Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Repairing potholes - how?

dennis@home wrote:

"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message
news
drugs began to take hold. I remember "dennis@home"
saying something like:

Does a wheel actually move much in the ~0.01 seconds they are over
the pot
hole?

lets see..

250 kg force
50 kg unsprung weight
about 5G acceleration

gives about 2.5 cm of vertical movement on the wheel

I would expect no damage at all unless its a really silly profile tyre.

4" deep by 2' long pothole a couple of weeks ago, hit at 40mph.
Bent the edge of the steel rim fitted with a commercial van tyre of very
non-silly profile. I haven't taken the tyre off the rim yet to inspect
internal damage, but I'd not be surprised if it's busted something. In
the meantime that tyre/wheel is sitting in the garage pending
inspection.

Ah well twice the length and half the speed so at least 4 times the
travel time.
Also a higher loading so greater acceleration.
Probably just got to 4" depth when it hit the side.

PS. nobody spotted the original error.. the acceleration should have
been +1G as I forgot gravity.
Gives a drop of about 3cm so not much difference.

How many cars have only 250kG per wheel? Can't say I'm convinced the
unsprung weight is that high either. OTOH the shocks should slow it
down... I still go around them. Except the ones the guy in the paper
the other day called "Pothills"

Andy

OT - Potholes in roads John UK diy 19 April 21st 09 10:35 PM
Need help repairing TV [email protected] Electronics Repair 8 June 13th 06 08:14 AM
repairing an APC UPS Luke Siemaszko Electronics Repair 9 May 7th 05 07:01 AM
FRS repairing. user Electronics Repair 4 August 27th 04 02:06 AM
Repairing a CD RW Jose Capco Electronics Repair 3 August 12th 04 05:34 PM