Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - Photos to DVD

I have been tasked with putting some digital photos into a presentation - on
DVD to be presented on a digital projector. My only experience of doing this
was with a Microsoft package which seemed to reduce the image sharpness. Any
suggestions as to what I should try - preferably free software.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 10:06:37 -0000
"John" wrote:

I have been tasked with putting some digital photos into a presentation - on
DVD to be presented on a digital projector. My only experience of doing this
was with a Microsoft package which seemed to reduce the image sharpness. Any
suggestions as to what I should try - preferably free software.

Microsoft Office Powerpoint and Openoffice (free) Impress can both
accept most formats of digital photos. If you don't already have
PowerPoint I would recommend the OpenOffice suite for this, there is
loads of free help available for it too. http://www.openoffice.org

When you say 'reduce the image sharpness' I suspect that this meant
that the image resolution was reduced or it was too heavily compressed.
JPGs for instance can be saved at various quality levels, which equates
to compression, and this does lead to a grainy appearance. Depends on
the number of pictures/slides to be put on the DVD, but I would expect
you could get an enormous presentation on one with very high
resolution images.

It's better to set the size of the images to match
the slides outside of the presentation package, rather than let it do
it's worst to scale your photos. I use Gimp for this.
http://www.gimp.org

R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "John"
saying something like:

I have been tasked with putting some digital photos into a presentation - on
DVD to be presented on a digital projector. My only experience of doing this
was with a Microsoft package which seemed to reduce the image sharpness. Any
suggestions as to what I should try - preferably free software.

irfanview does a slideshow, but I've no idea how good it is.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheOldFellow wrote:

It's better to set the size of the images to match
the slides outside of the presentation package, rather than let it do
it's worst to scale your photos. *I use Gimp for this.
http://www.gimp.org

And the gimp "Save for web" plugin http://registry.gimp.org/node/33
provides a neat way to quickly experiment with different resolutions and
quality without having to keep modifying and saving the image.

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 13, 10:06*am, "John" wrote:
I have been tasked with putting some digital photos into a presentation - on
DVD to be presented on a digital projector. My only experience of doing this
was with a Microsoft package which seemed to reduce the image sharpness. Any
suggestions as to what I should try - preferably free software.

If the DVD player that the disk to be played on can display jpg files
then you just need to write them to a CD using WIndows own builtin
burning software.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

On 13/02/2010 12:21, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember
saying something like:

I have been tasked with putting some digital photos into a presentation - on
DVD to be presented on a digital projector. My only experience of doing this
was with a Microsoft package which seemed to reduce the image sharpness. Any
suggestions as to what I should try - preferably free software.

irfanview does a slideshow, but I've no idea how good it is.

Indeed it does.

For several years I did some simple presentations for someone - had to
be MS Powerpoint. The issues that this had where it produced gigantic
file sizes and could not display reliably were unbelievable. (More
recent versions were, I believe, somewhat better.) Standard trick was to
export it to a PDF. Displaying PDF presentations worked very well.
OpenOffice supports Export to PDF from Impress.

Used to include both the Powerpoint & the PDF on the CDs so they could
choose.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TheOldFellow" wrote in message
. ..
On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 10:06:37 -0000
"John" wrote:

Scan the negatives as TIF files, or pay someone to do it ... somebody
recently posted that there were people on eBay offering the service.

Much better than scanning the print.

Plenty of free tools to put these on DVD's ....

Or get them all scanned, and download a 30 day trial of one of the better
apps, and load them all onto DVD presentations in trial period.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:

I have been tasked with putting some digital photos into a presentation - on
DVD to be presented on a digital projector. My only experience of doing this
was with a Microsoft package which seemed to reduce the image sharpness. Any
suggestions as to what I should try - preferably free software.

iPhoto.

Of course you'll have to buy a proper computer as well.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 10:06:37 -0000, John wrote:

I have been tasked with putting some digital photos into a presentation
- on DVD to be presented on a digital projector.

More information required:

Is the DVD to be used just as a data transport medium, with playback
being from a PC/Laptop linked to the projector running software to
display a slideshow?

Does the DVD need to be played in a DVD domestic DVD player that
feeds the projector?

I'm currently building the latter with Windows Movie Maker (free)
it's basic but more or less does a competent job. Of course SD
television as in DVD is only 720×576 (0.5M pixels) so is bound to
look soft compared to an orginal 5 to 10 Mega pixel still.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 10:06:37 -0000, John wrote:

I have been tasked with putting some digital photos into a presentation
- on DVD to be presented on a digital projector.

More information required:

Is the DVD to be used just as a data transport medium, with playback
being from a PC/Laptop linked to the projector running software to
display a slideshow?

Does the DVD need to be played in a DVD domestic DVD player that
feeds the projector?

I'm currently building the latter with Windows Movie Maker (free)
it's basic but more or less does a competent job. Of course SD
television as in DVD is only 720×576 (0.5M pixels) so is bound to
look soft compared to an orginal 5 to 10 Mega pixel still.

--
Cheers
Dave.

I am expecting to need it to be PAL compatible as a TV will be the
fall-back. I have Movie Maker.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 16:21:09 -0000, John wrote:

I am expecting to need it to be PAL compatible as a TV will be the
fall-back. I have Movie Maker.

Movie Maker will do what you want provided you don't want anything to
clever or captions/titles in particular places. The positions and how
they come and go on screen appears to be fixed for each of the
options provided. For my project I'd love a caption type "title" that
fades in and out rather than the simple cut that the only provided
caption type does. There are loads of whizzy animations that should
never have seen the light of day but very few options on simple basic
titles/captions.

I've yet to try burning this particular project to DVD but the kids
have done things in the past succesfully and the DVD playing in the
doemstic DVD machine. The gotcha is forgetting to finalise the disc
so that ordinary players can play it.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Photos Tim W[_2_] UK diy 38 December 15th 09 08:23 PM
More photos steamer Metalworking 0 November 2nd 08 06:36 PM
My Photos annanalick Home Repair 0 February 4th 07 05:29 PM
Photos Grumpy owd man UK diy 18 January 31st 06 08:53 PM