Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - Self Storage places

On a journey my daughter said - "Why are Self Store depots always painted
such bright colours? (Often yellow and blue)

I can't explain - they don't need to attract passing trade as I guess most
people will look for one from home using a directory.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 11, 7:19 pm, "John" wrote:
On a journey my daughter said - "Why are Self Store depots always painted
such bright colours? (Often yellow and blue)

I can't explain - they don't need to attract passing trade as I guess most
people will look for one from home using a directory.

to give a pseudo reassuring feel to punters who would be rightly
dubious of a typical grey block roller shuttered industrial unit
*purporting* to be "self storage innit mate phwoar wotcha got in ere
then"?

JimK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:

I can't explain - they don't need to attract passing trade as I guess most
people will look for one from home using a directory.

I think they might get some passing trade, actually. I can imagine
people with too much crap around the house driving past every day and
thinking "hmm, imagine how nice it would be if I had that space back..."

Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pete Verdon d gurgled
happily, sounding much like they were saying:

I can't explain - they don't need to attract passing trade as I guess
most people will look for one from home using a directory.

I think they might get some passing trade, actually. I can imagine
people with too much crap around the house driving past every day and
thinking "hmm, imagine how nice it would be if I had that space back..."

Think you've hit the nail on the head there.

Also, I suspect few people remember the names of the different chains, so
the colour is a really easy differentiator.

"Yeh, I go past one every day. Oh, bloody hell... Which one? The green
one..."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

They are not cheap :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/02/2010 20:52, Adrian wrote:

Also, I suspect few people remember the names of the different chains, so
the colour is a really easy differentiator.

"Yeh, I go past one every day. Oh, bloody hell... Which one? The green
one..."

Ah, the one with the lighthouse? Now what's that all about?

Meanwhile, I think this one looks quite hideous.

Wing Yip in Edgeware Rd, Cricklewood, NW London
http://static.panoramio.com/photos/o...l/29840535.jpg

What is it about commercial properties...

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Adrian C
writes
On 11/02/2010 20:52, Adrian wrote:

Also, I suspect few people remember the names of the different chains, so
the colour is a really easy differentiator.

"Yeh, I go past one every day. Oh, bloody hell... Which one? The green
one..."

Ah, the one with the lighthouse? Now what's that all about?

Meanwhile, I think this one looks quite hideous.

Wing Yip in Edgeware Rd, Cricklewood, NW London
http://static.panoramio.com/photos/o...l/29840535.jpg

What is it about commercial properties...

Leave it alone - its where I buy my durain from

I'd much rather a supermarket with a bit of colour and character than
another drab Tesco or Sainsburys
--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 11, 11:00*pm, geoff wrote:
In message , Adrian C
writes

On 11/02/2010 20:52, Adrian wrote:

Also, I suspect few people remember the names of the different chains, so
the colour is a really easy differentiator.

"Yeh, I go past one every day. Oh, bloody hell... Which one? The green
one..."

Ah, the one with the lighthouse? Now what's that all about?

Meanwhile, I think this one looks quite hideous.

Wing Yip in Edgeware Rd, Cricklewood, NW London
http://static.panoramio.com/photos/o...l/29840535.jpg

What is it about commercial properties...

Leave it alone - its where I buy my durain from

I'd much rather a supermarket with a bit of colour and character than
another drab Tesco or Sainsburys

Durian? You are brave

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
On a journey my daughter said - "Why are Self Store depots always
painted such bright colours? (Often yellow and blue)

I can't explain - they don't need to attract passing trade as I guess
most people will look for one from home using a directory.

Then you would guess wrong :-)

People shop from their memories, not directories. Directories are a last
resort when memory fails - reactive marketing.

Bright colours, a decent logo and a highly visible presence lock into
peoples memories - pro active marketing.

I spent £150 on having my logo designed by a professional graphic artist and
nearly £400 on having my van signwritten. I get more work from that than
any other form of advertising. Over 5 years thats dirt cheap advertising.

Most common comment "I see your vans all over the place". I only have one
:-)

Anyone considering self storage will first think "there's that place on XYZ
Road" and go there.

