Posted to uk.d-i-y
TheOldFellow TheOldFellow is offline

Default OT - Photos to DVD

On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 10:06:37 -0000
"John" wrote:

I have been tasked with putting some digital photos into a presentation - on
DVD to be presented on a digital projector. My only experience of doing this
was with a Microsoft package which seemed to reduce the image sharpness. Any
suggestions as to what I should try - preferably free software.

Microsoft Office Powerpoint and Openoffice (free) Impress can both
accept most formats of digital photos. If you don't already have
PowerPoint I would recommend the OpenOffice suite for this, there is
loads of free help available for it too. http://www.openoffice.org

When you say 'reduce the image sharpness' I suspect that this meant
that the image resolution was reduced or it was too heavily compressed.
JPGs for instance can be saved at various quality levels, which equates
to compression, and this does lead to a grainy appearance. Depends on
the number of pictures/slides to be put on the DVD, but I would expect
you could get an enormous presentation on one with very high
resolution images.

It's better to set the size of the images to match
the slides outside of the presentation package, rather than let it do
it's worst to scale your photos. I use Gimp for this.
http://www.gimp.org

R.