Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Weston John Weston is offline

Default Cigarette lighter problems - a bit OT?

In article , "Fredxx" wrote:

I have a cigarette lighter socket which has stopped working after refitting
a replacement plug from Maplin onto one gadget.

Fuse is OK, cigarette lighter works (gets hot) and I have power at the
bottom contact according to DVM. Also checked that the centre and
associated contacts can supply a handsome current.

But when I fit in an appliance with a cigarette plug, I don't get any power
to the appliance. Have tried a few!

Any ideas as I feel a bit stumped?

Well they were intended to work only as a cigarette lighter...

Is the plug you're using long enough? I've had ones with a charger in
the end that, due to the bulge housing the electronics, wouldn't go far
enough into the socket in the car to make a reliable connection to the
centre contact.

Alternatively, check the side springs are strong enough so the plug
isn't pushed back out by the centre contact spring. That makes the
centre contact intermittent.

Check the socket doesn't have insulated parts at the side, where the
side contacts slide, i.e. try putting the plug in 90deg rotated.

I wish we had a proper, well designed battery power connector in cars...

--
John W
I you want to mail me, replace the obvious with co.uk twice