Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Enfield diesel engine .. starter motor!..

Wonder if anyone could help please?.

I've got a rather vintage, believed to be 1950 or thereabouts, Enfield
diesel engine that drives a generator. This unit worked very well until
recently when the starter motor decided to throw in the towel;!.

I believe its an Enfield 85 HO2, a two cylinder twin horizontally
opposed arrangement. The starter motor as dismantled is full of small
bits of steel wire and seems rather sophisticated perhaps for its time
being pre engaged.

No one round here is interested in repairing it or rewinding it either.
Its made by "Simms" and is a 512SG 1052 this company aren't to the best
of my knowledge around anymore!.

Does anybody know of someone who might be able to repair or who would
know of a modern equivalent which would directly bolt in place without
too much modification?.

Any help gratefully received thanks!...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , tony sayer
writes

[...]

Ask in uk.rec.motorcycles - prolly one of the FOAK in there will know

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:

[...]

these people
http://www.sandcelectrical.com/
repaired the starter motor on my lawn tractor a few years ago.
?Frederick Simms was an interesting man, worth*a google.**
\0
\0

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.engines.stationary

drugs began to take hold. I remember tony sayer
saying something like:

[...]

x-posted to uk.rec.engines.stationary in the sure and certain knowledge
that someone will know.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:
Wonder if anyone could help please?.

I've got a rather vintage, believed to be 1950 or thereabouts, Enfield
diesel engine that drives a generator. This unit worked very well until
recently when the starter motor decided to throw in the towel;!.

I believe its an Enfield 85 HO2, a two cylinder twin horizontally
opposed arrangement. The starter motor as dismantled is full of small
bits of steel wire and seems rather sophisticated perhaps for its time
being pre engaged.

Not really sophisticated, I seem to remember that they had what I think
they called Dynostarters which were bolted on to the front of car engine
crankshafts and had 2 sets of windings, one series for starting and a
shunt for charging. I remember driving an old Talbot or was it a
Sunbeam? that had one of these and I was always impressed by the lack of
a clunk when you pressed the large black starter button in the walnut
dash board, just a mere whisper until the engine burst into life.
Ahhh takes me back. :-)
Don