Posted to alt.home.repair

Default where to buy lighter fluid?

do any drugstore chains still sell lighter fluid? I asked at CVS
yesterday and they recommended a tobacconist's, but I'm guessing that's
a waste of time, as wouldn't someone who likes good cigars/pipe tobacco
be using wood matches rather than a Zippo?

I'd really just like to have some for cleaning small stains in
upholstery, but it seems quite hard to find. And I'm guessing that it
can't be mail ordered

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:
do any drugstore chains still sell lighter fluid? I asked at CVS
yesterday and they recommended a tobacconist's, but I'm guessing that's
a waste of time, as wouldn't someone who likes good cigars/pipe tobacco
be using wood matches rather than a Zippo?

I'd really just like to have some for cleaning small stains in
upholstery, but it seems quite hard to find. And I'm guessing that it
can't be mail ordered

nate

FWIW, Here is one site that ships via UPS

http://netlighters.stores.yahoo.net/zipligfluid.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:
do any drugstore chains still sell lighter fluid? I asked at CVS
yesterday and they recommended a tobacconist's, but I'm guessing that's
a waste of time, as wouldn't someone who likes good cigars/pipe tobacco
be using wood matches rather than a Zippo?

I'd really just like to have some for cleaning small stains in
upholstery, but it seems quite hard to find. And I'm guessing that it
can't be mail ordered

nate

You could also use naptha paint thinner. Essentially the same stuff.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 10, 12:17*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
do any drugstore chains still sell lighter fluid? *I asked at CVS
yesterday and they recommended a tobacconist's, but I'm guessing that's
a waste of time, as wouldn't someone who likes good cigars/pipe tobacco
be using wood matches rather than a Zippo?

I'd really just like to have some for cleaning small stains in
upholstery, but it seems quite hard to find. *And I'm guessing that it
can't be mail ordered

Any hardware store will carry it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 10, 9:17*am, Nate Nagel wrote:
do any drugstore chains still sell lighter fluid? *I asked at CVS
yesterday and they recommended a tobacconist's, but I'm guessing that's
a waste of time, as wouldn't someone who likes good cigars/pipe tobacco
be using wood matches rather than a Zippo?

I'd really just like to have some for cleaning small stains in
upholstery, but it seems quite hard to find. *And I'm guessing that it
can't be mail ordered

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

http://www.zippocasemuseum.com/index...productdetails

they changed the formulation to "reduce odor & lessen possible skin
irritation", at least that's the party line, who knows? maybe
the EPA or air pollution considerations

you could try various naphthas, which are the "catch all name" for a
general group of different flammable liquid mixtures of hydrocarbons

lighter ones (lower molecular weight / density) are probably what you
want....lighter fluids being towards the lighter end and hopefully
with the fewest impurities

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote:
do any drugstore chains still sell lighter fluid? I asked at CVS
yesterday and they recommended a tobacconist's, but I'm guessing that's
a waste of time, as wouldn't someone who likes good cigars/pipe tobacco
be using wood matches rather than a Zippo?

I'd really just like to have some for cleaning small stains in
upholstery, but it seems quite hard to find. And I'm guessing that it
can't be mail ordered

nate

My hubby buys at tobacconist.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mineral spirits
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote in news:gu71ng$v8f$3
@news.motzarella.org:

Nate Nagel wrote:
do any drugstore chains still sell lighter fluid? I asked at CVS
yesterday and they recommended a tobacconist's, but I'm guessing that's
a waste of time, as wouldn't someone who likes good cigars/pipe tobacco
be using wood matches rather than a Zippo?

I'd really just like to have some for cleaning small stains in
upholstery, but it seems quite hard to find. And I'm guessing that it
can't be mail ordered

nate

You could also use naptha paint thinner. Essentially the same stuff.

It's exactly the same as naptha. Look at the contents of a container of
lighter fluid - Contents: naptha.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel wrote in news:gu6umq02ib6
@news1.newsguy.com:

do any drugstore chains still sell lighter fluid? I asked at CVS
yesterday and they recommended a tobacconist's, but I'm guessing that's
a waste of time, as wouldn't someone who likes good cigars/pipe tobacco
be using wood matches rather than a Zippo?

I'd really just like to have some for cleaning small stains in
upholstery, but it seems quite hard to find. And I'm guessing that it
can't be mail ordered

nate

I can still get it just about anywhere, even Walmart.

Around here, since it classified as a smoking related item, it's often kept
on shelves behind the counter with things like cigars, Bics, etc. Depends
on how anal it is where you live.

Posted to alt.home.repair

RicodJour wrote:
On May 10, 12:17 pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
do any drugstore chains still sell lighter fluid? I asked at CVS
yesterday and they recommended a tobacconist's, but I'm guessing that's
a waste of time, as wouldn't someone who likes good cigars/pipe tobacco
be using wood matches rather than a Zippo?

I'd really just like to have some for cleaning small stains in
upholstery, but it seems quite hard to find. And I'm guessing that it
can't be mail ordered

Any hardware store will carry it.

