Gogs

Default Advice on circular saw

I am looking to buy a circular saw, I need to cut back some kitchen
units and cut laminate worktop.

What would be a good model to go for, it wont be used that often so not
looking to spend crazy money.

Is this one any good or do you need one with a bigger blade/deeper cut
ideally : http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=108072

Also I have seen TCT blades with 100teeth, is this what you would need
for cutting laminates to avoid chipping or will one with less teeth do.

Thanks

Gogs wrote:
I am looking to buy a circular saw, I need to cut back some kitchen
units and cut laminate worktop.

What would be a good model to go for, it wont be used that often so not
looking to spend crazy money.

Is this one any good or do you need one with a bigger blade/deeper cut
ideally : http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=108072

Also I have seen TCT blades with 100teeth, is this what you would need
for cutting laminates to avoid chipping or will one with less teeth do.

Thanks

if you dont mind a rough cut edge, any new circ will do, except the
power devil. If you want a nice clean cut you'll need something of good
quality, with a good blade fitted.

So the answer is: have you got a plane?

NT

Andy Dingley

On 14 Nov 2005 04:52:19 -0800, "Gogs"
wrote:

What would be a good model to go for, it wont be used that often so not
looking to spend crazy money.

Oh, just get anything. But change that blade ! Standard fitment is a
bad compromise that's little real good for any task.

For the best all-round "circular saw" then look at the Skil "Legend" or
"Classic". However they're not cheap and they're heavy too. What many
people (certainly myself) only ever use a circular saw for is ripping
big sheets of plywood down into small sheets of plywood we can then work
with on a bench. For this you don't need much power and lighter weight
is well worth having.

The bargain-bucket stuff is of course just that. As a "tenner for one
job" then it might do the trick, but it won't be lovely and it won't
last.
david lang

Gogs wrote:
I am looking to buy a circular saw, I need to cut back some kitchen
units and cut laminate worktop.

Is this one any good or do you need one with a bigger blade/deeper cut
ideally : http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=108072

That one would be fine, you won't go far wrong with a green Bosch for
domestic use, although cheaper machines would also work.

Also I have seen TCT blades with 100teeth, is this what you would need
for cutting laminates to avoid chipping or will one with less teeth
do.

For cutting kitchen units, presumably melamine coated chipboard & laminates,
you want the finest toothed blade you can get to fit the saw - 40 tooth +
IMO.

Google the group for advice on cutting worktops and make up one of these;
http://members.aol.com/woodmiser1/sawbd.htm

Dave

Gogs

I dont own a plane, I would expect a circular saw to give a pretty
decent cut, I can achieve this with a jigsaw but its way too slow.

What like is that Bosch one I put the link in for and what amount of
teeth are you looking at for a decent cut.

I have heard of people doing worktops with circulars and getting good
results, just by turning the workpiece over, using a blade with more
teeth than the one they give you with the saw and puting tape on the
surface.

This is what I want to achieve but not sure what size of saw is best
and what blade exactly.

Bob Eager

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 12:52:19 UTC, "Gogs"
wrote:

I am looking to buy a circular saw, I need to cut back some kitchen
units and cut laminate worktop.

What would be a good model to go for, it wont be used that often so not
looking to spend crazy money.

Is this one any good or do you need one with a bigger blade/deeper cut
ideally : http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=108072

That's the one I bought a few months ago...has the advantage of not
being too heavy, and is fine for cutting worktop (that's one of the
things I bought it for). I did change the blade, though....

Blades for that size seem to be more difficult to find, but I went to a
good local tool shop and got what I wanted.
Gogs

Hi there,

Thanks for that info, thats one of the things I am finding, was
searching for blades but not coming back with much in the way of 40
teeth and so on.

What blade did you get in the end, take it was actually made by Bosch
was it.

Is there a benefit using a larger saw when doing worktop or is it
better to have one that just cuts through it and not much more.

david lang

Gogs wrote:
Is there a benefit using a larger saw when doing worktop or is it
better to have one that just cuts through it and not much more.

