Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cleaning anti-glare spectacles

I am receiving conflicting information regarding the best way to clean
coated (anti-glare) spectacles without damaging the coating.

Presumably the cotton? lens cleaner supplied by the optician is ok - but if
this is not available will a soft paper tissue or linen handkerchief damage
the coating?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Malcolm H" wrote in message
I am receiving conflicting information regarding the best way to clean
coated (anti-glare) spectacles without damaging the coating.

Presumably the cotton? lens cleaner supplied by the optician is ok - but

if
this is not available will a soft paper tissue or linen handkerchief

damage
the coating?

Microfibre cloths are considered best, tissues are OK.
Hankies as long as they are clean and free from dust/grit are fine.
The vast majority of spectacle coatings are anti scratch as well as anti
reflection so unless you are wiping them with something obviously gritty or
potentially dirty you should be OK.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 14:26:11 GMT, Malcolm H wrote:

I am receiving conflicting information regarding the best way to clean
coated (anti-glare) spectacles without damaging the coating.

Presumably the cotton? lens cleaner supplied by the optician is ok - but if
this is not available will a soft paper tissue or linen handkerchief damage
the coating?

When mine are really dirty I run them under a cold tap with a bit of soap on
my fingers. Then dry on a clean handkerchief or even a face towel. Ordinary
tissue can scratch. However if you have had anti-glare, you probably had
anti-scratch too.
Try NOT to use sandpaper or steel wool.
But most of all don't put them down on their lenses.
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMC TMC is offline

"Malcolm H" wrote in message
I am receiving conflicting information regarding the best way to clean
coated (anti-glare) spectacles without damaging the coating.

Presumably the cotton? lens cleaner supplied by the optician is ok - but
if this is not available will a soft paper tissue or linen handkerchief
damage the coating?
My optician says warm soapy water and dry with a clean soft cloth

I have also used the antiseptic skin wipes used in hospitals but only
because they were to hand at the time

Tony

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 14:54:27 GMT, Jim S wrote:

When mine are really dirty I run them under a cold tap with a bit of
soap on my fingers.

I only ever clean my glasses with detergent (liquid hand "soap"), hot
water and my fingers. I find real soap leaves a residue. I dry and polish
them with a bit of kitchen roll.

Unless you very regulary wash any non-disposable cloth, you'll rapidly end
up making the lenes dirty from the cloth... Easyier to use something soft
and disposable.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 14:26:11 UTC, "Malcolm H"
wrote:

I am receiving conflicting information regarding the best way to clean
coated (anti-glare) spectacles without damaging the coating.

Presumably the cotton? lens cleaner supplied by the optician is ok - but if
this is not available will a soft paper tissue or linen handkerchief damage
the coating?

Ultrasonic cleaner? (see recent thread)

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Malcolm H" wrote in message
I am receiving conflicting information regarding the best way to clean
coated (anti-glare) spectacles without damaging the coating.

Presumably the cotton? lens cleaner supplied by the optician is ok - but
if this is not available will a soft paper tissue or linen handkerchief
damage the coating?

I've used linen handkerchiefs for decades without any problems, but I carry
them only to clean glasses with. Occasionally, of a morning, the tail of the
shirt I am putting on will be used instead.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

When mine are really dirty

Which is every evening when I sit down to watch a bit of telly

I run them under a cold tap with a bit of
soap on my fingers.

I only ever clean my glasses with detergent (liquid hand "soap"), hot
water and my fingers. I find real soap leaves a residue. I dry and
polish them with a bit of kitchen roll.

I was warned by my supplier (specs maker, not an optician) that some
kitchen rolls could scratch, tho I think the risk is small.

He recommended tissues (gesundheit) for finishing.

mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 14:54:27 GMT, Jim S wrote:

On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 14:26:11 GMT, Malcolm H wrote:

I am receiving conflicting information regarding the best way to clean
coated (anti-glare) spectacles without damaging the coating.

Presumably the cotton? lens cleaner supplied by the optician is ok - but if
this is not available will a soft paper tissue or linen handkerchief damage
the coating?

When mine are really dirty I run them under a cold tap with a bit of soap on
my fingers. Then dry on a clean handkerchief or even a face towel. Ordinary
tissue can scratch. However if you have had anti-glare, you probably had
anti-scratch too.
Try NOT to use sandpaper or steel wool.
But most of all don't put them down on their lenses.