Directories also list all your competitors, inviting price comparisons,
which is why I don't advertise in any of them. They are yesterdays papers.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
om...
John wrote:
[...]

Sounds good Dave - although I am still a bit mystified as to why they all
seem to have developed the same level of garishness - painting every square
inch in a bright colour. I guess your van is a bit more tasteful.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 02:08:59 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

I spent £150 on having my logo designed by a professional graphic artist and
nearly £400 on having my van signwritten. I get more work from that than
any other form of advertising. Over 5 years thats dirt cheap advertising.

Most common comment "I see your vans all over the place". I only have one
:-)

My dirt cheap advertising was renting a panel on the back of a bus.

My retail shop had the advantage of being located on a very busy road
leading to the town centre with seven or eight bus routes stopping
just outside. I found that, when I was delivering to customers and
battling through the traffic, I spent a lot of time queuing behind
buses and the idea of advertising on them suddenly occurred to me.

It cost me £120 a year for a space on the engine cover and that
included all the artwork, based on a rough layout I supplied.

It was a great success. The advert was at just above eye level so
anyone in the first two or three cars behind the bus good a good view
of it. Quite a few new customers said they had seen my advert on the
buses - we always asked people why they had chosen us over other,
similar businesses. They thought I had adverts on more than one bus -
I asked several customers to guess how many and the lowest guess was
three. But it was only one!

As you say, cheap advertising.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Feb 2010 20:52:27 GMT, Adrian wrote:

Also, I suspect few people remember the names of the different chains, so
the colour is a really easy differentiator.

I can recall two names:

Red Storage and Big Yellow Storage.

;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
On a journey my daughter said - "Why are Self Store depots always
painted such bright colours? (Often yellow and blue)

I can't explain - they don't need to attract passing trade as I guess
most people will look for one from home using a directory.

Then you would guess wrong :-)

People shop from their memories, not directories. Directories are a last
resort when memory fails - reactive marketing.

Bright colours, a decent logo and a highly visible presence lock into
peoples memories - pro active marketing.

I spent £150 on having my logo designed by a professional graphic artist
and nearly £400 on having my van signwritten. I get more work from that
than any other form of advertising. Over 5 years thats dirt cheap
advertising.

Most common comment "I see your vans all over the place". I only have one
:-)

I still have customers that say that they have seen my vans:-) Odd that my
van is a white van with NO signage on it at all.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
, NT
writes
On Feb 11, 11:00*pm, geoff wrote:
In message , Adrian C
writes

On 11/02/2010 20:52, Adrian wrote:

Also, I suspect few people remember the names of the different chains, so
the colour is a really easy differentiator.

"Yeh, I go past one every day. Oh, bloody hell... Which one? The green
one..."

Ah, the one with the lighthouse? Now what's that all about?

Meanwhile, I think this one looks quite hideous.

Wing Yip in Edgeware Rd, Cricklewood, NW London
http://static.panoramio.com/photos/o...l/29840535.jpg

What is it about commercial properties...

Leave it alone - its where I buy my durain from

I'd much rather a supermarket with a bit of colour and character than
another drab Tesco or Sainsburys

Durian? You are brave

Nah - its lovely

It just has a bad name with those who prefer the bland and tasteless

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/02/2010 01:27, NT wrote:
On Feb 11, 11:00 pm, wrote:

Wing Yip in Edgeware Rd, Cricklewood, NW London
http://static.panoramio.com/photos/o...l/29840535.jpg

What is it about commercial properties...

Leave it alone - its where I buy my durain from

I'd much rather a supermarket with a bit of colour and character than
another drab Tesco or Sainsburys

Durian? You are brave

I've never tried it, though in Wing Yip it does pong a bit. Hmmmm, might
drive over tomorrow and get some ...

.... and then perhaps torch the car, as that might be impossible to sell
later.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durian

:-)

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Adrian C
writes
On 12/02/2010 01:27, NT wrote:
On Feb 11, 11:00 pm, wrote:

Wing Yip in Edgeware Rd, Cricklewood, NW London
http://static.panoramio.com/photos/o...l/29840535.jpg

What is it about commercial properties...

