Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default PVC solvent weld. Difficult to undo??

I feel a real numpty having got my angles slightly wrong when sticking
together several pieces of PVC 68mm pipe and connectors. These pieces
connect from the gutter and feed the rainwater in to a bespoke 5x4
inch GRP downpipe which cost quite a lot.

Question .... is it impossible to undo such connections ie does the
solvent totally fuse the two contact areas together. Does applying
heat make it easier?

VT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6 May, 18:42, Vet Tech wrote:
I feel a real numpty having got my angles slightly wrong when sticking
together several pieces of PVC 68mm pipe and connectors. These pieces
connect from the gutter and feed the rainwater in to a bespoke 5x4
inch GRP downpipe which cost quite a lot.

Question .... is it impossible to undo such connections ie does the
solvent totally fuse the two contact areas together. Does applying
heat make it easier?

VT

if done right - you made a solid piece of plastic, no second chances.

(Whilst your GRP bits might cost a bit - extra solvent weld fittings
and bits of pipe shouldn't?)

JimK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

if done right - you made a solid piece of plastic, no second chances.

Yup - yur stuffed. I've dissected a joint to check the quality of the
bond, and no chance.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Vet Tech wrote:
I feel a real numpty having got my angles slightly wrong when sticking
together several pieces of PVC 68mm pipe and connectors. These pieces
connect from the gutter and feed the rainwater in to a bespoke 5x4
inch GRP downpipe which cost quite a lot.

Question .... is it impossible to undo such connections ie does the
solvent totally fuse the two contact areas together. Does applying
heat make it easier?

If you've done it correctly, it becomes like one bit of plastic. So no
chance at all of disassembling it.

--
*A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vet Tech wrote:
I feel a real numpty having got my angles slightly wrong when sticking
together several pieces of PVC 68mm pipe and connectors. These pieces
connect from the gutter and feed the rainwater in to a bespoke 5x4
inch GRP downpipe which cost quite a lot.

You shouldn't stick connectors, makes them impossible to take apart if they
become blocked.

Question .... is it impossible to undo such connections ie does the
solvent totally fuse the two contact areas together. Does applying
heat make it easier?

No chance I'm afraid.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

After serious thinking Vet Tech wrote :
Question .... is it impossible to undo such connections ie does the
solvent totally fuse the two contact areas together. Does applying
heat make it easier?

I once did that and no, they will not came apart again, however...

You might be able to cut off the cheaper part and using a grinder or
Dremel grind away they surplus plastic from the expensive part.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
Vet Tech wrote:
I feel a real numpty having got my angles slightly wrong when sticking
together several pieces of PVC 68mm pipe and connectors. These pieces
connect from the gutter and feed the rainwater in to a bespoke 5x4
inch GRP downpipe which cost quite a lot.

You shouldn't stick connectors, makes them impossible to take apart if
they become blocked.

Dave - The Medway Handyman

Good point: The wall brackets hold the pipe tight and you just remove one
screw to slide the pipe up and down when cleaning the leaves out of the
diverter hopper (In which you also want a strainer to keep them from going
any further down.)

Plastic gutters quite often need minor adjustments as they move with the
summer heat and winter cold too, and having some adjustability at the
downpipes can come in handy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vet Tech wrote:
I feel a real numpty having got my angles slightly wrong when
sticking together several pieces of PVC 68mm pipe and connectors.
These pieces connect from the gutter and feed the rainwater in to a
bespoke 5x4 inch GRP downpipe which cost quite a lot.

You shouldn't stick connectors, makes them impossible to take apart
if they become blocked.

Dave - The Medway Handyman

Good point: The wall brackets hold the pipe tight and you just remove
one screw to slide the pipe up and down when cleaning the leaves out
of the diverter hopper (In which you also want a strainer to keep
them from going any further down.)

Plastic gutters quite often need minor adjustments as they move with
the summer heat and winter cold too, and having some adjustability at
the downpipes can come in handy.

The plastic gutter at the local Uni accommodation blocks - very long
lengths - used to make really loud noises on hot days as it expanded, much
to the annoyance of hung over students in the top floor flats :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 7, 5:42 am, Vet Tech wrote:
I feel a real numpty having got my angles slightly wrong when sticking
together several pieces of PVC 68mm pipe and connectors. These pieces
connect from the gutter and feed the rainwater in to a bespoke 5x4
inch GRP downpipe which cost quite a lot.

Question .... is it impossible to undo such connections ie does the
solvent totally fuse the two contact areas together. Does applying
heat make it easier?

I have several times cut the pipe above the expensive bit and used a
keyhole saw to cut a slot in the bit of pipe that's left. Lever up one
side of the slot and use vice grips to peel the rest of the pipe out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Matty F writes:
On May 7, 5:42 am, Vet Tech wrote:
I feel a real numpty having got my angles slightly wrong when sticking
together several pieces of PVC 68mm pipe and connectors. These pieces
connect from the gutter and feed the rainwater in to a bespoke 5x4
inch GRP downpipe which cost quite a lot.

Question .... is it impossible to undo such connections ie does the
solvent totally fuse the two contact areas together. Does applying
heat make it easier?

I have several times cut the pipe above the expensive bit and used a
keyhole saw to cut a slot in the bit of pipe that's left. Lever up one
side of the slot and use vice grips to peel the rest of the pipe out.

If the pipe is ABS (as it often is, because ABS is cheaper), then you
stand a chance of doing this because ABS doesn't solvent weld quite so
well to PVC.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Solvent weld - how long should it last? David WE Roberts UK diy 25 November 9th 09 08:27 PM
solvent weld bends Fred UK diy 5 August 16th 09 09:18 PM
Solvent weld is solvent weld, right? Pete Verdon UK diy 23 August 12th 09 06:21 PM
Solvent weld pipe ? Arfa Daily UK diy 13 June 4th 08 02:09 AM
Solvent Weld Joint Re-use Mark Trueman UK diy 16 May 17th 05 02:56 PM