And it wears off too after a few years.
I helped it along using a cheap tissue when I forgot my lens cleaning
cloth. I've not left the house without one since though.
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
Or get it delivered for free
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Malcolm H wrote:
I am receiving conflicting information regarding the best way to clean
coated (anti-glare) spectacles without damaging the coating.

Presumably the cotton? lens cleaner supplied by the optician is ok -
but if this is not available will a soft paper tissue or linen
handkerchief damage the coating?

Malcolm,

I have used monitor screen wipes and liquid screen cleaner for years and
whenever there's a special offer on these at the local Aldi store, I buy a
couple of each and they last quite some time - they also save me cash as
well because after cleaning the specs I do the monitor :-)

I've used these on varifocal 'tinted' glasses - both plastic and glass - and
on the Polariod anti-glare clip-on plastic glasses that I use throughout the
year.

Brian G

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Aug 2007 18:17:49 GMT, mike wrote:

When mine are really dirty

Which is every evening when I sit down to watch a bit of telly

In my case every morning, unless it's a very bad morning.

I was warned by my supplier (specs maker, not an optician) that some
kitchen rolls could scratch, tho I think the risk is small.

He recommended tissues (gesundheit) for finishing.

When I have a cold my nose tells me that tissues, as in box, tissue, nose
for the use of, are harder and more abrasive than kitchen roll (Tesco
Value). Toilet roll falls apart with the drops of water on the lenes and
is more abrasive than tissues according to the nose test.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

He recommended tissues (gesundheit) for finishing.

When I have a cold my nose tells me that tissues, as in box, tissue,
nose for the use of, are harder and more abrasive than kitchen roll
(Tesco Value). Toilet roll falls apart with the drops of water on the
lenes and is more abrasive than tissues according to the nose test.

Well, it's a matter for debate/experiment, but I think you might want to
upgrade in the toilet roll dept.

I don't use Jeyes any more

mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 22:22:52 UTC, mike wrote:

He recommended tissues (gesundheit) for finishing.

When I have a cold my nose tells me that tissues, as in box, tissue,
nose for the use of, are harder and more abrasive than kitchen roll
(Tesco Value). Toilet roll falls apart with the drops of water on the
lenes and is more abrasive than tissues according to the nose test.

Well, it's a matter for debate/experiment, but I think you might want to
upgrade in the toilet roll dept.

I don't use Jeyes any more

Izal was worse.

(Saw no response to my ultrasonic cleaner suggestion; perhaps the OP
thought I was joking. 20 quid is cheap compared to a lot of specs)

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:
On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 22:22:52 UTC, mike wrote:

He recommended tissues (gesundheit) for finishing.

When I have a cold my nose tells me that tissues, as in box, tissue,
nose for the use of, are harder and more abrasive than kitchen roll
(Tesco Value). Toilet roll falls apart with the drops of water on
the lenes and is more abrasive than tissues according to the nose
test.

Well, it's a matter for debate/experiment, but I think you might
want to upgrade in the toilet roll dept.

I don't use Jeyes any more

Izal was worse.

(Saw no response to my ultrasonic cleaner suggestion; perhaps the OP
thought I was joking. 20 quid is cheap compared to a lot of specs)

Totally agree, though I use liquid hand soap these days under hot water
so that they are almost dry by the time I have dried my hands and then
lightly use a single leaf of bog roll to absorb the remaining water.
Vision restored! With to date, after many years, no problems to the
lenses, (plastic with all the go faster stripes)!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Malcolm H" wrote in message
I am receiving conflicting information regarding the best way to clean
coated (anti-glare) spectacles without damaging the coating.

Presumably the cotton? lens cleaner supplied by the optician is ok - but
if this is not available will a soft paper tissue or linen handkerchief
damage the coating?

Thank you everyone for all your helpful responses...

Malcolm H

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 22:22:52 UTC, mike wrote:

He recommended tissues (gesundheit) for finishing.

When I have a cold my nose tells me that tissues, as in box, tissue,
nose for the use of, are harder and more abrasive than kitchen roll
(Tesco Value). Toilet roll falls apart with the drops of water on the
lenes and is more abrasive than tissues according to the nose test.

Well, it's a matter for debate/experiment, but I think you might want to
upgrade in the toilet roll dept.

