Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Manufacturing our own spectacles?

You can buy reading specs at the dollar stores for...a buck. Better
quality at RiteAid for $10. Same as RitAid at Walgreens for $26.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

On Sun, 4 Jan 2009 11:13:21 -0000, "Derek"
wrote:

Manufacturing our own spectacles?

The price of lenses seems to have sky-rocketed
in recent years and it seems to me that we might
be well-paced to manufacture our own spectacles after
we are given a copy of the prescription.

We have cutting, grinding and polishing equipment
equipment, and given a supply of acetate sheet
could be well-placed to save ourselves a few shekels.

Perhaps those with XNX milling facilities would
find it even easier?

Checking the truth of what we produce should be
straighforward with the use of a laser pointer and
a protractor to check the angles of refraction.

Those equipped with Tool & Cutter Grinders will
already be in possession of necessary angular
calibrations!

As for the frames, are we not already expert in
producing miniature and rugged fabrications? Even
the clock and watchmakers among us will have the
necessary taps and dies for the hinges!

So, who has the necessary background to convert
prescription numbers into radii of curvature for
lenses?

Perhaps there are already CAM programs available
for this application? What do commercial opthamologists
use for this very purpose?

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"