Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - Daft word being painted on vans.

Have you noticed the increase of the word "Solutions" on company names.

Examples spotted today:

Washroom Solutions = Bog cleaning contractor

Transport Solutions = Van Hire

Mobility Solutions = Supplier of Mobility Scooters

Office Solutions = Furniture

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 29, 2:45*pm, "John" wrote:
Have you noticed the increase of the word "Solutions" on company names.

Examples spotted today:

Washroom Solutions = Bog cleaning contractor

Transport Solutions = Van Hire

Mobility Solutions = Supplier of Mobility Scooters

Office Solutions = Furniture

A bit like "logistics" appearing on delivery vans a few years ago.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Thus spake John ) unto the assembled multitudes:
Have you noticed the increase of the word "Solutions" on company names.
Examples spotted today:
Washroom Solutions = Bog cleaning contractor
Transport Solutions = Van Hire
Mobility Solutions = Supplier of Mobility Scooters
Office Solutions = Furniture

Private Eye lampooned this idiotic practice for some time.

I don't think it's used so much in company names; it seems to be used more
summarise the company's type of business.

How about (hypothetically):

Washroom Solutions Solutions - manufacturers of cleaning fluids for
toilets
:-)

--
Andy Clews
University of Sussex

Must go and get my haircut somewhere else - My Barber's only has Stuff
magazine and The Sun.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 08:10:55 -0800 (PST), "Man at B&Q"
wrote:

On Jan 29, 2:45*pm, "John" wrote:
Have you noticed the increase of the word "Solutions" on company names.

Examples spotted today:

Washroom Solutions = Bog cleaning contractor

Transport Solutions = Van Hire

Mobility Solutions = Supplier of Mobility Scooters

Office Solutions = Furniture

A bit like "logistics" appearing on delivery vans a few years ago.

Not only did "logistics" appear on vans, but delivery company names
were actually changed to include it.

I recall "EXEL Logistics" back in the late 1980s, and nobody knew what
on earth it meant. There was a subtle clue in the fact that the
company owned vans that were used to deliver things. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Jan 29, 2:45 pm, "John" wrote:
Have you noticed the increase of the word "Solutions" on company names..

Examples spotted today:

Washroom Solutions = Bog cleaning contractor

Transport Solutions = Van Hire

Mobility Solutions = Supplier of Mobility Scooters

Office Solutions = Furniture

A bit like "logistics" appearing on delivery vans a few years ago.

Not only did "logistics" appear on vans, but delivery company names
were actually changed to include it.

I recall "EXEL Logistics" back in the late 1980s, and nobody knew what
on earth it meant. *There was a subtle clue in the fact that the
company owned vans that were used to deliver things. *;-)

but on a real note, "logistics" covers a whole lot more than
"transport" ... logistics will include warehouse location (and
design), analysing supply/demand, stock retention ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Jan 29, 2:45 pm, "John" wrote:
Have you noticed the increase of the word "Solutions" on company names.

Examples spotted today:

Washroom Solutions = Bog cleaning contractor

Transport Solutions = Van Hire

Mobility Solutions = Supplier of Mobility Scooters

Office Solutions = Furniture

A bit like "logistics" appearing on delivery vans a few years ago.

Not only did "logistics" appear on vans, but delivery company names
were actually changed to include it.

I recall "EXEL Logistics" back in the late 1980s, and nobody knew what
on earth it meant. *There was a subtle clue in the fact that the
company owned vans that were used to deliver things. *;-)

but on a real note, "logistics" covers a whole lot more than
"transport" ... logistics will include warehouse location (and
design), analysing supply/demand, stock retention ...

Of course, but none of that was new to most of these companies.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Jan 29, 2:45 pm, "John" wrote:
Have you noticed the increase of the word "Solutions" on company names.

Examples spotted today:

Washroom Solutions = Bog cleaning contractor

Transport Solutions = Van Hire

Mobility Solutions = Supplier of Mobility Scooters

Office Solutions = Furniture

A bit like "logistics" appearing on delivery vans a few years ago.

Not only did "logistics" appear on vans, but delivery company names
were actually changed to include it.

I recall "EXEL Logistics" back in the late 1980s, and nobody knew what
on earth it meant. *There was a subtle clue in the fact that the
company owned vans that were used to deliver things. *;-)

but on a real note, "logistics" covers a whole lot more than
"transport" ... logistics will include warehouse location (and
design), analysing supply/demand, stock retention ...

