Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default ELECTRIC SHOWER

Hi,

My sister has just 'phoned me saying that her electric shower would not
switch off. By which I mean the water would not stop flowing. Neither
switching the power button on the shower nor pulling the ceiling
mounted switch worked, the only way they could stop it was turning the
water of at the mains, (no stop-cock or isolation on shower supply
pipe). Could anyone please tell me what the problem could be. Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

BORN TO BE MILD wrote:
Hi,

My sister has just 'phoned me saying that her electric shower would not
switch off. By which I mean the water would not stop flowing. Neither
switching the power button on the shower nor pulling the ceiling
mounted switch worked, the only way they could stop it was turning the
water of at the mains, (no stop-cock or isolation on shower supply
pipe). Could anyone please tell me what the problem could be.

It sounds like it's broken.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message .com
from "BORN TO BE MILD" contains these words:

the only way they could stop it was turning the
water of at the mains,

I'd take the handle off, put in a penny and put the handset back on.
That'd take care of it for the time being - at least you'd be able to
get some water back on.

In fact, it'd be probably better to put the penny in the top end of the
hose, but there's a bigger chance of buggering up the shower by crossing
the threads or straining the fittings.

The solenoid valve in the shower unit has got stuck. They're not hard to
replace, and you should be able to get spares from
http://www.showerdoc.co.uk/index.html

While you're fixing it, fit a service valve!

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Guy King wrote:
The message .com
from "BORN TO BE MILD" contains these words:

the only way they could stop it was turning the
water of at the mains,

I'd take the handle off, put in a penny and put the handset back on.
That'd take care of it for the time being - at least you'd be able to
get some water back on.

In fact, it'd be probably better to put the penny in the top end of the
hose, but there's a bigger chance of buggering up the shower by crossing
the threads or straining the fittings.

The solenoid valve in the shower unit has got stuck. They're not hard to
replace, and you should be able to get spares from
http://www.showerdoc.co.uk/index.html

While you're fixing it, fit a service valve!

--
Skipweasel

Thank you, going over tomorrow to fit service valve(hooray what else
would you do on a sunday). Leaving the rest to a pro.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message .com
from "BORN TO BE MILD" contains these words:

Thank you, going over tomorrow to fit service valve(hooray what else
would you do on a sunday). Leaving the rest to a pro.

Fiting the spare is probably easier than fitting a service valve.

--
Skipweasel

Electric shower question Fred UK diy 4 June 18th 06 09:15 PM
Electric shower flat low pressure - options? JohnH UK diy 14 April 16th 05 09:47 AM
Electric Shower and burnt 30amp fuse gna03633 UK diy 28 September 25th 04 10:16 AM
Electric shower fed from water tank Tommy Gilchrist UK diy 4 September 4th 04 01:28 PM
Is my electric shower about to fail? BigWallop UK diy 2 July 5th 03 01:57 AM