Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Spectacles !

geoff wrote:
In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
Nightjar "cpb"@ insertmysurnamehere wrote:
geoff wrote:
In message , Grant
writes
Nightjar "cpb"@" wrote:

Over 10 dipotres is classed as requiring 'complex' lenses, for
which I
got free eye tests, even before I qualified by age, and IIRC £12.50
towards the cost of a new pair of glasses.

Close. It's currently £13.70. With my lenses costing £335 you
wonder what's
the point in the NHS bothering with the admin.

£335?

You're buying from the wrong place then
That is about right for complex lenses.
Colin Bignell

And the charge is to make sure people take at least some care of such
expensive beats. Free stuff gets abused, always.

Who's talking about free stuff?

I could abuse my glasses three times and still be in pocket

If I knew how one goes about abusing a pair of spectacles

I could swear at them and call them monocles or something ...

Try treading on them, or leaving them next to the fire..etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grant wrote:
geoff wrote:
£335?

You're buying from the wrong place then

Tinted, scratch resistant varifocals in memory metal frames here for
£100

If you can point me in the direction of 1.74 lenses for -0.25 sph -9.75 cyl
/ -3.25 sph -5.50 cyl that cost £100 a pair I'll happily pay £100 for the
info.

Blimey. Isn't it about time you wired a pair of videocams straight into
your nervous system?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 12 May 2010 20:51:07 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Nightjar "cpb"@ insertmysurnamehere wrote:
geoff wrote:
In message , Grant
writes
Nightjar "cpb"@" wrote:

Over 10 dipotres is classed as requiring 'complex' lenses, for which I
got free eye tests, even before I qualified by age, and IIRC £12.50
towards the cost of a new pair of glasses.

Close. It's currently £13.70. With my lenses costing £335 you wonder
what's
the point in the NHS bothering with the admin.

£335?

You're buying from the wrong place then

That is about right for complex lenses.

Colin Bignell

And the charge is to make sure people take at least some care of such
expensive beats. Free stuff gets abused, always.

Mine doesn't - I take care of free stuff, as it might cost to replace it.

Spent an hour repairing 2 pairs of ~3 year old specs that came from
Poundland or similar. If the time were costed...!
--
Peter.
2x4 - thick plank; 4x4 - two of 'em.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:

Does the price rise markedly with high cylinder values? I can
certainly see 1.74 lenses at £120 for reglaze with the spherical
component you need.

Sure does. Most places only go to -2.00 cyl. Some will do -6.00. The labs
who make them in -10 are in rocking horse **** territory.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Grant" wrote in message
Rod wrote:

Does the price rise markedly with high cylinder values? I can
certainly see 1.74 lenses at £120 for reglaze with the spherical
component you need.

Sure does. Most places only go to -2.00 cyl. Some will do -6.00. The labs
who make them in -10 are in rocking horse **** territory.

Even that place geoff suggested isn't cheap, or their internet trading arm
isn't.
They don't even list varifocals with cylinder, they do bi-focals and that's
about it.
A point to remember is that many labs only work to 5 degree steps on the
cylinder, I can see a 1 degree difference and I am happy to pay extra for
that precision.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/05/2010 22:07 Grant wrote:

If you can point me in the direction of 1.74 lenses for -0.25 sph -9.75 cyl
/ -3.25 sph -5.50 cyl that cost £100 a pair I'll happily pay £100 for the
info.

Don't know if they do them, but if anyone suggests spex4less, don't
bother. The email address I gave them has been leaked and I'm getting
spam to it now.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , geoff
writes
In message , Grant
writes
geoff wrote:

£335?

You're buying from the wrong place then

Tinted, scratch resistant varifocals in memory metal frames here for
£100

If you can point me in the direction of 1.74 lenses for -0.25 sph -9.75 cyl
/ -3.25 sph -5.50 cyl that cost £100 a pair I'll happily pay £100 for the
info.

Http://www.opticianonline.net/Compan...cal+Co+Ltd.htm

You will probably have to visit so that they can measure your face

Any use?

You are, of course, going to get better service if you go there in
person

When you buy glasses from an optician - this is one of the companies
that actually makes the lenses

ignore dennis, he's a pratt

--
geoff