So why not say that, rather than use a silly buzzword that no-one
understands?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Jan 29, 2:45 pm, wrote:
[...]

Don't be ridiculous. Companies have to use buzzwords and acronyms that
even their employees don't understand.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 29, 11:45*am, "John" wrote:
Have you noticed the increase of the word "Solutions" on company names.

Examples spotted today:

Washroom Solutions = Bog cleaning contractor

Transport Solutions = Van Hire

Mobility Solutions = Supplier of Mobility Scooters

Office Solutions = Furniture

Answer: Dissolving into laughter!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
Have you noticed the increase of the word "Solutions" on company names.

Examples spotted today:

Washroom Solutions = Bog cleaning contractor

Transport Solutions = Van Hire

Mobility Solutions = Supplier of Mobility Scooters

Office Solutions = Furniture

Here is my two penn'orth. It drives me mad on the very frequent occasions
when I see something marked as "New and Improved". That is a physical
impossibility. To be New it cannot have existed previously but to be
improved it must have existed previously. Doh!
--
Tinkerer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 17:51:01 +0000, Invisible Man
wrote:

Don't be ridiculous. Companies have to use buzzwords and acronyms that
even their employees don't understand.

Talking of this, could sks please explain the difference between
"feedback" and "360 degree feedback"?

I suspect 360 degree is used when the talk just goes round in circles,
but I'm not sure.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Jan 29, 2:45 pm, wrote:
[...]

You're absolutely right. I apologise. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Don't be ridiculous. Companies have to use buzzwords and acronyms that
even their employees don't understand.

Talking of this, could sks please explain the difference between
"feedback" and "360 degree feedback"?

I suspect 360 degree is used when the talk just goes round in circles,
but I'm not sure.

It's when you get to be rude about your boss, as well as vice versa.

Ideally this should be anonymous

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 17:14:10 +0000, Bruce wrote:

I recall "EXEL Logistics" back in the late 1980s, and nobody knew

what
on earth it meant. *There was a subtle clue in the fact that the
company owned vans that were used to deliver things. *;-)

but on a real note, "logistics" covers a whole lot more than
"transport" ... logistics will include warehouse location (and
design), analysing supply/demand, stock retention ...

So why not say that, rather than use a silly buzzword that no-one
understands?

Logistics isn't a buzzword in my book. It is the word to use when
describing the activities associated with managing and operating all
aspects of a supply chain.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 18:26:52 -0000, Tinkerer wrote:

Here is my two penn'orth. It drives me mad on the very frequent
occasions when I see something marked as "New and Improved". That is a
physical impossibility. To be New it cannot have existed previously
but to be improved it must have existed previously. Doh!

Or the "all new music station" that plays the same music that it was
playing before it became an "all new music station".

And why is everything an "issue" this days not a "problem" or a
"fault"?

"We are sorry that your internet connection has failed there is an
issue with a router. Engineers are attempting to resolve this issue
as soon as possible."

An "issue" is something a person has with some other action or
decision taken by others. Equipment can't have "issues" it can only
fail or develop and fault.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 17:14:10 +0000, Bruce wrote:

I recall "EXEL Logistics" back in the late 1980s, and nobody knew

what
on earth it meant. There was a subtle clue in the fact that the
company owned vans that were used to deliver things. ;-)

but on a real note, "logistics" covers a whole lot more than
"transport" ... logistics will include warehouse location (and
design), analysing supply/demand, stock retention ...

So why not say that, rather than use a silly buzzword that no-one
understands?

Logistics isn't a buzzword in my book. It is the word to use when
describing the activities associated with managing and operating all
aspects of a supply chain.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Was used in the Army for many years before the commercial world caught up
(Logistics Corps)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Pet hates:

"It was surreal" - overused and not understood.

"And also" - use one or the other - not both.

"Like" - sprinkled into every sentence by those under 30

................back to "solutions". Any really good examples?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
Have you noticed the increase of the word "Solutions" on company
names.
Examples spotted today:

Washroom Solutions = Bog cleaning contractor

Transport Solutions = Van Hire

Mobility Solutions = Supplier of Mobility Scooters

Office Solutions = Furniture

I saw a van with 'Infrastructure Facilities Provider' written on the side -
no 'kin idea what they do.

