John Rumm

Default Advice on circular saw

Gogs wrote:

I am looking to buy a circular saw, I need to cut back some kitchen
units and cut laminate worktop.

What would be a good model to go for, it wont be used that often so not
looking to spend crazy money.

Is this one any good or do you need one with a bigger blade/deeper cut
ideally : http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=108072

Personally I would opt for a 7.5" blade as a minimum for a general
purpose saw.

Also I have seen TCT blades with 100teeth, is this what you would need
for cutting laminates to avoid chipping or will one with less teeth do.

More teeth will give finer (but slower) cuts. Cutting from the underside
will prevent chipping of the laminate. The very fine blades will also
tend to clog on rip cuts.

For background see:

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/powertools/circularsaw.htm

--