My local hardware store told me to try CVS. CVS told me to try the
hardware store. I left neither with lighter fluid in my possession.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Nate Nagel wrote:

My local hardware store told me to try CVS. CVS told me to try the
hardware store. I left neither with lighter fluid in my possession.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 May 2009 14:27:38 -0400, Nate Nagel
wrote:

My local hardware store told me to try CVS. CVS told me to try the
hardware store. I left neither with lighter fluid in my possession.

I have a small collection of Zippo lighters. Check out the site for a
location near you.

http://www.zippo.com/index.aspx?bhcp=1

Zippo lighter fluid.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Red Green writes:

You could also use naptha paint thinner. Essentially the same stuff.

It's exactly the same as naptha. Look at the contents of a container of
lighter fluid - Contents: naptha.

Yeah, but not all naptha is the same chemically. Naptha isn't a single
pure substance; it's a soup of several different hydrocarbons that all
have relatively low boiling points, and come off the distillation column
in the refinery near each other. If you're just going to burn it, it's
probably all pretty much equivalent, but if you're using it as a
solvent, you may care what it is chemically.

My own experience is that "lighter fluid" naptha and "paint thinner"
naptha are both pretty good are removing the adhesive from sticky
labels, while not attacking most plastics (at least over the span of a
minute or so). While "camping fuel" naptha is a lot more aggressive at
dissolving some plastics; I don't recommend it for sticky labels.

When I'm doing something particularly sensitive to contamination, like
cleaning gunk off a lens when water plus detergent (lens cleaner) and
alcohol won't touch it, I tend to use Ronsonol lighter fluid. It
evaporates with no residue.

You can often buy Xylene from the same shelves as generic "paint
thinner", and that's a well-defined single chemical compound no matter
who makes it. But it's a pretty strong solvent, and has a strong smell
too, so I avoid it when I can.

Dave

Posted to alt.home.repair

(Dave Martindale) wrote in
:

Red Green writes:

[...]

Long winded version of exactly what you quoted. It's f'n lighter fluid.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 10, 11:17*am, Nate Nagel wrote:
do any drugstore chains still sell lighter fluid? *I asked at CVS
yesterday and they recommended a tobacconist's, but I'm guessing that's
a waste of time, as wouldn't someone who likes good cigars/pipe tobacco
be using wood matches rather than a Zippo?

I'd really just like to have some for cleaning small stains in
upholstery, but it seems quite hard to find. *And I'm guessing that it
can't be mail ordered

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

If all else fails...try Coleman stove fuel. But be REAL carefull!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

On May 10, 12:17*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
do any drugstore chains still sell lighter fluid? *I asked at CVS
yesterday and they recommended a tobacconist's, but I'm guessing that's
a waste of time, as wouldn't someone who likes good cigars/pipe tobacco
be using wood matches rather than a Zippo?

I'd really just like to have some for cleaning small stains in
upholstery, but it seems quite hard to find. *And I'm guessing that it
can't be mail ordered

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Walmart carries it near the tobacco section. Usually it's by one
register, down real low at floor level.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 11, 6:58*am, Pat wrote:
On May 10, 12:17*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:

do any drugstore chains still sell lighter fluid? *I asked at CVS
yesterday and they recommended a tobacconist's, but I'm guessing that's
a waste of time, as wouldn't someone who likes good cigars/pipe tobacco
be using wood matches rather than a Zippo?

I'd really just like to have some for cleaning small stains in
upholstery, but it seems quite hard to find. *And I'm guessing that it
can't be mail ordered

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Walmart carries it near the tobacco section. *Usually it's by one
register, down real low at floor level.

I always got it at the grocery store. Making a trip there today and
will look to see if things related to smoking have changed that much.
Of course the old type lighters using that stuff are probably getting
pretty rare as the butane ones are so much more convenient.

I would also suspect that barbecue starter fluid is probably the same
stuff.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair
k k is offline

Pat wrote:
On May 10, 12:17 pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
do any drugstore chains still sell lighter fluid? I asked at CVS
yesterday and they recommended a tobacconist's, but I'm guessing
that's a waste of time, as wouldn't someone who likes good
cigars/pipe tobacco be using wood matches rather than a Zippo?

I'd really just like to have some for cleaning small stains in
upholstery, but it seems quite hard to find. And I'm guessing that it
can't be mail ordered

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Walmart carries it near the tobacco section. Usually it's by one
register, down real low at floor level.

Supermarkets also sell it - look in the vicinity of the cigarettes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 10, 12:17*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
do any drugstore chains still sell lighter fluid? *I asked at CVS
yesterday and they recommended a tobacconist's, but I'm guessing that's
a waste of time, as wouldn't someone who likes good cigars/pipe tobacco
be using wood matches rather than a Zippo?

I'd really just like to have some for cleaning small stains in
upholstery, but it seems quite hard to find. *And I'm guessing that it
can't be mail ordered

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Despite what others have suggested (hardware stores, supermarkets,
etc) I too have been finding it harder and harder to find Zippo and
Rosignol (sp?) in my area. I tried a tobacco shop and the price was
ridiculous, especially for the amounts I use.

My last purchase was from the following site. Any order of three or
more 12oz cans, including shipping, gets the per-ounce price below
anything I can find locally - and I don't have to drive all over town.
I'm ready to place my next order...

http://www.uptownenterprises.com/Zip...46.aspx?AFID=1