Posted to rec.woodworking
cbjroms

Default UK Circular Saws - Any Advice?

I am in the UK and have just purchased the EZ Smart from Eurekazone. I love
the product and have many uses for it in my sign-making business.

But I cannot decide which circular saw to buy. I like both the Skil Orca and
a similar sized Makita. I guess that my preference is for the Orca but I am
woriied about its lack of a Riving Knife. As this saw will be used by my
employees, safety features very high in my list of required attributes.

So my question for you experts is whether the lack of a Riving Knife makes a
circular saw any more dangerous than one which has one fitted?

Grateful for your advice.

Chris (Hampshire - UK)

Posted to rec.woodworking
badger

cbjroms wrote:
I am in the UK and have just purchased the EZ Smart from Eurekazone. I love
the product and have many uses for it in my sign-making business.

But I cannot decide which circular saw to buy. I like both the Skil Orca and
a similar sized Makita. I guess that my preference is for the Orca but I am
woriied about its lack of a Riving Knife. As this saw will be used by my
employees, safety features very high in my list of required attributes.

So my question for you experts is whether the lack of a Riving Knife makes a
circular saw any more dangerous than one which has one fitted?

Grateful for your advice.

Chris (Hampshire - UK)

Metabo industrial and don't forget 110V for commercial use.

Niel, also Hampshire

Posted to rec.woodworking
Limey Lurker

So my question for you experts is whether the lack of a Riving Knife makes a
circular saw any more dangerous than one which has one fitted?

A riving knife is essential when ripping natural timber along the
grain,but is not neccesary when sawing natural timber across the grain,
or sawing man-made products e.g. MDF, ply, chipboard, plastic etc..
110v is not neccesary in workshop or on site; it depends on company
policy and the company's insurers.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Andy Dingley

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 19:17:22 GMT, "cbjroms"
wrote:

But I cannot decide which circular saw to buy.

I would have said Hitachi, but I spent far too much of this afternoon
taking a C7U almost entirely apart, just so that I could bend the riving
knife bracket back straight again. An annoying and totally pointless job
that should never have have been necessary.

If you do have one of these saws, if you ever adjust the riving knife
then _always_ use two spanners, one on the back. Don't just use one on
the front and put force on the bracket, otherwise you'll bend the flimsy
piece of crap and you can't get access to bend it straight again.

The _big_ framing saws are now Makitas (235mm blade) Haven't broken one
of those yet.

Advice on circular saw Gogs UK diy 14 November 17th 05 11:11 AM
Benchtop Table Saws: Ridgid TS2400 vs Bosch 4000 Chris E Forest Woodworking 3 December 19th 03 03:13 PM
18v circular saws - any good? Tenex UK diy 11 September 2nd 03 09:43 AM
Rules for tools - current position - Circular saws, and still wondeing which one [email protected] UK diy 1 July 3rd 03 07:59 PM