Rich Dell

Default Dehumidifier repair

I bought a Goldstar dehumidifier last June, which started short
cycling late in the summer. It was still in warranty so I called and
they sent me a check for the full price! Now I have a working unit
which I assume needs a humidistat. It's the fancy electronic model
with digital readout. My question is, can I replace the electronic
controls with an old fashioned dial type one? I found one in a parts
list for a frigidaire, but there's also a "thermostst defrost" listed.
Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Rich
David Martel

Rich,

I don't think anyone can advise you without seeing the circuit diagram.

Dave M.

Stormin Mormon

Define "short cycling". I've heard several usages of this term, and curious
which you are using.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Rich Dell" wrote in message
om...
I bought a Goldstar dehumidifier last June, which started short
cycling late in the summer. It was still in warranty so I called and
they sent me a check for the full price! Now I have a working unit
which I assume needs a humidistat. It's the fancy electronic model
with digital readout. My question is, can I replace the electronic
controls with an old fashioned dial type one? I found one in a parts
list for a frigidaire, but there's also a "thermostst defrost" listed.
Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Rich

Rich Dell

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message ...
Define "short cycling". I've heard several usages of this term, and curious
which you are using.

The unit runs and water drips off the coil as it should, but only for
a short time. Then another short time later it starts again, only to
run another short period of time.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Rich Dell" wrote in message
om...
I bought a Goldstar dehumidifier last June, which started short
cycling late in the summer. It was still in warranty so I called and
they sent me a check for the full price! Now I have a working unit
which I assume needs a humidistat. It's the fancy electronic model
with digital readout. My question is, can I replace the electronic
controls with an old fashioned dial type one? I found one in a parts
list for a frigidaire, but there's also a "thermostst defrost" listed.
Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Rich

Forza Azzurri

The humidistat is just a switch which turns on the humidifier.
Whether it is fancy digital one or a simple dial, they do the same
thing. They sense humidity in the air and turn on or off at certain
settings so my answer is yes, you can use any humidistat and it will do
the job.

Rich Dell wrote:
I bought a Goldstar dehumidifier last June, which started short
cycling late in the summer. It was still in warranty so I called and
they sent me a check for the full price! Now I have a working unit
which I assume needs a humidistat. It's the fancy electronic model
with digital readout. My question is, can I replace the electronic
controls with an old fashioned dial type one? I found one in a parts
list for a frigidaire, but there's also a "thermostst defrost" listed.
Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Rich

--
'''
(0 0)
Gary R. Lloyd

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 17:54:51 GMT, Forza Azzurri
wrote:

The humidistat is just a switch which turns on the humidifier.
Whether it is fancy digital one or a simple dial, they do the same
thing. They sense humidity in the air and turn on or off at certain
settings so my answer is yes, you can use any humidistat and it will do
the job.

Humidistats are notorious for quickly losing their calibration, to the
point where I have long considered them useless. I have been told that
todays humidistats are much better in this regard, and that electronic
humidistats are far superior to mechanical humidistats, but I have
seen no authoritative studies on this.

In any case, the defrost thermostat is the more likely problem here.

Gary R. Lloyd CMS
HVACR Troubleshooting Books/Software
http://www.techmethod.com

Rich Dell

Forza Azzurri wrote in message ...
The humidistat is just a switch which turns on the humidifier.
Whether it is fancy digital one or a simple dial, they do the same
thing. They sense humidity in the air and turn on or off at certain
settings so my answer is yes, you can use any humidistat and it will do
the job.

Thank you very much, that's pretty much the answer I was hoping for!

Rich