Spose I could call myself a 'Domestic Dwelling Maintenance Solutions
Enabler'.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 19:54:40 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 17:14:10 +0000, Bruce wrote:

I recall "EXEL Logistics" back in the late 1980s, and nobody knew

what
on earth it meant. *There was a subtle clue in the fact that the
company owned vans that were used to deliver things. *;-)

but on a real note, "logistics" covers a whole lot more than
"transport" ... logistics will include warehouse location (and
design), analysing supply/demand, stock retention ...

So why not say that, rather than use a silly buzzword that no-one
understands?

Logistics isn't a buzzword in my book. It is the word to use when
describing the activities associated with managing and operating all
aspects of a supply chain.

Wrong. The true meaning of logistics is "organisation" and/or
"management". It can apply to almost any aspect of a business, or of
any kind of operation, including military (which was the origin of the
term) to describe the organisation and/or management of resources of
almost any kind, including equipment, materials and people, to achieve
desired goals.

However, the term has been hijacked by the supply chain and given a
narrow usage in relation to the transportation and storage of
supplies.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 20:22:05 -0000, "John"
wrote:

Pet hates:

"It was surreal" - overused and not understood.

"And also" - use one or the other - not both.

"Like" - sprinkled into every sentence by those under 30

"For free" rather than "free" or "for nothing".

"Orient" rather than "orientate".

"Acronym" rather than "initialism".

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Champ wrote:
John J Armstrong wrote:

Talking of this, could sks please explain the difference between
"feedback" and "360 degree feedback"?

It's when you get to be rude about your boss, as well as vice versa.

Except it ought really to be 180º feedback in that case, surely?

Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Jan 29, 2:45 pm, "John" wrote:
[...]

exactly the point they wanted to convey .....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 20:56:07 +0000, Pete Verdon
d wrote:

Andy Champ wrote:
John J Armstrong wrote:

Talking of this, could sks please explain the difference between
"feedback" and "360 degree feedback"?

It's when you get to be rude about your boss, as well as vice versa.

Except it ought really to be 180º feedback in that case, surely?

180 degree feedback is when you criticise your boss.

360 degrees is when he/she responds by giving you the sack.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Champ
wibbled on Friday 29 January 2010 19:53

wrote:

Don't be ridiculous. Companies have to use buzzwords and acronyms that
even their employees don't understand.

Talking of this, could sks please explain the difference between
"feedback" and "360 degree feedback"?

I suspect 360 degree is used when the talk just goes round in circles,
but I'm not sure.

It's when you get to be rude about your boss, as well as vice versa.

Ideally this should be anonymous

Andy

I thought 360 degrees was how some managers got their heads so far up their
arses.

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Pet hates:

"It was surreal" - overused and not understood.

"And also" - use one or the other - not both.

"Like" - sprinkled into every sentence by those under 30

"For free" rather than "free" or "for nothing".

"Orient" rather than "orientate".

"Acronym" rather than "initialism".

I was on a train the other day that "arrived into" Stoke-on-Trent.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
Have you noticed the increase of the word "Solutions" on company names.

Examples spotted today:

Washroom Solutions = Bog cleaning contractor

Transport Solutions = Van Hire

Mobility Solutions = Supplier of Mobility Scooters

Office Solutions = Furniture

10% solutions, your local smack dealer.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bruce wrote:

I was on a train the other day that "arrived into" Stoke-on-Trent.

Probably destinated for Manchester.

Never mind, it'll soon be Feb-u-ary.

--
Ian White
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/01/2010 21:04 Bruce wrote:

I was on a train the other day that "arrived into" Stoke-on-Trent.

As in 'returning back'...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Pet hates:

"It was surreal" - overused and not understood.

"And also" - use one or the other - not both.

"Like" - sprinkled into every sentence by those under 30

"For free" rather than "free" or "for nothing".

"Orient" rather than "orientate".

"Acronym" rather than "initialism".

'administrate' (and yes, I'm back, Cyclopean)

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
John wrote:
Have you noticed the increase of the word "Solutions" on company
names. Examples spotted today:

Washroom Solutions = Bog cleaning contractor

Transport Solutions = Van Hire

Mobility Solutions = Supplier of Mobility Scooters

Office Solutions = Furniture

10% solutions, your local smack dealer.

