Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electric shower Q

Is it ok to leave an instant electric shower switched on at the unit itself
and use the isolator to turn it on and off? Will it do any harm, I mean?

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:
Is it ok to leave an instant electric shower switched on at the unit itself
and use the isolator to turn it on and off? Will it do any harm, I mean?

Si

Some do have a built in cool down cycle, so will scale up if you just
turn the mains off..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"James Salisbury" nntp.dsl.pipex.com wrote in message
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:
Is it ok to leave an instant electric shower switched on at the unit
itself and use the isolator to turn it on and off? Will it do any harm, I
mean?

What is your thinking behind the question? Is there a problem with the
switch?

I have often thought that using the isolator other than for servicing should
be unnecessary - also they are so clunky that you are liable to pull down
the ceiling if they are cord operated.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Some do have a built in cool down cycle, so will scale up if you just turn
the mains off..

Not only scale up - the residual heat - if not "washed away" will eventually
damage the electrics. (IMHO).

The ideal shut down on an electric shower must be to turn off the heat - and
run water through until cold.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:

Not only scale up - the residual heat - if not "washed away" will eventually
damage the electrics. (IMHO).

On Triton showers - the only make I can talk about with any knowledge
[1] - the on/off switch controls the solenoid water valve and the
elements are switched using microswitches operated by water pressure
(sensed at the inlet to the heating chamber). In this design therefore
there is no heat purging cycle and using the supply isolator for control
will do no harm at all [2].

Any unit which does do a heat purge will obviously have a noticeable
delay between switching off and the cessation of water flow - so it will
be easy to tell.

[1] And these comments might apply to certain of their models only.

[2] Provided that the isolator is suitable for on-load switching - which
will be the case for any type normally used in a domestic installation
(Table 53.2 in the 17th edition refers).

--
Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "John"
saying something like:

I have often thought that using the isolator other than for servicing should
be unnecessary - also they are so clunky that you are liable to pull down
the ceiling if they are cord operated.

If it's been installed by a cowboy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message

"James Salisbury" nntp.dsl.pipex.com wrote in message
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:
Is it ok to leave an instant electric shower switched on at the unit
itself and use the isolator to turn it on and off? Will it do any harm,
I mean?

What is your thinking behind the question? Is there a problem with the
switch?

I have often thought that using the isolator other than for servicing
should be unnecessary - also they are so clunky that you are liable to
pull down the ceiling if they are cord operated.

I eventually got round to replacing our elderly over-the-bath Triton with a
new one bought ages ago from Argos because it was cheap. At the time I
didn't notice the lack of a power button at the bottom of the unit that our
old one had. My 5' 0" missus, when using the shower to just wash her hair,
can't now reach the on/off switch because it's right at the top of the new
unit and has to get into the bath to turn it on! I came up with leaving the
shower switched on but turning it off with the pull-cord dp isolator (it is
clunky though, yes) so she can just turn that on and the shower will start.

The shower's nothing posh and when it's turned off in the normal fashion it
just switches off...

Si

ELECTRIC SHOWER BORN TO BE MILD UK diy 4 October 7th 06 10:00 PM
Electric shower Mr Harry UK diy 3 December 20th 04 07:28 PM
Electric shower not as hot as it used to be Glenn Proctor UK diy 12 November 17th 04 02:09 PM
Electric shower help please Broadback UK diy 4 February 24th 04 03:20 PM