Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Key Safe

Can anyone offer to help me with a Master Lock Keysafe - the type with 4
combination discs 0 - 9.

Between a neighbour and my own fiddling we have lost the combination. There
is no key in the box. I have prized the box off the wall to take in indoors
for further attempts.

YouTube suggested some trick with a paperclip - but it was to vague to be of
use.

If anyone can help then don't risk posting the instructions - advice me on
this site and I will post my e-mail address.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 5 Mar 2010 20:17:34 -0000, "John"
wrote:

Can anyone offer to help me with a Master Lock Keysafe - the type with 4
combination discs 0 - 9.

Between a neighbour and my own fiddling we have lost the combination. There
is no key in the box. I have prized the box off the wall to take in indoors
for further attempts.

YouTube suggested some trick with a paperclip - but it was to vague to be of
use.

If anyone can help then don't risk posting the instructions - advice me on
this site and I will post my e-mail address.

I presume you set the combination and pull that little lever down to
open it?

When it is not on the open combination does the lever move at all?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In an earlier contribution to this discussion, John
wrote:
Can anyone offer to help me with a Master Lock Keysafe - the type
with 4 combination discs 0 - 9.

Between a neighbour and my own fiddling we have lost the combination.
There is no key in the box. I have prized the box off the wall to
take in indoors for further attempts.

YouTube suggested some trick with a paperclip - but it was to vague
to be of use.

If anyone can help then don't risk posting the instructions - advice
me on this site and I will post my e-mail address.

There are only 10,000 combinations. It doesn't take *that* long to work
through all of them until you find the right one.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Can anyone offer to help me with a Master Lock Keysafe - the type with 4
combination discs 0 - 9.

Between a neighbour and my own fiddling we have lost the combination.
There
is no key in the box. I have prized the box off the wall to take in
indoors
for further attempts.

YouTube suggested some trick with a paperclip - but it was to vague to be
of
use.

If anyone can help then don't risk posting the instructions - advice me on
this site and I will post my e-mail address.

I presume you set the combination and pull that little lever down to
open it?

When it is not on the open combination does the lever move at all?

It is fixed - I don't know why but the number we had been trying has
suddenly worked. Something must have been sticking.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Can anyone offer to help me with a Master Lock Keysafe - the type
with 4 combination discs 0 - 9.

Between a neighbour and my own fiddling we have lost the combination.
There is no key in the box. I have prized the box off the wall to
take in indoors for further attempts.

YouTube suggested some trick with a paperclip - but it was to vague
to be of use.

If anyone can help then don't risk posting the instructions - advice
me on this site and I will post my e-mail address.

There are only 10,000 combinations. It doesn't take *that* long to work
through all of them until you find the right one.
--
Cheers,
Roger
_______
checked.

Now its working sounds like maybe a little oil to lubricate might be in
order.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Not oil. Powdered graphite or dry ptfe lubricant.

_Never_ use oil on locks of this type.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

It had been sprayed with WD40 (not an oil!!!) should I try and rinse it our?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
_Never_ use oil on locks of this type.
Frank Erskine

It had been sprayed with WD40 (not an oil!!!) should I try and rinse it
our?

WD40 is oil diluted with thinners.
One application isn't a disaster, but don't keep doing it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Can anyone offer to help me with a Master Lock Keysafe - the type
with 4 combination discs 0 - 9.

Between a neighbour and my own fiddling we have lost the
combination. There is no key in the box. I have prized the box
off the wall to take in indoors for further attempts.

YouTube suggested some trick with a paperclip - but it was to
vague to be of use.

If anyone can help then don't risk posting the instructions -
advice me on this site and I will post my e-mail address.

There are only 10,000 combinations. It doesn't take *that* long to
work through all of them until you find the right one.
--
Cheers,
Roger
_______
Please reply to Newsgroup. Whilst email address is valid, it is
seldom checked.

Now its working sounds like maybe a little oil to lubricate might
be in order.

Not oil. Powdered graphite or dry ptfe lubricant.

_Never_ use oil on locks of this type.

--
Frank Erskine

It had been sprayed with WD40 (not an oil!!!) should I try and rinse
it our?

Nothing wrong with WD40 on locks - Yale actually reccommend it by name.

--
Dave - WD40 Liberation Front.

Is it safe? Programmer666 Electronics 6 March 10th 09 11:20 PM
is it safe to Erich J. Schultheis Electronics Repair 5 December 20th 05 07:11 PM
Is old BX "safe" or not? blueman Home Repair 26 January 22nd 05 10:29 PM
OAK PIE SAFE J T Woodworking 5 January 9th 05 10:03 AM