7% solution - Sherlock Holmes

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
PJ PJ is offline

The Medway Handyman wrote:
John wrote:
Have you noticed the increase of the word "Solutions" on company
names.
Examples spotted today:

Washroom Solutions = Bog cleaning contractor

Transport Solutions = Van Hire

Mobility Solutions = Supplier of Mobility Scooters

Office Solutions = Furniture

I saw a van with 'Infrastructure Facilities Provider' written on the side -
no 'kin idea what they do.

Spose I could call myself a 'Domestic Dwelling Maintenance Solutions
Enabler'.

Only if you bought a longer van.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Pet hates:

"It was surreal" - overused and not understood.

"And also" - use one or the other - not both.

"Like" - sprinkled into every sentence by those under 30

"For free" rather than "free" or "for nothing".

"Orient" rather than "orientate".

"Acronym" rather than "initialism".

'administrate' (and yes, I'm back, Cyclopean)

Welcome back and may any post operation pain be soon a memory.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

On 29/01/2010 20:01, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 18:26:52 -0000, Tinkerer wrote:

Here is my two penn'orth. It drives me mad on the very frequent
occasions when I see something marked as "New and Improved". That is a
physical impossibility. To be New it cannot have existed previously
but to be improved it must have existed previously. Doh!

Or the "all new music station" that plays the same music that it was
playing before it became an "all new music station".

And why is everything an "issue" this days not a "problem" or a
"fault"?

"We are sorry that your internet connection has failed there is an
issue with a router. Engineers are attempting to resolve this issue
as soon as possible."

An "issue" is something a person has with some other action or
decision taken by others. Equipment can't have "issues" it can only
fail or develop and fault.

Because an issue might be an opportunity whereas a problem is entirely
negative ...

It appears that pretty much everyone says "try and ..." - no-one ever
"tries to ...". (I know, I also slip into it, but I try to avoid doing
so all the time. Or should that be ...?)

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 21:59:06 +0000, F news@nowhere wrote:

On 29/01/2010 21:04 Bruce wrote:

I was on a train the other day that "arrived into" Stoke-on-Trent.

As in 'returning back'...

.... or my pet hate, which is "off of". As in:

"We took the tins of paint off of the shelf in Homebase."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 16:01:10 +0000, A.Clews wrote:

Private Eye lampooned this idiotic practice for some time.

Someone sent Private Eye "Sericol: printing solutions". Dunno whether the
sender really knew but PE didn't get it, that Sericol sell actual solutions
of printing inks etc and presumably used the term tongue in cheek.

--
John Stumbles

This message has been rot13 encrypted twice for added security

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
writes

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ill.co.uk...
[...]

Copper sulphate

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Pet hates:

"It was surreal" - overused and not understood.

"And also" - use one or the other - not both.

"Like" - sprinkled into every sentence by those under 30

"For free" rather than "free" or "for nothing".

"Orient" rather than "orientate".

"Acronym" rather than "initialism".

'administrate' (and yes, I'm back, Cyclopean)

Welcome back and may any post operation pain be soon a memory.

Thanks...pain is OK and I slept fine last night despite the poor sod
opposite me (on chemo) throwing up all night. All I had were 2
paracetamol.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/01/2010 23:02, John Rumm wrote:
PJ wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
John wrote:
Have you noticed the increase of the word "Solutions" on company
names.
Examples spotted today:

Washroom Solutions = Bog cleaning contractor

Transport Solutions = Van Hire

Mobility Solutions = Supplier of Mobility Scooters

Office Solutions = Furniture

I saw a van with 'Infrastructure Facilities Provider' written on the
side - no 'kin idea what they do.

Spose I could call myself a 'Domestic Dwelling Maintenance Solutions
Enabler'.

Only if you bought a longer van.

Cue reference to "open all hours" and Arkwright's treacle toffee...

How about "foot pedal" or "2am in the morning" (not to be confused with
2am in the afternoon).

Or "bored of"?

The list is endless.

--
Tim

"That excessive bail ought not to be required, nor excessive fines
imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted"

Bill of Rights 1689
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/01/2010 23:13 Tim Streater wrote:

Or "bored of"?

'Must of'...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , F
writes
On 29/01/2010 23:13 Tim Streater wrote:

Or "bored of"?

'Must of'...

It's not must of, though, is it

it's must've as in "must have" and lazy pronunciation

--
geoff