Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Non-standard shower screen for bath

I have a bath which is installed in a corner of the bathroom such that one
side and the tap end are against walls. I wish to add a shower fitting which
can used when standing up in the bath. The plumbing is relatively
straightforward because both hot and cold are at mains pressure (non-vented
cylinder), so we're not into electric showers or booster pumps.

The problem is that the ceiling slopes down at the tap end so that there is
not enough headroom to stand up comfortably at that end, and certainly not
enough wall height to get the shower head at the desired height. [Piccy
he http://www.mills37.plus.com/bathroom.JPG ] The shower thus needs to
go at the *other* end of the bath - where there is a side wall but no end
wall. I would thus need some sort of shower screen along the back of the
bath, and partially along the side remote from the wall. The end part would
need to support the riser mechanism for the shower head (the actual mixing
valve could be on the existing side wall). That part of the screen which
extends forward along the side of the bath would need to fold out of the way
when the bath is being used as a bath rather than as a shower.

Anyone got any bright ideas as to how this might be achieved?

TIA.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

You might not want to do this but you could build a false wall at the
end of the bath and the plumbing could run within the wall. You could
then fit a shower screen against the wall/along the side of the bath .
I did this years ago when fitting an electric shower so that the shower
went at the tap end as there was no wall at either of the bath short ends.

Does the base of the bath at that end slope in the usual fashion ...I
was wondering if it was OK to stand at that end while showering.
Might be more suitable if the bath was reversed ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

Meant to ask how much room there is between bath and basin ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In an earlier contribution to this discussion, Sea Monkey
wrote:
Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

Something akin to that may well be the solution. I'm planning (subject to
Listed Building Consent) to build a stud wall across the bathroom anyway,
just at the far side of the basin. This is in a holiday flat which I have
just bought and, as can probably be seen from the photo, the bedroom leads
off the bathroom - so I want to move the wall of the bathroom to provide
independent access to the bedroom.

I *could* then swap the positions of the bath and basin so that the bath
would butt up to the new wall - which could have the plumbing for the shower
inside it, as you suggest. The only problems with that a
a) We might fall over the bog while standing at the basin, and
b) I would probably have to raise the bath to get adequate fall on its
outlet pipe - which discharges through the wall at the tap end.

So I would at least like to consider leaving the bath and basin in their
current positions, and finding a way to install a shower at the 'basin' end
of the bath - hence my original question.

[To answer the question in your second post, there is about 120mm between
bath and basin].

Does the base of the bath at that end slope in the usual fashion ...I
was wondering if it was OK to stand at that end while showering.
Might be more suitable if the bath was reversed ?

The bath *does* slope, but quite steeply - the bottom being flat until
almost the end. I have a very similar bath here in my main home, with a
shower on the wall at the opposite end from the taps, and that works
perfectly well. When you stand at the end of the flat bit, you're in the
right place to use the shower.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

That was the situation we were in until the bathroom refurbishment. The
plumber asked if we wanted the bath reversing. I kick myself every time
I have a shower now. If I am facing the shower, the water and soap
bounce off me and go towards the shower end of the bath and leave soapy
water under the feet. Before, the shower head was at the opposite end of
the bath to the taps and water flowed and took the soapy stuff from
under the feet.

Something to consider.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In an earlier contribution to this discussion, Sea Monkey
wrote:
Recently I paid an excess to get a new indscreen using my Abbey Debit
card but a few minutes after paying it discovered that the 3rd Party
had admitted liabilty so I needn't have paid the excess .My insurers
said they would get Autoglass to refund the payment to my card but
Autoglass sent a cheque so I now need to take a trip to Abbey to lodge
it .

Today I phoned the Council about a payment of Council Tax I had
overpaid and they also said they would send a cheque as that was what
they did ..and it might be next week before I get it so that's another
trip to the bank .

Cheques are getting phased out so they'll need to change their
practices but is there any logical reason why refunds should not be
put back on the card from whence they came ?

Are you in the right thread - or even in the right *Newsgroup*?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

Roger .Could you check your e-mail please even tho you say it isn't
checked often.