The bigger the blade the faster the edge speed and generally the cleaner the
cut. You want to adjust it so that the 'gullet' of the teeth just clears.

Might be worth a trip to a B&Q Warehouse. They sell cheapish to expensive
saws and a wide variety of blades to fit them.

Dave

Chris Bacon

Gogs wrote:
Thanks for that info, thats one of the things I am finding, was
searching for blades but not coming back with much in the way of 40
teeth and so on.

What blade did you get in the end, take it was actually made by Bosch
was it.

I bought a cheapie circular saw, 20mmx200mm blade, 2 blades
with it, 25 quid - and another two blades for about 7 quid,
can't remember how many teeth but they're about every 10mm
on the circumference, from memory. Made in China, I'd lay
odds - however, your genuine Bosch blades come from there
too as far as I know (Hangzhou).

Is there a benefit using a larger saw when doing worktop or is it
better to have one that just cuts through it and not much more.

Bigger is better, within reason.
Bob Eager

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 16:37:28 UTC, "Gogs"
wrote:

Thanks for that info, thats one of the things I am finding, was
searching for blades but not coming back with much in the way of 40
teeth and so on.

What blade did you get in the end, take it was actually made by Bosch
was it.

Don't have the saw here, but I think it was 30 teeth. It wasn't a Bosch
blade, but it was fine - the right size, and it did the job. One thing I
found was to cut the worktop as you stated, but start at the 'nose', not
at the back, or the end of the cut lifted the laminate off the 'nose'.

Nick H

Gogs Wrote:
I dont own a plane, I would expect a circular saw to give a pretty
decent cut, I can achieve this with a jigsaw but its way too slow.

What like is that Bosch one I put the link in for and what amount of
teeth are you looking at for a decent cut.

I have heard of people doing worktops with circulars and getting good
results, just by turning the workpiece over, using a blade with more
teeth than the one they give you with the saw and puting tape on the
surface.

This is what I want to achieve but not sure what size of saw is best
and what blade exactly.

Ive got a 190mm Skil classic and use it for pretty much everything,
from kitchen fitting to large cut roofs. I seldom need anything bigger
but I would be very reluctant to use anything smaller. With a 24 tooth
TCT blade, cutting along a straight edge from the underside and with a
bit of care, its fairly easy to get a very good cut. You need to be
particularly carefull when near the edges and an extra set of hands
helps.

--
Nick H
John Rumm

Gogs wrote:

I am looking to buy a circular saw, I need to cut back some kitchen
units and cut laminate worktop.

What would be a good model to go for, it wont be used that often so not
looking to spend crazy money.

Is this one any good or do you need one with a bigger blade/deeper cut
ideally : http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=108072

Personally I would opt for a 7.5" blade as a minimum for a general
purpose saw.

Also I have seen TCT blades with 100teeth, is this what you would need
for cutting laminates to avoid chipping or will one with less teeth do.

More teeth will give finer (but slower) cuts. Cutting from the underside
will prevent chipping of the laminate. The very fine blades will also
tend to clog on rip cuts.

For background see:

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/powertools/circularsaw.htm

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm

david lang wrote:

For cutting kitchen units, presumably melamine coated chipboard & laminates,
you want the finest toothed blade you can get to fit the saw - 40 tooth +
IMO.

Not tried them yet, but an interesting link I bookmarked was these folks:

http://www.summitsawblades.co.uk/saw_blade_143.htm

They have some very fine toothed blades at reasonable prices.

--
Cheers,

John.

Chris Bacon

John Rumm wrote:
david lang wrote:
For cutting kitchen units, presumably melamine coated chipboard &
laminates, you want the finest toothed blade you can get to fit the
saw - 40 tooth + IMO.

Not tried them yet, but an interesting link I bookmarked was these folks:

http://www.summitsawblades.co.uk/saw_blade_143.htm

They have some very fine toothed blades at reasonable prices.

I bought a couple from Lidl, - 40T & 60T ISTR - they were £6.99
(for the two) - also Chinese like the one in your URL.