Junior Member

Default down lighter how to wire in

I have searched the forum but cant seem to get an any anvice on how to wire them.
Ok so im a bit new to DIY but I am keen.
So set of 5 down lighter wired in By
. Removed ceiling rose replaced with junction box then gone from light to light "daisy chain" I belive.
. Using 16amp conectors think they are called chop blocks wraped them in insulating tape.
Tied the earth have not run the earth from light to light as no way of doing this and also the instructions on the lights said no need.
. someone told me that you have to use junction boxs for each and every conection ?
Is this nesicary?
The circuit is far from over loaded.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Owain
writes
bwell wrote:
I have searched the forum but cant seem to get an any anvice on how to
wire them.
Ok so im a bit new to DIY but I am keen.
So set of 5 down lighter wired in By .. Removed ceiling rose
replaced with junction box then gone from light
to light "daisy chain" I belive.

okay (I think)

Are these mains downlighters or a transformer set?

.. Using 16amp conectors think they are called chop blocks wraped them
in insulating tape.

choc blocks should not need wrapping in insulating tape but they MUST
be used within a non-combustible enclosure eg a junction box.
Insulation tape is not an acceptable substitute.

You can get little plastic boxes to clip contain choc blocks:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CHOCBOX.html

Neater, but a basic junction box is cheaper.

Tied the earth have not run the earth from light to light as no way of
doing this and also the instructions on the lights said no need.

You MUST continue the earth to all lights you have fitted as well as to
existing lights further down the circuit. Even if the lights are
'double insulated' the earth (circuit protective conductor) in the
cable MUST be connected.

For 12V downlighters?

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
chris French writes:
You can get little plastic boxes to clip contain choc blocks:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CHOCBOX.html

Neater, but a basic junction box is cheaper.

and non-combustable. I have used a number of these plastic boxes
(think I got them from B&Q or CPC), but only for 12V signal wiring.
I would not use them for permanent mains wiring.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 20:55:00 +0100 someone who may be bwell
wrote this:-

I have searched the forum but cant seem to get an any anvice on how to
wire them.

Really.

So set of 5 down lighter

Mains or a lower voltage?

wired in By

?

Removed ceiling rose replaced with junction box

Is this mounted above the ceiling?

then gone from light to light "daisy chain" I belive.

In the UK it is called a radial circuit.

What sort of cable have you used for this?

Using 16amp conectors think they are called chop blocks wraped them
in insulating tape.

Assuming they are mains, remove them and replace with junction
boxes.

Tied the earth

To what?

have not run the earth from light to light as no way of
doing this

It can (and should) be run between the junction boxes.

someone told me that you have to use junction boxs for each and
every conection ?

I would listen to them. They probably know more than you do.

The circuit is far from over loaded.

How have you worked this out? From your posting it seems that you
don't have enough knowledge to decide this.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 20:55:00 +0100, bwell wrote:

I have searched the forum

If you mean uk.diy, then its a newsgroup, not a forum.

Junior Member

David you are clearly a troubled man imagine spending your time coming to a D.I.Y furom and
haveing such an atitude everyone else seemed happy to help .
You on the other hand seem to think that to have an attiude is the way to go .
You are claearly a very sad looser in deed.
DONT chat on my thread again sad man go away.
Find a forum called Get David to do it. other than do it your self.

Any way thanks for the advice from everyone else
Im going to run through junction boxs and run the earth from box to box.
One other question ??
The ceiling rose had only two wires going into it one for the switch and one live cable
is this normal ? is this because its the last in the chain ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 22:41:33 +0100 someone who may be bwell
wrote this:-

You are claearly a very sad looser in deed.
DONT chat on my thread again sad man go away.
Find a forum called Get David to do it. other than do it your self.

Yawn. Personal attacks as well as bad spelling.

I note that you were unwilling or unable to answer any of the
questions I asked.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Senior Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwell
David you are clearly a troubled man imagine spending your time coming to a D.I.Y furom and
haveing such an atitude everyone else seemed happy to help .
You on the other hand seem to think that to have an attiude is the way to go .
You are claearly a very sad looser in deed.
DONT chat on my thread again sad man go away.
Find a forum called Get David to do it. other than do it your self.

Any way thanks for the advice from everyone else
Im going to run through junction boxs and run the earth from box to box.
One other question ??
The ceiling rose had only two wires going into it one for the switch and one live cable
is this normal ? is this because its the last in the chain ?
Probably/more than likely. Still, it makes it simpler!
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordless Crazy
Probably/more than likely. Still, it makes it simpler!

Ta

cordles

David Hansen.

Must have made ur day someone new to argue with on the internet.
Well what if I cant answer the questions you asked?
Thats why Im here.
The cable is 10amp twin and earth
were else would a ceiling rose be ?
the bearth is just terimnated in the box.
5amp fuse 10amp wire 20amp junction boxs only 500watts on the circuit soon to be 650
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 23:50:41 +0100 someone who may be bwell
wrote this:-

Must have made ur day someone new to argue with on the internet.

Yawn. Even more personal attacks.

Well what if I cant answer the questions you asked?

Then it may be difficult to go further.

The cable is 10amp twin and earth

Cable is measured by the area of the conductors. How much current a
particular area can carry depends on the method of construction and
installation and the conditions.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Junior Member

You all forgot to tell me that the lights will need heat sheilds /fire stops behind them.
Aparently because I am breaking a fire barrier.

David ....... you nob (personal attack)

It says 16amp lighting circuit cable on the pack 240v
It also says 1.00 mm2

Why not .035 wire in 115V MIG? Eric R Snow Metalworking 10 May 14th 06 12:44 AM
iron wire WIND Metalworking 0 April 19th 06 09:56 AM
Technique: wire preparation for a terminal block Zak Electronics Repair 12 March 21st 06 09:47 PM
Repairing Lightning Damaged Tv's CJ Electronics Repair 20 June 22nd 04 06:03 AM
replacing old non-grounded (2 prong) electric receptacles David Jensen Home Repair 27 August 26th 03 12:14 AM