Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tile saw vs score 'n snap

Treated myself to the SF Titan tile saw to do the kitchen, and I have to
say I'm disappointed. The blade that comes with it produced a ragged cut
and seemed to take forever to cut basic 6mm ceramic tiles. On thicker
tiles the thing would drive you crazy I'm sure. Mind you, it made this
round socket cut possible

so I suppose I should be thankful.

Surprisingly I was able to cut 30 odd 10mm strips on the snapper, which
was the job I originally had in mind for it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble
wibbled on Monday 26 April 2010 18:20

Treated myself to the SF Titan tile saw to do the kitchen, and I have to
say I'm disappointed. The blade that comes with it produced a ragged cut
and seemed to take forever to cut basic 6mm ceramic tiles. On thicker
tiles the thing would drive you crazy I'm sure. Mind you, it made this
round socket cut possible

so I suppose I should be thankful.

Surprisingly I was able to cut 30 odd 10mm strips on the snapper, which
was the job I originally had in mind for it.

I found with the cheaper tiles saws (I forget what mine is - might be Titan)
that I had to pull slightly sideways on the tile to ease it off the blade.
TBF I have top do that with my mitre saw when I want a splinter free
perfect cut on some veneered wood.

Perhaps a better blade? Rumour has it that could make a difference.

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
stuart noble
wibbled on Monday 26 April 2010 18:20

Treated myself to the SF Titan tile saw to do the kitchen, and I have to
say I'm disappointed. The blade that comes with it produced a ragged cut
and seemed to take forever to cut basic 6mm ceramic tiles. On thicker
tiles the thing would drive you crazy I'm sure. Mind you, it made this
round socket cut possible

so I suppose I should be thankful.

Surprisingly I was able to cut 30 odd 10mm strips on the snapper, which
was the job I originally had in mind for it.

I found with the cheaper tiles saws (I forget what mine is - might be Titan)
that I had to pull slightly sideways on the tile to ease it off the blade.
TBF I have top do that with my mitre saw when I want a splinter free
perfect cut on some veneered wood.

Perhaps a better blade? Rumour has it that could make a difference.

Makes sense.
It'll do me for the odd cut. I just wouldn't want anyone to think you
could use it for much else.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
stuart noble wrote:
It'll do me for the odd cut. I just wouldn't want anyone to think you
could use it for much else.

I tiled a whole large bathroom with 8mm porcelain tiles - all cut where
necessary with my Plasplugs. Something very wrong with yours. I know
they're not as fast as score and split - but with the cost of these tiles
I'd rather have the accuracy and clean cuts. I've even cut concrete paving
slabs with it. So thick I had to turn them over - it would only go through
about half way on each pass.

--
*Before they invented drawing boards, what did they go back to?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
stuart noble wrote:
It'll do me for the odd cut. I just wouldn't want anyone to think you
could use it for much else.

I tiled a whole large bathroom with 8mm porcelain tiles - all cut where
necessary with my Plasplugs. Something very wrong with yours. I know
they're not as fast as score and split - but with the cost of these tiles
I'd rather have the accuracy and clean cuts. I've even cut concrete paving
slabs with it. So thick I had to turn them over - it would only go through
about half way on each pass.

I've cut slabs that way with a mini grinder without noticing that it was
particularly slow.
I'll have another look later on. My hunch is that the blade supplied
with it isn't good enough.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
stuart noble wrote:
I tiled a whole large bathroom with 8mm porcelain tiles - all cut
where necessary with my Plasplugs. Something very wrong with yours. I
know they're not as fast as score and split - but with the cost of
these tiles I'd rather have the accuracy and clean cuts. I've even cut
concrete paving slabs with it. So thick I had to turn them over - it
would only go through about half way on each pass.

I've cut slabs that way with a mini grinder without noticing that it was
particularly slow.
I'll have another look later on. My hunch is that the blade supplied
with it isn't good enough.

The finish of the cut was worlds apart with the wet cutter, though. Almost
like a polished finish. Not that it mattered in this case.

--
*When a clock is hungry it goes back four seconds*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
stuart noble wrote:
Treated myself to the SF Titan tile saw to do the kitchen, and I have to
say I'm disappointed. The blade that comes with it produced a ragged cut
and seemed to take forever to cut basic 6mm ceramic tiles. On thicker
tiles the thing would drive you crazy I'm sure. Mind you, it made this
round socket cut possible

I've had three Plasplug ones - moving up the range - and even the basic
one cut basic tiles with ease. Porcelain ones are a different matter.
Perhaps the supplied blade is poor.

--
*El nino made me do it

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 26, 6:20*pm, stuart noble wrote:
Treated myself to the SF Titan tile saw to do the kitchen, and I have to
say I'm disappointed. The blade that comes with it produced a ragged cut
and seemed to take forever to cut basic 6mm ceramic tiles. On thicker
tiles the thing would drive you crazy I'm sure. Mind you, it made this
round socket cut possible

so I suppose I should be thankful.

Surprisingly I was able to cut 30 odd 10mm strips on the snapper, which
was the job I originally had in mind for it.

I had no such problem with Erbauer. Maybe in the current climate you
could press for a refund, since it wasnt suitable for the job.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"stuart noble" wrote in message
news
Treated myself to the SF Titan tile saw to do the kitchen, and I have to
say I'm disappointed. The blade that comes with it produced a ragged cut
and seemed to take forever to cut basic 6mm ceramic tiles. On thicker
tiles the thing would drive you crazy I'm sure. Mind you, it made this
round socket cut possible

so I suppose I should be thankful.

