Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Advice on circular fluorescents

Very high ceiling rooms (3.7 to 4.2m), so I really need wall lights
that will kick out a good light level (there will also be switched
lighting circuit, table lamps). Ceiling fittings would be too
inaccessible and the light would be lost up there - or would need very
long drop cables, which just wouldn't look right.

Tried a 28w 2-D fluorescent, still not enough light.

Finally I'm looking at G10Q circular fluorescents - these look very
promising.

These are available in 22w, 32w, 40w and I think 60w (seen the tubes,
but not the fittings in this size).

I've bought a Massive branded one from Screwfix this morning (a 32w
one) - and I'm very pleased with the bright, even light.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/68942/...FGA?ts=6150 9

(Model - Belinda - also branded as Philips Belinda I think)

Unlike other things I've looked at, the globe lights evenly, without
an outline of the tube behind.

However 2 not so good things - it has a slight flicker from the non-
electronic ballast - and the ballast runs pretty hot.

So 2 questions:

Do you know of an electronically ballasted G10Q fitting?

Can you suggest something with similar styling and high light levels
(and reasonable cost - I need quite a few)?

(I've also looked at T4 straight tube miniature fluorescents to use in
the kitchen - and these are excellent. Flicker-free electronic
ballasts, excellent light levels - and very reasonably priced from TLC
Direct)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
[...]

This uses a circular T5

http://www.hacel.net/pages/product-r...us-surface.php

Posted to uk.d-i-y

This uses a circular T5

http://www.hacel.net/pages/product-r...standing-lumin...

Hi - thanks - yes, I've just discovered the existence of circular T5
tubes.

I think T5's always have electronic ballasts?

Do you know of a ceiling/wall flush fitting that uses T5 tubes?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 12:22:46 +0100, "John"
wrote:

This uses a circular T5
http://www.hacel.net/pages/product-r...us-surface.php

Strangely beautiful, but unlikely to be cheap.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
wrote:

This uses a circular T5
http://www.hacel.net/pages/product-r...us-surface.php

Strangely beautiful, but unlikely to be cheap.

I thought so after seeing them in a National Trust Coffee Shop and tracking
down the maker - about £150 each.

Most other circular fittings seem to be left overs from the 1970's

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/68942/...rnal-Lighting/...

(Model - Belinda - also branded as Philips Belinda I think)

Unlike other things I've looked at, the globe lights evenly, without
an outline of the tube behind.

However 2 not so good things - it has a slight flicker from the non-
electronic ballast - and the ballast runs pretty hot.

So 2 questions:

Do you know of an electronically ballasted G10Q fitting?

Can you suggest something with similar styling and high light levels
(and reasonable cost - I need quite a few)?

(I've also looked at T4 straight tube miniature fluorescents to use in
the kitchen - and these are excellent. Flicker-free electronic
ballasts, excellent light levels - and very reasonably priced from TLC
Direct)

Light doesnt get lost if it comes from far up. What you get is a lot
less glare, which is good, and more evn light spread. If you have a
white ceilng then either uplighting or other lights mounted high up
can light the place well. Uplights have the big advantage that
relamping is easy. But stay away from the plaster uplighter type
things, as uplighters they could hardly be less suitable.

One other way to light high ceilngs is to run 4 cables down to suspend
a very big light fitting that throws all its light output upward. The
fitting is big enough to take any type of lighting, present or future,
and can be made as artistic as you like.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
" writes:
Very high ceiling rooms (3.7 to 4.2m), so I really need wall lights
that will kick out a good light level (there will also be switched
lighting circuit, table lamps). Ceiling fittings would be too
inaccessible and the light would be lost up there - or would need very
long drop cables, which just wouldn't look right.

What's the room used for?

Tried a 28w 2-D fluorescent, still not enough light.

Designers often under-run 2D lamps, because they sometimes want
the extended light source but not the full power. (I have a little
pile of 28W 2D electronic ballasts which run the tubes at 18W.)

Finally I'm looking at G10Q circular fluorescents - these look very
promising.

These are available in 22w, 32w, 40w and I think 60w (seen the tubes,
but not the fittings in this size).

I would not bet in that old range of tubes having a long life
in this era of EU banning light bulbs, because they are below
the efficiency which is likely to be chosen as the cut-off for
banning inefficient tubes. (Same is true of 2D, but at least
manufacturers seem to think it's worth producing variants which
do meet EU energy efficiency rules.)

Someone already mentioned T5 circular - those are the ones which
will survive longer term than the old circular range.

I've bought a Massive branded one from Screwfix this morning (a 32w
one) - and I'm very pleased with the bright, even light.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/68942/...FGA?ts=6150 9

(Model - Belinda - also branded as Philips Belinda I think)

Unlike other things I've looked at, the globe lights evenly, without
an outline of the tube behind.

However 2 not so good things - it has a slight flicker from the non-
electronic ballast - and the ballast runs pretty hot.

So 2 questions:

Do you know of an electronically ballasted G10Q fitting?

It's not impossible, but really G10Q is a technology from a couple
of generations before electronic ballasts.

Can you suggest something with similar styling and high light levels
(and reasonable cost - I need quite a few)?

(I've also looked at T4 straight tube miniature fluorescents to use in
the kitchen - and these are excellent. Flicker-free electronic
ballasts, excellent light levels - and very reasonably priced from TLC
Direct)

Just bear in mind T4 is not standardised, so if the manufacturer
stops producing tubes (as Omicron did), you are likely to have to
replace the fittings as other manufacturers tubes will be wrong
length.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

What's the room used for?

Whole house! It's a chapel conversion. Hence needing to hold down
costs on the large number of light fittings I need.

Thanks for the info on G10Q potentially being near end-of-life.

I've had a good hunt around for T5 circular fittings, and although the
tubes are common and reasonably priced - the few fittings I can find
are not far off £100 at the cheapest (and not in the style I want) -
versus £30 for a G10Q fitting. When that's x10 fittings just for
upstairs - that's beyond my budget.

I'm looking for plain circular bulkhead lights, to be used in
conjunction with large table lamps. So table lamps only for lower
light levels, or plus bulkheads for higher light levels. For a bunch
of reasons I won't go into here, ceiling pendants (or other ceiling
fittings) would be "difficult", hence me looking for a solution based
around circular fluorescents in wall-mounted, plain bulkhead fittings.

I've tried out the one I linked to earlier, and it's producing the
light effect I want - I'm really looking if there's a *better but the
same* alternative before I buy a bunch of them. The same fitting but
with a circular T5 in it would be ideal. I'm sure they'll come along
eventually, but I can't yet find anyone selling a cheap, basic fitting
in a plain style, with a T5 circular in it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 6, 6:49*pm, " wrote:
[...]

If circline is what you want, you can easily buy a handful of tubes to
run it for the next however many decades. Do get decent tubes though,
2700K - 3500K, not nasties like 4000K and up.

32/33w linear tube electronic ballasts exist, and would improve
efficiency and probably power output.

If you get the circline fitting theres nothing to stop you putting
another tube type & ballast in in the future.

NT

Bench Dog 10-019 ProCut Portable Circular Saw Crosscut Guide for All 8-1/4-Inch and Smaller Circular Saws [email protected] Metalworking 0 May 22nd 09 01:13 PM
Advice on circular saw blades Gogs UK diy 8 December 11th 05 01:41 AM
UK Circular Saws - Any Advice? cbjroms Woodworking 3 November 23rd 05 12:20 AM
Advice on circular saw Gogs UK diy 14 November 17th 05 11:11 AM
Circular Saw Safety Advice Eugene Woodworking 18 January 4th 05 08:32 PM