Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nobody

Default Repairing spectacles frame.

Is it possible to just solder the parts together? My mum's have
broken - the metal frame around one of the lenses split apart where it
joins the brow (?) i.e. the bit that sits on the nose. Glueing has
failed.

TIA
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jeff

"Nobody" wrote in message
Is it possible to just solder the parts together? My mum's have
broken - the metal frame around one of the lenses split apart where it
joins the brow (?) i.e. the bit that sits on the nose. Glueing has
failed.

soldering will also fail - take them to a jewellers or maybe opticians and
get them silver soldered / brazed

Regards Jeff

Posted to uk.d-i-y
mike ring

Nobody wrote in
:

Is it possible to just solder the parts together? My mum's have
broken - the metal frame around one of the lenses split apart where it
joins the brow (?) i.e. the bit that sits on the nose. Glueing has
failed.

TIA

I have only soldered the screw bit, and there's a bit of meat there to get
on to.

I think it may be possible if you use a piece of wire as a bridge; you'll
need to clamp it during fixing or the lens will fall out, tin each side and
the bridge first and cross your fingers

Good luck

mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Nobody wrote:
Is it possible to just solder the parts together? My mum's have
broken - the metal frame around one of the lenses split apart where it
joins the brow (?) i.e. the bit that sits on the nose. Glueing has
failed.

Take it to a decent optician, who will be able to braze or
silver solder it - if you get the metal too hot, it'll
collapse, but you need to get it hot as ordinary solder is
unlikely to be any good.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nobody

On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 21:28:19 +0000, Chris Bacon
wrote:

Nobody wrote:
Is it possible to just solder the parts together? My mum's have
broken - the metal frame around one of the lenses split apart where it
joins the brow (?) i.e. the bit that sits on the nose. Glueing has
failed.

Take it to a decent optician, who will be able to braze or
silver solder it - if you get the metal too hot, it'll
collapse, but you need to get it hot as ordinary solder is
unlikely to be any good.

Thanks for the advice, the dear lady has now produced a spare pair
from out of the Tardis...oops, habdbag :-))

The other pair will get repaired as suggested (opticians).

Thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 20:54:44 +0000, Nobody
wrote:

| Is it possible to just solder the parts together? My mum's have
| broken - the metal frame around one of the lenses split apart where it
| joins the brow (?) i.e. the bit that sits on the nose. Glueing has
| failed.

All my attempts at repairing glasses have failed :-(
Opticians will reframe existing lenses, at quite low cost.
If your mother is an OAP retesting her eyes is free.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk Sick of Premium SMS scams,
SMS marketing, Direct marketing phone calls, Silent phone calls?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager

wrote:

Nobody wrote:
Is it possible to just solder the parts together? My mum's have
broken - the metal frame around one of the lenses split apart where it
joins the brow (?) i.e. the bit that sits on the nose. Glueing has
failed.

Take it to a decent optician, who will be able to braze or
silver solder it - if you get the metal too hot, it'll
collapse, but you need to get it hot as ordinary solder is
unlikely to be any good.

Thanks for the advice, the dear lady has now produced a spare pair
from out of the Tardis...oops, habdbag :-))

The other pair will get repaired as suggested (opticians).

Or a new pair:

http://www.glassesdirect.co.uk

starting at 17.50 including postage...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On 4 Dec 2005 10:04:41 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:

| On Sat, 3 Dec 2005 23:11:10 UTC, Nobody wrote:
|
| On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 21:28:19 +0000, Chris Bacon
| wrote:
|
| Nobody wrote:
| Is it possible to just solder the parts together? My mum's have
| broken - the metal frame around one of the lenses split apart where it
| joins the brow (?) i.e. the bit that sits on the nose. Glueing has
| failed.
|
| Take it to a decent optician, who will be able to braze or
| silver solder it - if you get the metal too hot, it'll
| collapse, but you need to get it hot as ordinary solder is
| unlikely to be any good.
|

| Thanks for the advice, the dear lady has now produced a spare pair
| from out of the Tardis...oops, habdbag :-))
|
| The other pair will get repaired as suggested (opticians).
|
| Or a new pair:
|
| http://www.glassesdirect.co.uk
|
| starting at 17.50 including postage...
^^^^^^^^

If only I could get my varifocals at that price :-(

Having first had her eyes tested at an optician.
Free if over 60

http://www.thepensionservice.gov.uk/atoz/home.asp
Eye tests: If you are aged 60 or over, you can have free eye tests

with the NHS.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk Sick of Premium SMS scams,
SMS marketing, Direct marketing phone calls, Silent phone calls?
Register with http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/
IME they work :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager

On Sun, 4 Dec 2005 10:23:57 UTC, Dave Fawthrop
wrote:

On 4 Dec 2005 10:04:41 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:
| On Sat, 3 Dec 2005 23:11:10 UTC, Nobody wrote:
|
| On Sat, 03 Dec 2005 21:28:19 +0000, Chris Bacon
| wrote:
|
| Nobody wrote:
| Is it possible to just solder the parts together? My mum's have
| broken - the metal frame around one of the lenses split apart where it
| joins the brow (?) i.e. the bit that sits on the nose. Glueing has
| failed.
|
| Take it to a decent optician, who will be able to braze or
| silver solder it - if you get the metal too hot, it'll
| collapse, but you need to get it hot as ordinary solder is
| unlikely to be any good.
|

| Thanks for the advice, the dear lady has now produced a spare pair
| from out of the Tardis...oops, habdbag :-))
|
| The other pair will get repaired as suggested (opticians).
|
| Or a new pair:
|
| http://www.glassesdirect.co.uk
|
| starting at 17.50 including postage...
^^^^^^^^

If only I could get my varifocals at that price :-(

Yes! Still, mere bifocals are only 20 quid more.

Having first had her eyes tested at an optician.

Of course. But I ignored that since it's a constant...