Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fixing glasses (spectacles)

Hi,

Can anyone suggest the best type of glue to fix the arm of a pair of
metal framed glasses? One side arm has come away by the hinge point
but it is not the hinge that is broken. The arm has a small hole and
by the hinge there is a small pin which fits into the hole in the arm.

I've tried epoxy resin, but it only lasted a couple of weeks before
coming away again.

TIA, Mark.
--
(\__/) M.
See http://improve-usenet.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark wrote:

Hi,

Can anyone suggest the best type of glue to fix the arm of a pair of
metal framed glasses? One side arm has come away by the hinge point
but it is not the hinge that is broken. The arm has a small hole and
by the hinge there is a small pin which fits into the hole in the arm.

I've tried epoxy resin, but it only lasted a couple of weeks before
coming away again.

TIA, Mark.

Take them to your local friendly optician. He should be able to find a spare
arm off a scrap pair of spectacles. Mine did under similar circumstances.
Only cost me a small donation into the charity box!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 10:15:29 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Mark wrote:
Hi,

Can anyone suggest the best type of glue to fix the arm of a pair of
metal framed glasses? One side arm has come away by the hinge point
but it is not the hinge that is broken. The arm has a small hole and
by the hinge there is a small pin which fits into the hole in the arm.

I've tried epoxy resin, but it only lasted a couple of weeks before
coming away again.

TIA, Mark.

It is almost impossible to repair any metal to metal join with glue, to
match the origial metal strength.

Possibly the best is the sort of car body filler sold as JB weld or
liquid metal. Its better than commercial DIY epoxy, which needs a bit of
heat to cure well, and very careful mixing to do its best.

However what you probably need is a splint.,.glass or carbon fibre tape,
soaked in polyester resin or similar. Or a short lenght of carbon fibre
tube over the parts.

Thanks. I'll give this a go. (I think the break is too close to the
hinge for a splint to work though).

--
(\__/) M.
See http://improve-usenet.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 09:38:24 +0100, Mark wrote:

Can anyone suggest the best type of glue to fix the arm of a pair of
metal framed glasses?

I doubt you can glue it. Soft solder might work for a while but I think
you really need to off silver solder it. Or better take them to a proper
opticians and get a real repair done.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hi,

Can anyone suggest the best type of glue to fix the arm of a pair of
metal framed glasses? One side arm has come away by the hinge point
but it is not the hinge that is broken. The arm has a small hole and
by the hinge there is a small pin which fits into the hole in the arm.

I've tried epoxy resin, but it only lasted a couple of weeks before
coming away again.

I've not found a glue that can successfully repair spectacle arms - if
it works at all it doesn't last very long, and a slight knock to the
frames is usually enough to undo the repair.

Soft solder can work in some circumstances, where there's sufficient
surface area, but generally speaking it's a silver solder job.

Regards,

--
Steve ( out in the sticks )
Email: Take time to reply: timefrom_usenet{at}gmx.net

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark wrote:
Hi,

Can anyone suggest the best type of glue to fix the arm of a pair of
metal framed glasses? One side arm has come away by the hinge point
but it is not the hinge that is broken. The arm has a small hole and
by the hinge there is a small pin which fits into the hole in the arm.

I've tried epoxy resin, but it only lasted a couple of weeks before
coming away again.

TIA, Mark.

If you're anywhere near Darwen in Lancashire, take them to Rick
(www.eyefultower.co.uk). He often posts in here and uk.rec.cars.misc as "R D
S" and he's a good guy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 14:32:57 +0100, "John" wrote:

Mark wrote:
Hi,

Can anyone suggest the best type of glue to fix the arm of a pair of
metal framed glasses? One side arm has come away by the hinge point
but it is not the hinge that is broken. The arm has a small hole and
by the hinge there is a small pin which fits into the hole in the arm.

I've tried epoxy resin, but it only lasted a couple of weeks before
coming away again.

TIA, Mark.

If you're anywhere near Darwen in Lancashire, take them to Rick
(www.eyefultower.co.uk). He often posts in here and uk.rec.cars.misc as "R D
S" and he's a good guy.

Nowhere near Lancs, I'm afraid.

--
(\__/) M.
See http://improve-usenet.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 3, 8:38 pm, Mark wrote:
Hi,

Can anyone suggest the best type of glue to fix the arm of a pair of
metal framed glasses? One side arm has come away by the hinge point
but it is not the hinge that is broken. The arm has a small hole and
by the hinge there is a small pin which fits into the hole in the arm.

I've tried epoxy resin, but it only lasted a couple of weeks before
coming away again.

A bodgy repair that seem to last forever is to get some fine steel
wire, such as from a Twisty Tie with the plastic stripped off, and
wind that around the break, and use epoxy on that. Thread the wire
through any holes that are there.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matty F wrote:
On Oct 3, 8:38 pm, Mark wrote:
Hi,

Can anyone suggest the best type of glue to fix the arm of a pair of
metal framed glasses? One side arm has come away by the hinge point
but it is not the hinge that is broken. The arm has a small hole and
by the hinge there is a small pin which fits into the hole in the arm.

I've tried epoxy resin, but it only lasted a couple of weeks before
coming away again.

A bodgy repair that seem to last forever is to get some fine steel
wire, such as from a Twisty Tie with the plastic stripped off, and
wind that around the break, and use epoxy on that. Thread the wire
through any holes that are there.

Hi,
If you want to get your frames repaired have a look at this website
http://www.nfr.co.uk/

I have used them a few times, their service is good with repairs being
returned in a couple of days.

Regards

John Storey
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 3 Oct 2008 20:49:56 -0700 (PDT), Matty F
wrote:

On Oct 3, 8:38 pm, Mark wrote:
Hi,

Can anyone suggest the best type of glue to fix the arm of a pair of
metal framed glasses? One side arm has come away by the hinge point
but it is not the hinge that is broken. The arm has a small hole and
by the hinge there is a small pin which fits into the hole in the arm.

I've tried epoxy resin, but it only lasted a couple of weeks before
coming away again.

A bodgy repair that seem to last forever is to get some fine steel
wire, such as from a Twisty Tie with the plastic stripped off, and
wind that around the break, and use epoxy on that. Thread the wire
through any holes that are there.

Would a short piece of heatshrink tubing be able to be fitted to the
part needing secured . Anglers use very small bore stuff ..I have some
lengths if needed .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hi,

Can anyone suggest the best type of glue to fix the arm of a pair of
metal framed glasses? One side arm has come away by the hinge point
but it is not the hinge that is broken. The arm has a small hole and
by the hinge there is a small pin which fits into the hole in the arm.

I've tried epoxy resin, but it only lasted a couple of weeks before
coming away again.

TIA, Mark.

Any chance of getting a pic in closeup?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 14:03:44 +0100, Chewbacca

wrote:

Hi,

Can anyone suggest the best type of glue to fix the arm of a pair of
metal framed glasses? One side arm has come away by the hinge point
but it is not the hinge that is broken. The arm has a small hole and
by the hinge there is a small pin which fits into the hole in the arm.

I've tried epoxy resin, but it only lasted a couple of weeks before
coming away again.

TIA, Mark.

Any chance of getting a pic in closeup?

If they are just reading glasses Asda sometimes sells two pairs for £2
which look ok.

or
http://www.glassesdirect.co.uk/products/price:15-25/