Leave it alone - its where I buy my durain from

I'd much rather a supermarket with a bit of colour and character than
another drab Tesco or Sainsburys

Durian? You are brave

I've never tried it, though in Wing Yip it does pong a bit. Hmmmm,
might drive over tomorrow and get some ...

... and then perhaps torch the car, as that might be impossible to sell
later.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durian

Don't be such a gurl

It has the most delicious rich creamy taste imaginable

Just don't listen to the negative comments by the golden delicious
appreciation society

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember geoff saying
something like:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durian

Don't be such a gurl

It has the most delicious rich creamy taste imaginable

Just don't listen to the negative comments by the golden delicious
appreciation society

I'll give it a miss, thanks.

"... its odor is best described as pig-****, turpentine and onions,
garnished with a gym sock. "

"Other comparisons have been made with the civet, sewage, stale vomit,
skunk spray and used surgical swabs."

"Its taste can only be described as...indescribable, something you will
either love or despise. ...Your breath will smell as if you'd been
French-kissing your dead grandmother."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian C wrote:

I've never tried it, though in Wing Yip it does pong a bit. Hmmmm, might
drive over tomorrow and get some ...

It doesn't pong as much as the "Blachen Dried Shrimp Powder" or the
squashed wind dried duck. And from what I recall it's nowhere near the
assault on the senses of the dried salted prunes.

Hmm, two things I miss from M/C the Woo Sang and Wing Yip.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Grimly
Curmudgeon writes
drugs began to take hold. I remember geoff saying
something like:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durian

Don't be such a gurl

It has the most delicious rich creamy taste imaginable

Just don't listen to the negative comments by the golden delicious
appreciation society

I'll give it a miss, thanks.

"... its odor is best described as pig-****, turpentine and onions,
garnished with a gym sock. "

"Other comparisons have been made with the civet, sewage, stale vomit,
skunk spray and used surgical swabs."

"Its taste can only be described as...indescribable, something you will
either love or despise. ...Your breath will smell as if you'd been
French-kissing your dead grandmother."

You could always stick to your good old irish praties

you could have Maris Piper on Monday, Disiree on tuesday, Osprey on
Wednesday,

you could boil them, mash them, bake them ... the possibilities are
endless

Like I said - the golden delicious brigade - how many of these ****wits
have ever travelled more than two miles down the road on a 276 from
their bedsit in Hackney ?

The original bad reference to durian was IIRC in the lonely planet guide
to SE Asia some 30 years ago

Since then, it seems that the sort of crap journos who describe wiring
as "spaghetti" seem to have jumped on the bandwagon - they've prolly
never seen one let alone smelt or tasted one

FFS Dave don't go dennis on us

Now, a gold star for anyone who can find that video of some eejut in
Thailand trying to head one (in the football sense) on the web

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon
wibbled on Saturday 13 February 2010 12:48

"Its taste can only be described as...indescribable, something you will
either love or despise. ...Your breath will smell as if you'd been
French-kissing your dead grandmother."

So a bit of an aquired taste then, like Guinness?

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Watts
writes
Grimly Curmudgeon
wibbled on Saturday 13 February 2010 12:48

"Its taste can only be described as...indescribable, something you will
either love or despise. ...Your breath will smell as if you'd been
French-kissing your dead grandmother."

So a bit of an aquired taste then, like Guinness?

One has to ask how he knows how your breath smells after you've been
french kissing your dead grandmother

GC - where did this quote come from ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:

On a journey my daughter said - "Why are Self Store depots always painted
such bright colours? (Often yellow and blue)

Umm the self storage depot that I use is bland, anonymous and grey. It
doesn't even have a sign outside stating its purpose.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve Firth" wrote in message
. ..
John wrote:

On a journey my daughter said - "Why are Self Store depots always painted
such bright colours? (Often yellow and blue)

Umm the self storage depot that I use is bland, anonymous and grey. It
doesn't even have a sign outside stating its purpose.

What's with the umm that you make before all your repies?

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , Grimly
Curmudgeon writes
[...]

