Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Can I disable alarm

I am painting a friends house where there is a Avitras alarm burgular
alarm which she never uses .. and does not have the code anyway to set
it.

Yesterday carpet fitter came and chopped through t he wires hidden
under the stair carpet.

The only alarm that sounds is the one in the keypad.

Wires were joined back together but alarm kept going.

Owner is away for another two weeks and she asks can we just disable
it. The self employed carpet fitter said he would get a leccy mate to
look at it.
In the meantime I just tried punching in code 1234 .. and it stopped
ringing! So I cancelled the leccy mate.
So far so good.
But now everytime someone goes upsatairs the sensor triggers the alarm
..... not the downstairs sensors.

Can I cover the sensors to make them inoperative ?
Is there a simplistic way to deactivate the alarm until the owner
returns and sorts out a code ?

Mike 2
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike2 wrote:
[...]

dear burglar mike,
its probably got a mains input and batteries.
[g]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 13:48:28 +0000, "george [dicegeorge]"
hurriedly dipped his quill in the best Quink
that money could buy:

Mike2 wrote:
[...]

Yes it has.
Pulled the fuse before opening the system box and then disconnected
battery (well the carpet fitter did) and it shut up for a minute, then
reverted to its merry chirping.

That does not make sense !
Perhaps I should do that routine again myself.
The owner never used the alarm since she moved in (no code anyway)
3yrs ago as she had a dog until a few months ago.

Of course the self employed carpet fitter is not answering his phone
now !

Mike 2
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike2 wrote:
[...]

there must be another battery.

i sugget you post the model number etc, maybe a photo,
then when the experts get here this evening they can advise you better
than me.

[g]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/02/2010 14:46 george [dicegeorge] wrote:

there must be another battery.

In the bell box outside?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 14:46:03 +0000, "george [dicegeorge]"

Mike2 wrote:
[...]

This thing has taken over ... I pulled the fuse for the system box ...
switched off the mains and thought . now I gotcha.
I opened the system box and disconnected the battery .. warble warble
warble .. lol.

There is no product code on the keypad .. will look elsewhere.
Thanx for the input anyway.

Mike 2
Posted to uk.d-i-y
gb gb is offline

Mike2 wrote:

But now everytime someone goes upsatairs the sensor triggers the alarm
.... not the downstairs sensors.

Can I cover the sensors to make them inoperative ?

Yes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"gb" wrote in message
Mike2 wrote:

But now everytime someone goes upsatairs the sensor triggers the alarm
.... not the downstairs sensors.

Can I cover the sensors to make them inoperative ?

Yes.

Try disconnectin the mains to the panel.and take the battery out of the
panel.

The external sounder should activate for 20 mins, then stop.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
gb writes:
Mike2 wrote:

But now everytime someone goes upsatairs the sensor triggers the alarm
.... not the downstairs sensors.

Can I cover the sensors to make them inoperative ?

Yes.

unless they're anti-masking (unlikely unless it was
originally a high spec system).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

It happens that george [dicegeorge] formulated :
there must be another battery.

There will probably be one in the bell box up on the outside wall.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike2" wrote in message
[...]

The wires are usually 4 core - two being an anti-tamper circuit. I wonder if
that needs to be reset with an "Engineer Code"?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 18:29:25 -0000, "John"
hurriedly dipped his quill in the best Quink that money could buy:

"Mike2" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

You could be right, because on the keypad there is a green light .. On
... and a red light which says Tamper under it .. that is On also.
If I key in 1234 everytime the alarm triggers, it does shut the
internal alarm off , so i think that is the "Engineer Code" from
default..
The outside alarm only goes off when I disconnect the battery in the
system box.

Mike 2
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike2" wrote in message
On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 18:29:25 -0000, "John"
hurriedly dipped his quill in the best Quink that money could buy:

"Mike2" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

That is normal.

Disconnect the power to the alarm panel from the baterry and the mains and
just wait until the bell box battery dies.

About 10 minutes and the whole system is dead.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
It happens that george [dicegeorge] formulated :
there must be another battery.

There will probably be one in the bell box up on the outside wall.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

I know for a fact that my alarm system has a battery in the bell box high up
on the building. If you have disconnected from the mains (I think this
trickle charges the battery) then eventually the battery will give up but
could take a long time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
om...

"Mike2" wrote in message
[...]

Sometimes the Engineer Code is the reverse of the User Code

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike2" wrote in message

But now everytime someone goes upsatairs the sensor triggers the alarm
.... not the downstairs sensors.

How sure are you that it is the PIR sensor that is activating the alarm?
When I had my system tested for false alarms the guy just taped a few layers
of bin bag material over the PIRs and set the system never went off in a
week, but he managed to sort it!. Are you sure there isn't a pressure pad
somewhere?

HTH

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 10:42:28 -0000, "John"
hurriedly dipped his quill in the best Quink that money could buy:

"Mike2" wrote in message
.. .

But now everytime someone goes upsatairs the sensor triggers the alarm
.... not the downstairs sensors.

How sure are you that it is the PIR sensor that is activating the alarm?
When I had my system tested for false alarms the guy just taped a few layers
of bin bag material over the PIRs and set the system never went off in a
week, but he managed to sort it!. Are you sure there isn't a pressure pad
somewhere?

HTH

John

99% sure. All the carpets have been up. I can get it to trigger in
different places.
1234 will stop the internal buzz .. the external never goes off unless
I unhook the battery in the system box.
The Tamper light never goes out and it flashes until I punch in 1234
and then the reset button .. then it goes onto steady red. The sensor
will still trigger.

I can as suggested kill the feed to the external battery .. disconnect
the internal battery .. and let it ring for 10 - 20 mins to flatten
it, and that will stop everything.

I could try to use the possible default Engineers Code 7809 .. but
then what ?

I rang the tel number on the system box and they suggest a fuse might
have blown in the box as the wires were chopped. What I have done
should have sorted it they say.

The carpet fitter is self employed to the carpet company, even though
he uses the companies van and T shirts, he says I cannot hold the
company responsible. I pointed out it was him who chopped the cables,
so he should sort it.
He blamed the owner as she did not have the code. Well I have now and
it did not help.
Reluctantly he said he would get a leccy mate to have a look and would
ring me last night.
Heard nothing so far.
I was told that the contract was with the carpet company and not the
carpet fitter, so it looks like a visit to them is in order.
Unless someone knows any different ?

Mike 2