
£100

If you can point me in the direction of 1.74 lenses for -0.25 sph -9.75 cyl
/ -3.25 sph -5.50 cyl that cost £100 a pair I'll happily pay £100 for the
info.

Http://www.opticianonline.net/Compan...cal+Co+Ltd.htm

You will probably have to visit so that they can measure your face

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

On 12/05/2010 22:07, Grant wrote:
geoff wrote:

�335?

You're buying from the wrong place then

Tinted, scratch resistant varifocals in memory metal frames here for
�100

If you can point me in the direction of 1.74 lenses for -0.25 sph -9.75 cyl
/ -3.25 sph -5.50 cyl that cost �100 a pair I'll happily pay �100 for the
info.

Does the price rise markedly with high cylinder values? I can certainly
see 1.74 lenses at £120 for reglaze with the spherical component you need.

--
Rod