Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default ceramic 1/4 turn tap query

have a kitchen mixer (Bristan I think) installed abt 5yrs ago.
recently cold water flow has been reducing (hot fine 3bar!). This
morning cold is only a trickle - hot still fine.....

(both h&c supplied by a 3bar pump, rest of house unaffected)

Had a quick google most 1/4 turn queries are about dripping etc -
anyone had this low/no flow prob before? any pointers where I'm
heading? new cartridge? something else?

thanks for any tips
JimK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 18, 9:32*am, JimK wrote:
have a kitchen mixer (Bristan I think) installed abt 5yrs ago.
recently cold water flow has been reducing (hot fine 3bar!). This
morning cold is only a trickle - hot still fine.....

(both h&c supplied by a 3bar pump, rest of house unaffected)

Had a quick google most 1/4 turn queries are about dripping etc -
anyone had this low/no flow prob before? any pointers where I'm
heading? new cartridge? something else?

thanks for any tips
JimK

Is there a mesh filter somewhere that has got clogged? I had
something similar and found that there was a mesh filter on the tap
inlet clogged with little bits of bosswhite fro ma job elsewhere in
the house!

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 18, 10:17 am, RobertL wrote:
On Feb 18, 9:32 am, JimK wrote:

have a kitchen mixer (Bristan I think) installed abt 5yrs ago.
recently cold water flow has been reducing (hot fine 3bar!). This
morning cold is only a trickle - hot still fine.....

(both h&c supplied by a 3bar pump, rest of house unaffected)

Had a quick google most 1/4 turn queries are about dripping etc -
anyone had this low/no flow prob before? any pointers where I'm
heading? new cartridge? something else?

thanks for any tips
JimK

Is there a mesh filter somewhere that has got clogged? I had
something similar and found that there was a mesh filter on the tap
inlet clogged with little bits of bosswhite fro ma job elsewhere in
the house!

Robert

that's a good idea - I'll check - twas a long while ago!!
ta
JimK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 18, 9:32 am, JimK wrote:

[...]

well just investigated further and decided to try and backflush any
crap back from tap and then out of a wash/mc tap on same leg of
pipework....took a few goes but something moved....

However when flushing the wm tap with full pressure cold supply
restored all was going well til I heard and felt *something" in the
pipe *move* and reduce the flow to the wm tap?? WTF is in there? and
how to get it out?!
Cheers
JimK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 18, 9:32 am, JimK wrote:

[...]

Probably not much other way than to take the tap off. Do you have
isolator valves?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 18, 9:32 am, JimK wrote:

[...]

er somewhat remotely yes - will tinker and see what's going on..

JimK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"JimK" wrote in message

On Feb 18, 9:32 am, JimK wrote:

[...]

Have you fitted one of those 'self drilling' washing machine taps? Could be
the bit of pipe that gets cut away that is moving.

A mate had a noise in a pipe - it turned out to be a nut that had held the
tap washer in an earlier installation.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 18, 2:01 pm, "John" wrote:
"JimK" wrote in message

On Feb 18, 9:32 am, JimK wrote:

[...]

not me guv!
quite extensive re-plumbing in last 12m or so but not this last 8ft
"as the crow plumbs"... expect the "never to work here again" plummers
strike again...

JimK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 01:32:33 -0800 (PST), JimK
wrote:

Had a quick google most 1/4 turn queries are about dripping etc -
anyone had this low/no flow prob before? any pointers where I'm
heading? new cartridge? something else?

Last one I had was fine gravel in the pipe after some work had been
done on the mains. Over several weeks the tap got slower until SWMBO
issued a directive that "something had to be done". Getting it out
involved removing the tap and the tails.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Had a quick google most 1/4 turn queries are about dripping etc -
anyone had this low/no flow prob before? any pointers where I'm
heading? new cartridge? something else?

Last one I had was fine gravel in the pipe after some work had been
done on the mains. Over several weeks the tap got slower until SWMBO
issued a directive that "something had to be done". Getting it out
involved removing the tap and the tails.

well mystery solved/removed = a plug of polystyrene anyone?!?!

quite how that got in is another good question...

do those bulk packs of 15mm pipe have PS packaging to protect pipe
ends?

JimK