Surprisingly I was able to cut 30 odd 10mm strips on the snapper, which
was the job I originally had in mind for it.

Not sure if you are talking about electric or manual, but it is surprising
how the snap type seem to be so expensive compared with the electric saws.
However, one thing not to do is to believe those orange plastic 'hacksaw'
type things they sell as tile saws. I bought one as I only had one tile
that needed a square cut out of a corner, but the blade bent double in the
plastic mounting instead of cutting. However, then I remembered I already
had an abrafile blade for my ordinary hacksaw, and this did the job just
fine.

I've also watched people cutting tiles with an electric saw, in huge clouds
of dust, and wondered how long they were likely to live if they made a habit
of it! (Mind you, I'm hopeless with snapping tiles - or glass - so I let
them get on with it.)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

spamlet wrote:
[...]

Tile saws have a water reservoir, so at least dust isn't an issue.
The Titan has rave reviews on the SF site, so I guess it must be me
expecting too much. What puzzles me is why it has such a large blade if
it struggles with 6mm.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

spamlet wrote:
[...]

I suppose there are blades and blades depending on how much actual diamond
grit they contain. And the bigger they are the more work the motor has to
do, so if yours isn't performing up to the rave reviews perhaps the windings
aren't right and you should ask for a replacement. SF have been quite good
at replacing stuff for me in the past when it hasn't lived up to the
description. (I had a nice old fashioned cross cut saw with nice big blade,
but I think it had originally been intended for three phase, and on ordinary
240v it just never had the guts to handle the big blade, so sadly it went
for scrap in the end.)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 18:20:19 +0100, stuart noble wrote:

Treated myself to the SF Titan tile saw to do the kitchen,

SF = Screw Fix? They list two Titan tile saws. One "table top" and
looking very similar to my Plasplugs one. The other a sliding head
above a table on legs.

The blade that comes with it produced a ragged cut and seemed to take
forever to cut basic 6mm ceramic tiles.

My plasplugs will make hard work of cutting a tile if the fence is
not correctly aligned with the blade, a small fraction of a mm out
and the back edge has to cut through tile as well. This dramatically
increases the force required to feed the tile and will tend to
produce a ragged cut.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 18:20:19 +0100, stuart noble wrote:

Treated myself to the SF Titan tile saw to do the kitchen,

SF = Screw Fix? They list two Titan tile saws. One "table top" and
looking very similar to my Plasplugs one. The other a sliding head
above a table on legs.

The blade that comes with it produced a ragged cut and seemed to take
forever to cut basic 6mm ceramic tiles.

My plasplugs will make hard work of cutting a tile if the fence is
not correctly aligned with the blade, a small fraction of a mm out
and the back edge has to cut through tile as well. This dramatically
increases the force required to feed the tile and will tend to
produce a ragged cut.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Agreed, I had to fettle my Screwfix one for this reason. But even cuts
quarry tiles OK with the supplied blade. I wouldn't use anything else.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 18:20:19 +0100, stuart noble wrote:

Treated myself to the SF Titan tile saw to do the kitchen,

SF = Screw Fix? They list two Titan tile saws. One "table top" and
looking very similar to my Plasplugs one. The other a sliding head
above a table on legs.

The blade that comes with it produced a ragged cut and seemed to take
forever to cut basic 6mm ceramic tiles.

My plasplugs will make hard work of cutting a tile if the fence is
not correctly aligned with the blade, a small fraction of a mm out
and the back edge has to cut through tile as well. This dramatically
increases the force required to feed the tile and will tend to
produce a ragged cut.

Yes, I could see that coming, so I didn't bother with the fence.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 18:20:19 +0100, stuart noble wrote:

Treated myself to the SF Titan tile saw to do the kitchen, and I have to
say I'm disappointed. The blade that comes with it produced a ragged cut
and seemed to take forever to cut basic 6mm ceramic tiles. On thicker
tiles the thing would drive you crazy I'm sure.

Hmm, treated myself to an el-cheapo tile saw (QEP, whoever the heck they
are) a couple of weeks ago, too, just for light duty work - it only cost
the equivalent of about 40 quid, so it seemed worth the risk. For the
price, it turns out that it's actually not too bad - makes nice clean
cuts, and does them quickly.

Main downsides are that the rip fence is just a plastic-fantastic crap
bar which snaps into place (I can't see the clips lasting long), and that
the blade guard fouls the cover for the blade's water bath - meaning that
it has to be completely removed every time I open the cover to check/add
more water. Maybe I'll motivate myself to make a new rip fence and modify
the mounting point for the blade guard so it's not stupid, but for the
amount of use it'll get I can possibly live with it...

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 Apr, 18:20, stuart noble wrote:
Treated myself to the SF Titan tile saw to do the kitchen, and I have to
say I'm disappointed.

That's why everyone who has used a number of different tilesaws
recommends the cheap plastic Plasplugs ones, not the shiny steel top
versions in the sheds

Snap Ring Barbara Devaney Home Repair 11 October 2nd 13 03:04 PM
Snap-On Paint Ignoramus10026 Metalworking 31 May 6th 08 11:13 AM
Which kind of snap pin is this? wrace Metalworking 2 February 21st 06 01:56 AM
Why do you buy Snap-on tools? Bray Haven Metalworking 7 November 10th 03 04:39 PM