Posted to alt.home.repair
herlihyboy

Default Dehumidifier Repair?

I have a Sears dehumidifier like this one...

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...=Dehumidifiers

It's about 3 years old.

It's not running right now, and I'm trying to determine if there is
something wrong with it, or if it is because the humidity is low and it
is designed to not run based on the humidity setting. It has a
humidity control on it that is set on 40%. We live in SW Indiana, so
it's not too humid now. However, the basement is damp right now and
the dehumidifer isn't kicking on. I'll probably wait until Spring to
see if it will come on and replace it then if it is broken. However, I
was wondering if anyone has advice on something to check inside the
dehumifier to see if any of the components need to be replaced.

Thanks,

Ryan

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

herlihyboy wrote:
I have a Sears dehumidifier like this one...

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...=Dehumidifiers

It's about 3 years old.

It's not running right now, and I'm trying to determine if there is
something wrong with it, or if it is because the humidity is low and
it is designed to not run based on the humidity setting. It has a
humidity control on it that is set on 40%. We live in SW Indiana, so
it's not too humid now. However, the basement is damp right now and
the dehumidifer isn't kicking on. I'll probably wait until Spring to
see if it will come on and replace it then if it is broken. However,
I was wondering if anyone has advice on something to check inside the
dehumifier to see if any of the components need to be replaced.

Thanks,

Ryan

First that humidistat is not likely to be very accurate or sensitive.
That 40% is likely give or take 20% and may not kick in until it thinks the
humidity is 10% too high. This time of year in most areas you do not need
a dehumidifier if you ventilate the basement with the rest of the house that
is usually too dry.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

Sears has a humidifier made for low temperature use but you don't have the
right model. If you want to see if it works take it to a warm spot and put
it in the always on setting and see what happens. By the way the
refrigeration unit is probably warrantied for 5 years though the new units
have a shorter warranty. Some other brands warranty the whole unit 5 years
with labor.

"herlihyboy" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a Sears dehumidifier like this one...

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...=Dehumidifiers

It's about 3 years old.

It's not running right now, and I'm trying to determine if there is
something wrong with it, or if it is because the humidity is low and it
is designed to not run based on the humidity setting. It has a
humidity control on it that is set on 40%. We live in SW Indiana, so
it's not too humid now. However, the basement is damp right now and
the dehumidifer isn't kicking on. I'll probably wait until Spring to
see if it will come on and replace it then if it is broken. However, I
was wondering if anyone has advice on something to check inside the
dehumifier to see if any of the components need to be replaced.

Thanks,

Ryan

Posted to alt.home.repair

Get a good hygrometer and see what the actual humidity level
actually is.

Junior Member

Location: New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art
[...]

One simple way to test it is to put it in your bathroom while you are taking a long shower. This will overcome any possible inaccuracy on its detector.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Neckerson

http://tinyurl.com/ah93g

[...]

Yeah. Put in in the tub while you are taking a shower....

Posted to alt.home.repair
herlihyboy

Thanks to all for the advice [especially yours, Red!].

Ryan