Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ant ant is offline

Default 1 1/14" threaded extension for basin waste ?

so, I was lining up a bidet and basin today..problem I had was the
outgoing waste was a few metres from the stack so at the point where
the bidet is needed, the waste pipe needs to be about midway up the
joist line to give enough fall (joists run perpendicular to bidet).
Coupled with that, I wanted to hide the pipe work by dropping it
straight under the bidet but there's a joist running underneath also.
Decided that a pedestal trap would do the trick (it also needed to be
antivac) and nipped out. Fitting this, I realised that as it was so
tall, it would mean the outgoing waste would be below the height it
needed to get a decent drop, however I noticed the distance I needed
to 'loose' was pretty similar to the exposed thread on the chrome
waste fitting so lopped 20mm off the waste fitting and
refitted...everything fitted back together but the final height was
unfortunetly still too low for a decent drop on the outgoing
waste..and short of raising the bidet up on a plinth this idea wasn't
going to work.

Back to the trap...I found an antivac bottle trap that fitted in the
cavity without the A/V valve fowling on the underside of the bidet and
figured out I could point the output back under the bidet to hide it,
then route hte waste down and back forward under the bottle to the
waste beneath the boards...having set the position of the bidet I then
found I actually had enough space to clear the difficult joist and
drop the ouput straight down (after re-routing the outgoing waste with
a little offset)...job done ! that'll work, hiding the waste, and
getting much more drop.

I then moved onto the Basin. first things first...basin waste....basin
waste...hmmm...DOH ! I was left with a nice pop up waste in the
box..and realised I'd fitted the basin waste in the bidet ;-( after a
little panic fitting the 'much larger pop up waste' to the bidet and
finding (phew!) I still had enough clearance to make the drop I then
fitted the basin waste (remember I'd cut that down right ?)...backnut
fitted fine..but oh no....you guessed it...not enough tail left to
tighten the pedestal trap home....

so my question ! any thoughts on how I could perhaps 'extend' the 1
1/4" chrome tail of the 35 quid basin waste ? It was a BC Sanitan
basin waste (although included free in my order)...I wonder whether
any old 10-20 quid chrome waste is any different really....maybe it's
the plug and chain that make it 35 quid ?!

I was hoping there'd be a threaded female coupling I could PTFE onto
the remaining tail and then screw the cut off bit into that....

Ant.