I don't use Jeyes any more

Izal was worse.

(Saw no response to my ultrasonic cleaner suggestion; perhaps the OP
thought I was joking. 20 quid is cheap compared to a lot of specs)

Sledgehammer to crack a nut?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mike" wrote in message

He recommended tissues (gesundheit) for finishing.

When I have a cold my nose tells me that tissues, as in box, tissue,
nose for the use of, are harder and more abrasive than kitchen roll
(Tesco Value). Toilet roll falls apart with the drops of water on the
lenes and is more abrasive than tissues according to the nose test.

Well, it's a matter for debate/experiment, but I think you might want to
upgrade in the toilet roll dept.

Indeed, if it is scratching plastic.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 3 Aug 2007 07:44:06 UTC, "R D S" wrote:

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 22:22:52 UTC, mike wrote:

He recommended tissues (gesundheit) for finishing.

When I have a cold my nose tells me that tissues, as in box, tissue,
nose for the use of, are harder and more abrasive than kitchen roll
(Tesco Value). Toilet roll falls apart with the drops of water on the
lenes and is more abrasive than tissues according to the nose test.

Well, it's a matter for debate/experiment, but I think you might want to
upgrade in the toilet roll dept.

I don't use Jeyes any more

Izal was worse.

(Saw no response to my ultrasonic cleaner suggestion; perhaps the OP
thought I was joking. 20 quid is cheap compared to a lot of specs)

Sledgehammer to crack a nut?

Not really. It's not as if it can't be used for lots of other things.

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I don't use Jeyes any more

Izal was worse.

Yup, I couldn't recomember the brand; now my bum goes two bob half a crown
at the memory.....

(Saw no response to my ultrasonic cleaner suggestion; perhaps the OP
thought I was joking. 20 quid is cheap compared to a lot of specs)

Could be because I for one (and maybe all), haven't seen the post - care to
repost?

mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , R D S
writes

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 22:22:52 UTC, mike wrote:

He recommended tissues (gesundheit) for finishing.

When I have a cold my nose tells me that tissues, as in box, tissue,
nose for the use of, are harder and more abrasive than kitchen roll
(Tesco Value). Toilet roll falls apart with the drops of water on the
lenes and is more abrasive than tissues according to the nose test.

Well, it's a matter for debate/experiment, but I think you might want to
upgrade in the toilet roll dept.

I don't use Jeyes any more

Izal was worse.

(Saw no response to my ultrasonic cleaner suggestion; perhaps the OP
thought I was joking. 20 quid is cheap compared to a lot of specs)

Sledgehammer to crack a nut?

Of course not - it's a serious tool (to show off to guests etc)

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" wrote in
:

I just said:

"Ultrasonic cleaner? (see recent thread)"

Anther thread??

Recent? RECENT???

22nd July????

How long do you think I cna keep things in my me me mee, Jeff?

NURSE!!!!

mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 3 Aug 2007 19:25:34 UTC, mike wrote:

"Bob Eager" wrote in
:

I just said:

"Ultrasonic cleaner? (see recent thread)"

Anther thread??

Recent? RECENT???

22nd July????

How long do you think I cna keep things in my me me mee, Jeff?

To me, it's almost just a moment ago! Take a look at this to see my
overall timescale...

http://tinyurl.com/36d9cr
http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Aug 2007 22:22:52 GMT, mike wrote:

When I have a cold my nose tells me that tissues, as in box, tissue,
nose for the use of, are harder and more abrasive than kitchen roll
(Tesco Value). Toilet roll falls apart with the drops of water on the
lenes and is more abrasive than tissues according to the nose test.

Well, it's a matter for debate/experiment, but I think you might want to
upgrade in the toilet roll dept.

There speaks a man who has not used loo roll on a regular basis to blow
his nose when suffing from the common cold.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" wrote in news:176uZD2KcidF-pn2-Ljml0FXEdz05
@rikki.tavi.co.uk:

http://tinyurl.com/36d9cr

Gordon Bennett!!

mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 4 Aug 2007 08:32:04 UTC, mike wrote:

"Bob Eager" wrote in news:176uZD2KcidF-pn2-Ljml0FXEdz05
@rikki.tavi.co.uk:

http://tinyurl.com/36d9cr

Gordon Bennett!!

There were earlier ones, but they pre-date the Deja News archive....!

http://www.diybanter.com