Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cigarette lighter problems - a bit OT?

I have a cigarette lighter socket which has stopped working after refitting
a replacement plug from Maplin onto one gadget.

Fuse is OK, cigarette lighter works (gets hot) and I have power at the
bottom contact according to DVM. Also checked that the centre and
associated contacts can supply a handsome current.

But when I fit in an appliance with a cigarette plug, I don't get any power
to the appliance. Have tried a few!

Any ideas as I feel a bit stumped?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fredxx" wrote in message
I have a cigarette lighter socket which has stopped working after refitting
a replacement plug from Maplin onto one gadget.

Fuse is OK, cigarette lighter works (gets hot) and I have power at the
bottom contact according to DVM. Also checked that the centre and
associated contacts can supply a handsome current.

But when I fit in an appliance with a cigarette plug, I don't get any
power to the appliance. Have tried a few!

Any ideas as I feel a bit stumped?

It seems that 3 things happened.

1 The fuse went in the sat-nav cigarette plug.
2 The in car mobile phone charger seems to be u/s.
3 I'm convinced the new replacement plug doesn't make contact, though can't
see why.

Change fuse in sat-nav and it works!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , "Fredxx" wrote:

I have a cigarette lighter socket which has stopped working after refitting
a replacement plug from Maplin onto one gadget.

Fuse is OK, cigarette lighter works (gets hot) and I have power at the
bottom contact according to DVM. Also checked that the centre and
associated contacts can supply a handsome current.

But when I fit in an appliance with a cigarette plug, I don't get any power
to the appliance. Have tried a few!

Any ideas as I feel a bit stumped?

Well they were intended to work only as a cigarette lighter...

Is the plug you're using long enough? I've had ones with a charger in
the end that, due to the bulge housing the electronics, wouldn't go far
enough into the socket in the car to make a reliable connection to the
centre contact.

Alternatively, check the side springs are strong enough so the plug
isn't pushed back out by the centre contact spring. That makes the
centre contact intermittent.

Check the socket doesn't have insulated parts at the side, where the
side contacts slide, i.e. try putting the plug in 90deg rotated.

I wish we had a proper, well designed battery power connector in cars...

--
John W
I you want to mail me, replace the obvious with co.uk twice
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Weston" wrote in message
In article , "Fredxx" wrote:

[...]

Having a decent connection with some polyfuse protection would be nice!

The mobile phone charger had a o/c surface mount fuse. Naughtily shorted it
out and it now works! At least the socket is dependant on the ignition
switch so not overly bothered from a safety POV.

It's worrying that 2 items with their fuses blown. No bulbs gone or any
other indication of overvoltage.