Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to repair a Rubydry dehumidifier

I purchased a 2nd hand Rubydry DH600 dehumidifier which ran fine for the
first two weeks, collecting about 4-5 ltrs/day.
Then one morning I found it had stopped with the warning light on and
the Mid light flashing. Since the on/off button was inoperative I pulled
the mains plug. After re-inserting it I pressed the on/off button and it
started running properly again, only to fail a couple of nights later
with the same fault.
I followed the same procedure and got it working again, but when it
happened again the following day, the error was hard. This time I
couldn't get it running so I called a company called Dry-it-Out who
suggested checking for a blown fuse or that the drum was still rotating.
Both were OK so I switched it off until I got some more information.

Several days later I demonstrated the error to a friend but, much to my
surprise, it started running properly when I connected the mains lead.
Its now been running properly for 48 hours, collecting about 4 ltrs/day
on the Mid setting.
Can anybody shed any light on this intermittent problem?

--
Regards, Gary Wooding
(To reply by email, change gug to goog in my address)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

lemel_man explained on 19/02/2010 :
Several days later I demonstrated the error to a friend but, much to my
surprise, it started running properly when I connected the mains lead. Its
now been running properly for 48 hours, collecting about 4 ltrs/day on the
Mid setting.
Can anybody shed any light on this intermittent problem?

Might it have simply shut itself down because it had been especially
cold over night?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I believe they are made/imported by EHS in Manchester.
Look at the bottom rear of the unit, you may find a telephone number,
if not search online.

They have a full exploded parts-diagram with every part listed, and I
believe service facilities.

As you know they do not use a compressor, they use a dessicant disc.
Thus should be particularly reliable in that there is very little to
go wrong and also very repairable (no compressor). Low temperature is
not a problem, they maintain their efficiency unlike many (they kick
out about 350-570W heat remember). Only the Mitsubishi unit is more
reliable, but frankly at £330+ too expensive.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 19, 5:52*pm, "js.b1" wrote:
I believe they are made/imported by EHS in Manchester.
Look at the bottom rear of the unit, you may find a telephone number,
if not search online.

They have a full exploded parts-diagram with every part listed, and I
believe service facilities.

As you know they do not use a compressor, they use a dessicant disc.
Thus should be particularly reliable in that there is very little to
go wrong and also very repairable (no compressor). Low temperature is
not a problem, they maintain their efficiency unlike many (they kick
out about 350-570W heat remember). Only the Mitsubishi unit is more
reliable, but frankly at £330+ too expensive.

Desiccant wheels use around twice as much energy as compressors
though. If you dont need low ambient temp operation you might be
better off with a compressor machine.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote on Feb 19, 2010:

On Feb 19, 5:52*pm, "js.b1" wrote:
I believe they are made/imported by EHS in Manchester.
Look at the bottom rear of the unit, you may find a telephone number,
if not search online.

They have a full exploded parts-diagram with every part listed, and I
believe service facilities.

As you know they do not use a compressor, they use a dessicant disc.
Thus should be particularly reliable in that there is very little to
go wrong and also very repairable (no compressor). Low temperature is
not a problem, they maintain their efficiency unlike many (they kick
out about 350-570W heat remember). Only the Mitsubishi unit is more
reliable, but frankly at £330+ too expensive.

Desiccant wheels use around twice as much energy as compressors
though. If you dont need low ambient temp operation you might be
better off with a compressor machine.

Yes that's what I've always thought, but I'd like to see a proper comparison
of the extraction rate/kW of energy under identical conditions.

A typical desiccant dehumidifier is quoted as consuming 620W and giving an
extraction rate of around 8 litres/day. My compressor unit uses 250W and is
quoted as extracting 10 litres/day *but* that is at 32ºC and 80% rh - i.e.
unusually high temperature and humidity. Under more normal conditions the
extraction rate that I get is far less than 10 litres/day - I would guess
around a third or quarter of that0

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

Dehumidifier repair Bodgit UK diy 1 December 20th 09 01:10 PM
Dehumidifier Repair? herlihyboy Home Repair 6 February 15th 06 01:49 PM
Dehumidifier repair Rich Dell Home Repair 12 November 24th 04 11:36 PM
Dehumidifier Repair Marty Home Repair 13 October 16th 04 04:51 PM
Dehumidifier Repair Marty Home Ownership 9 October 16th 04 04:51 PM