Wot?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember geoff saying
something like:

In message , Tim Watts
writes
Grimly Curmudgeon
wibbled on Saturday 13 February 2010 12:48

"Its taste can only be described as...indescribable, something you will
either love or despise. ...Your breath will smell as if you'd been
French-kissing your dead grandmother."

So a bit of an aquired taste then, like Guinness?

One has to ask how he knows how your breath smells after you've been
french kissing your dead grandmother

GC - where did this quote come from ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durian#Flavour_and_odour

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Tim Watts saying
something like:

Grimly Curmudgeon
wibbled on Saturday 13 February 2010 12:48

"Its taste can only be described as...indescribable, something you will
either love or despise. ...Your breath will smell as if you'd been
French-kissing your dead grandmother."

So a bit of an aquired taste then, like Guinness?

Horrible, some days. Guinness varies wildly, depending on how it's
stored, who stored it and transported it, and the bar in which it's
served and whether the barman/woman had a shag the previous night.

Sometimes, it's lovely.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Medway
Handyman writes
geoff wrote:
In message , Grimly
Curmudgeon writes
[...]

Telling GC not to go wimp

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Grimly
Curmudgeon writes
drugs began to take hold. I remember geoff saying
something like:

In message , Tim Watts
writes
Grimly Curmudgeon
wibbled on Saturday 13 February 2010 12:48

"Its taste can only be described as...indescribable, something you will
either love or despise. ...Your breath will smell as if you'd been
French-kissing your dead grandmother."

So a bit of an aquired taste then, like Guinness?

One has to ask how he knows how your breath smells after you've been
french kissing your dead grandmother

GC - where did this quote come from ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durian#Flavour_and_odour

What a load if wank

Yes it has a strong smell, so does stilton cheese

Does it smell of **** , sewars etc ? No it doesn't

Does it taste good ? well, even in SE Asia you'd expect to pay over a
fiver for one fruit, £20+ over here. Would people buy at that price if
it wasn't special

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Grimly
Curmudgeon writes
drugs began to take hold. I remember Tim Watts saying
something like:

Grimly Curmudgeon
wibbled on Saturday 13 February 2010 12:48

"Its taste can only be described as...indescribable, something you will
either love or despise. ...Your breath will smell as if you'd been
French-kissing your dead grandmother."

So a bit of an aquired taste then, like Guinness?

Horrible, some days. Guinness varies wildly, depending on how it's
stored, who stored it and transported it, and the bar in which it's
served and whether the barman/woman had a shag the previous night.

I wondered why the head was so thick ...

Sometimes, it's lovely.

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

What's with the umm that you make before all your repies?

Umm, what's it matter?

Been on your angry juice again?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

What's with the umm that you make before all your repies?

Umm, what's it matter?

Been on your angry juice again?

No, just checking that you have not turned into Frank Spencer. He used to
say Umm before he spoke.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , The
Medway Handyman writes
geoff wrote:
In message , Grimly
Curmudgeon writes
We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when
the drugs began to take hold. I remember geoff
saying something like:

[...]

Is GC's real name Dave?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Medway
Handyman writes
geoff wrote:
In message , The
Medway Handyman writes
geoff wrote:
[...]

Grimly - speak up ...

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian C wrote:
On 11/02/2010 20:52, Adrian wrote:

Also, I suspect few people remember the names of the different chains,
so the colour is a really easy differentiator.

"Yeh, I go past one every day. Oh, bloody hell... Which one? The green
one..."

Ah, the one with the lighthouse? Now what's that all about?

Meanwhile, I think this one looks quite hideous.

Wing Yip in Edgeware Rd, Cricklewood, NW London
http://static.panoramio.com/photos/o...l/29840535.jpg

What is it about commercial properties...

That looks brill, I'd love to have an office there!

TOURIST PLACES HOLYPLACE Home Repair 0 April 20th 08 12:51 PM
PRIVATE PLACES Hint Home Repair 1 December 9th 07 02:52 PM
Fire places George UK diy 1 November 5th 07 05:15 PM
TRAVELLING PLACES Moci Arane[_2_] Home Repair 0 July 25th 07 08:45 AM
Furniture storage places bruce phipps UK diy 2 June 14th 04 07:07 PM